Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hellboy and the BPRD - 1955 - Occult Intelligence

https://www.newsarama.com/34928-hell...nce-title.html

3 issue miniseries coming up. Sounds like the arc of the series is going to be kicking into gear. Just in time for Hellboy to go on the ultimate bender in Mexico

Anyone read this? Is it worth picking up?

I'm not really on the Roberson train anymore until I hear it's getting good.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The story was really a return to form for me, with a focus on characterization and the hints of a larger conspiracy. This issue was mostly set up, but the pieces they introduced were more than tantalizing enough to keep me interested.

On the downside, though the art captured Hellboy, the Professor and the new monster well the other human agents(especially Stegner and Archie) were nearly unrecognizable as they were rendered too young and carefree.

Still, all in all, I think it's worth picking up.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm reading this, as I still really like the character, Hellboy, and it was pleasant reading, if not thrilling or especially special...
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fantastic Member

I think the thing to remember when reading Hellboy and the BPRD is that this isn't Mignola writing Hellboy. You aren't getting that gravity or importance. It really is a series of fun Hellboy adventures set in the 50s.

That said, it won't be long until we start seeing events which have only been previously described or seen in Christopher Golden's novels. Do we meet Anastasia? Hellboy had a mission go horribly wrong at one point. I think Roberson has set us up with some characters that when that happens, we will be affected. Will we see Simon Anders again?

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    I think the thing to remember when reading Hellboy and the BPRD is that this isn't Mignola writing Hellboy. You aren't getting that gravity or importance. It really is a series of fun Hellboy adventures set in the 50s.

That said, it won't be long until we start seeing events which have only been previously described or seen in Christopher Golden's novels. Do we meet Anastasia? Hellboy had a mission go horribly wrong at one point. I think Roberson has set us up with some characters that when that happens, we will be affected. Will we see Simon Anders again?
    When we see Anders again I hope Josh Dysart, Gabriel Bá & Fábio Moon are involved.

It was a good set up, lots of exposition and setting up characters, but that is expected. The setting of A-Bomb test in the Pacific is interesting. I liked the art, very Eisneresque.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Enjoying Hellboy and the BPRD as a book. Like that Roberson's developing the cast and storylines. Like that, because Mike isn't writing, we're seeing Hellboy in locations and situations that there's no way we would've seen before. Just seeing Hellboy walking around in the suburbs was a trip.

When Mike is writing (and, god willing, drawing) Hellboy that's prime, 100% Hellboy, but this book isn't that and that's okay. It's a BPRD book starring Hellboy and not a Hellboy book, knowwhatImean?

Issue #2 is due out on Wednesday (October 11th).

I really wish these two stories had their own separate arcs as both seem strong enough to live on their own and the extra breathing room would definitely improve both tales.

The following exchange is from The Hellboy Universe Publishing Order sticky thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shargor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shargor View Post
    Also, don't you know, why they decided to leave upcoming Krampusnacht one-shot out of these collections? It's under Hellboy brand.
    My guess is Krampusnacht will be a part of 1955, like the way the short story The Mirror is a part of 1954. Although, don't take this publicity blurb as final. Scott's still working on the right order and debating exactly what to put into each book. Think of this more of a snapshot of the concept at this point in time.
    Sounds reasonable. But to be frank I would prefer both The Mirror and Krampusnacht (and even England short stories) to be collected in Hellboy omnibuses. They are solely written by Mike (!) and stand apart from other Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. stuff. They feel like classic Hellboy.

I perfectly understand the reason behind the decision to put it under Hellboy and B.P.R.D. umbrella. But since the inception Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. series has transformed from anthology (as it was presented) to ongoing with Robinson's overreaching arc, and these Hellboy stories simply don't fit there thematically. They will look like foreign body, when eventually Occult Cold War omnibuses will be released.
    Any further word on whether the Hellboy: Krampusnacht one-shot may be included in a Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. 1955 collected edition thread, and whether any further Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. 1955 issues may get published after Occult Intelligence wraps up next month?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The following exchange is from The Hellboy Universe Publishing Order sticky thread:Any further word on whether the Hellboy: Krampusnacht one-shot may be included in a Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. 1955 collected edition thread, and whether any further Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. 1955 issues may get published after Occult Intelligence wraps up next month?
    No news yet. As far as I know, 1955 is only Secret Nature and Occult Intelligence so far.

I really liked the second issue . . . almost wish they had used all five 1955 issues to tell this story / stories.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 10-17-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I really liked the second issue . . . almost wish they had used all five 1955 issues to tell this story / stories.
    Me too, minus the "almost".