Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

3rd (and final) issue is due out this coming Wednesday (November 8th).

The Final 1955 issue.

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1955 – Burning Season
    Mike Mignola (W), Chris Roberson (W), Paolo Rivera (P/Cover), Joe Rivera (I), and Dave Stewart (C)
    On sale Feb 21
    FC, 32 pages
    $3.99
    One-shot
    Hellboy investigates a rash of spontaneous human combustions in a Florida town unlike any supernatural phenomena he’s seen before–and the fire has an appetite for Bureau agents.
    • Paolo Rivera returns!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The Final 1955 issue.

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1955 – Burning Season
    Mike Mignola (W), Chris Roberson (W), Paolo Rivera (P/Cover), Joe Rivera (I), and Dave Stewart (C)
    On sale Feb 21
    FC, 32 pages
    $3.99
    One-shot
    Hellboy investigates a rash of spontaneous human combustions in a Florida town unlike any supernatural phenomena he’s seen before–and the fire has an appetite for Bureau agents.
    • Paolo Rivera returns!

https://www.newsarama.com/37249-mign...citations.html

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Hellboy and dinosaurs? I'm down!
    As for the story that just concluded? Although I still think the two stories would have been better served if they had been allowed more room on their own I loved the set up for the future.

No fanfare for this last storyline, huh? It's a shame what has become of the Mignolaverse...

No fanfare for this last storyline, huh? It's a shame what has become of the Mignolaverse...
    I think it has more to do with fewer active members on the board than the mignolaverse as a whole. Our community here has been dwindling since the Hellboy fansite that originally inspired this board closed down and then with the reset of the boards we lost a few more.

Paolo Rivera, spontaneous human combustions and dinosaurs!?! That is cool.

And it deserves a little fanfare indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think it has more to do with fewer active members on the board than the mignolaverse as a whole. Our community here has been dwindling since the Hellboy fansite that originally inspired this board closed down and then with the reset of the boards we lost a few more.
    I mean the dwindling quality of the stories.

I mean the dwindling quality of the stories.
    Can't say I've been feeling to witness that. At all.

What I do feel to see is a change of pace in the rosters or sollicitations. A change of scale or scope to the number of titles coming out.

Since some main ones seem to have come full circle recently.

I honestly believe there are still a few gems around the corner, eventhough some of those might be to coincide with the movie coming out more rather than sooner.

Like I'm hoping for more Lobster, another Corben Hellboy mini and more Mignola-drawn Hellverse material ideally.

Next to more B.P.R.D., more Witchfinder (kind of hoping for a special Edward Grey OGN HC installment) and also Hellboy & The BPRD continuing its (finite?) course.

Dwindling quality I do not feel to have seen, not this year or at any point as yet.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I just think Roberson has turned in some turds. Sorry.

He's certainly been inconsistent but I liked this last one, and I'm looking forward to the next.

I wonder if the wrap-ups to Hellboy in Hell and, even more recently, BPRD: Hell on Earth storylines may also change how people are viewing some things.

Spectacular Member

I'm just struggling to get excited about anything Roberson is writing, he has some good story ideas - like I love the Occult War idea, but his dialogue and pacing are so poor. I'm often hard on Allie's writing but even he does a much better job imo, especially over on BPRD.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lobster View Post
    I'm just struggling to get excited about anything Roberson is writing, he has some good story ideas - like I love the Occult War idea, but his dialogue and pacing are so poor. I'm often hard on Allie's writing but even he does a much better job imo, especially over on BPRD.
    I know exactly what you mean, but in my own reading I've come to realize that I can influence that.

I can lighten or either aggravate my own struggling with stuff.

I don't usually look for anything to blame the struggle on except anything within my own self, within my own viewing of things. Also since struggling won't be weird, or unwarranted, it's not a dropping of the ball.

When "Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead" first came out and I read it I thought it felt a bit different, like a bit of a side thing, with pretty exceptional artwork and flow. I put it down. But a time later (maybe years later) I read it again and I could like it fine, not as a world-bending, continuity-altering mega-event kind of gig, but just... allright.

From then on I've always tried not to fuss or dread stuff too much. Ever. Like as if I could, for any title or book, no matter how many or few.
    And I feel I'm succeeding, with one character remaining under some scrutiny still - being (Cameron Stewart's) Ashley Strode - the stories to which I've not yet read.

As soon as I feel up to reading and parsing Ashley's involvement I will, but until then I won't dismiss or criticize the quality to her writing and stuff, since for me it wouldn't feel right to.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-14-2017 at 09:40 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

All-New Member

I think Roberson has done very solid work on Witchfinder, Curse of the Black Flame, and The Visitor. Hellboy & the BPRD has been my least favorite but not enough for me to say its bad. I feel like Roberson's half of '53 was great and that '55 has been solid. I think he's been a little exposition heavy but then again I feel Hellboy books always have been. I think the art and exposition in the past has maybe been married a little better but I think he's getting there.

I was worried about losing Arcudi on BPRD but three issues in on the new arc and I think its been really solid. Glad to see some of the vampire elements being brought into the fold. I also think that quick pace second half War of Frogs and all of Hell on Earth can make some of the other less mythology heavy books seem a little slow or like they're retreading ground which I think is a little unfair. Its nice having these smaller stories that hint at other later stories and I'm glad they're building there own arc through H&BPRD. Now I just have my fingers crossed for some post Hellboy in Hell stories with Edward Grey and some more Sledgehammer 44!!