Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default We should really make ourselves heard to DC about Mark Waid on Superman

I can't believe he hasn't had a full run on the character yet. It's almost a crime. He's one of the biggest Superman fans, probably the biggest one, and he deserves to make his mark on the character. He understands him better than anyone. He belongs in DC. I'm pretty sure that would return Superman to be a best-selling title.

I know Johns had dinner with him some months ago. I hope they were "fixing bridges".

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

While I would certainly like to see him write more Superman stories, he's already made his mark on Superman. Kingdom Come and Birthright are frequently mentioned as two of the best Superman stories ever.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Not that I'd turn down the chance to read Mark Waid doing current Superman (family and all), but like 3AM says, he's sort of made his big mark. Right now I'm actually EXTREMELY interested in seeing the brilliant and relatively new Tom King have a run on Superman. Same goes for Orlando, Seeley, and Parker. Mariko Tamaki is also someone I'd be very, very interested in seeing write Superman for an extended run.

Again, Waid is fantastic. I even made a thread expressing how much I'd like to see him write something Superman related, but I'm far more interested in seeing what some other writers have in mind.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member

I'd love him on a Super-title.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I like Waid, didn't like Birthright (like some did), but I'd give Waid a shot again (and hope editorial reigns him in).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    . . . Right now I'm actually EXTREMELY interested in seeing the brilliant and relatively new Tom King have a run on Superman. Same goes for Orlando . . .
    Amazing . . . you've named two writers that would likely KILL any interest I have in continuing to follow Superman.
    And besides, how many books does Waid write these days? Would he really be able to give Superman the time and attention he deserves?

Yea, Tom King's take on Batman (while interesting and works enough for Batman given the Snyder era) indicates to me that he'd be a very poor choice to do Superman comics. Too dark as far as tastes, more a psycho Bats approach vs O'Neill/Wagner/Morrison/etc.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-16-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Tom King's Batman isn't bad because its dark, it's because he's an obnoxious Batman fanboy writing Batman. His first arc is about Batman's limitations in a Gotham with Superman level people to do his job and it's also the story where he rofl stomps Solomon Grundy with one move.

Basically the epitome of "Batman is the greatest ever because of his humanity so I'm gonna write him as OP as humanly possible because he's so cool!".

If King doesn't have anything approaching something of a stupid mentality like that for Superman, he could do a really great job.

I'm not going to lie, I don't want Waid anywhere near Superman anymore. His comics at Marvel have become nothing more than toxic progressive mouthpieces where he forces identity politics and social justice preaching into his writing. Superman can do without that kind of propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I'm not going to lie, I don't want Waid anywhere near Superman anymore. His comics at Marvel have become nothing more than toxic progressive mouthpieces where he forces identity politics and social justice preaching into his writing. Superman can do without that kind of propaganda.
    That's a totally understandable concern, I had issues with Birthright partially on those grounds (among other grounds). I wouldn't want him on Superman if he were trying to pull that stuff. I haven't read anything of his since his DC days, so I don't know what his style is like anymore, or where his attention is at.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    That's a totally understandable concern, I had issues with Birthright partially on those grounds (among other grounds). I wouldn't want him on Superman if he were trying to pull that stuff. I haven't read anything of his since his DC days, so I don't know what his style is like anymore, or where his attention is at.
    It's gotten much worse than the political agenda he was pushing in Birthright. His Champions series in particular is basically written to cater to social justice warriors than comic book fans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    It's gotten much worse than the political agenda he was pushing in Birthright. His Champions series in particular is basically written to cater to social justice warriors than comic book fans.
    Why can't one be both?

That said, I'd love for Mark Waid to write a full and proper run on Superman. KC, BR, and his all too brief run on JLA just isn't enough for me, personally.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

If anyone deserves to write Superman, IMO it's Mark. I would love to see him and Samnee on the character, bringing the same kind of magic they brought to Daredevil. As for an editor? Tomasi would be perfect I think. While I think he would do a great job with super-family, I would love to see him tackle early Supes - pre-identity reveal to Lois. I wish we had more modern stories with their classic dynamic.

My ideal Mark Waid Superman book would be a monthly ongoing, 25+ issues, post-Birthright, pre-identity reveal to Lois, in-continuity, utilizing some (but not constrained to) the continuity of the excellent post-Byrne/pre-Death era, with Chris Samnee and Doc Shaner on rotating arcs, colored by Javier Rodriguez, lettered by Carmagna, edited by Tomasi or Wacker, following up on some of Morrison's ideas in AC, maintaining Supes's 'champion of the oppressed' identity, major use of SA ideas/characters such as Lori and Krypto, and, most of all, a great modern Kandor story (there isn't one, sadly).

I can dream, can't I?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post
    If anyone deserves to write Superman, IMO it's Mark. I would love to see him and Samnee on the character, bringing the same kind of magic they brought to Daredevil. As for an editor? Tomasi would be perfect I think. While I think he would do a great job with super-family, I would love to see him tackle early Supes - pre-identity reveal to Lois. I wish we had more modern stories with their classic dynamic.

My ideal Mark Waid Superman book would be a monthly ongoing, 25+ issues, post-Birthright, pre-identity reveal to Lois, in-continuity, utilizing some (but not constrained to) the continuity of the excellent post-Byrne/pre-Death era, with Chris Samnee and Doc Shaner on rotating arcs, colored by Javier Rodriguez, lettered by Carmagna, edited by Tomasi or Wacker, following up on some of Morrison's ideas in AC, maintaining Supes's 'champion of the oppressed' identity, major use of SA ideas/characters such as Lori and Krypto, and, most of all, a great modern Kandor story (there isn't one, sadly).

I can dream, can't I?
    Doc Shaner and Waid? Count me in.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post

I can dream, can't I?
    That's how I would want it too if Waid were to do Superman again. Absolutely that's how I'd want it to go. Except my ideal would have him less allowed to view all of Birthright as canon and use or reference or keep to everything in it.