Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    How does Kurt Busiek compare to your big 4 writers?
    You were not asking me, but I find Kurt's writing kind of boring. He looks back too much for inspiration. I did enjoy his run on Conan, and find him to be the classiest guy on the internet. A great person who I don't think would ever air his dirty laundry with DC online (man I hope Didio holds a grudge still against Waid reprints aside)

I'd give his run a read as I did last time. I wouldn't expect much.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    How does Kurt Busiek compare to your big 4 writers?
    I guess he's a better fit for Superman than Rucka and Johns are, and his run was pretty good, but nothing spectacular either. I wouldn't mind him coming back, but I think I'd still want one of the newer talents I mentioned instead.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Amazing . . . you've named two writers that would likely KILL any interest I have in continuing to follow Superman.
    And besides, how many books does Waid write these days? Would he really be able to give Superman the time and attention he deserves?
    What about the other Mark....Mark Millar? Yes or no to him as well?
    Last edited by C-Dot; 06-20-2017 at 09:51 PM.

I thought everyone liked Mark Millar. Red Son and Adventures.

Whose this we?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I thought everyone liked Mark Millar. Red Son and Adventures.
    Hahahahahahaha!

Incredible Member

I would be more interested in Waid on Supergirl (the last time he did the character was B&TB; it was FUN) and Busiek on Superboy (where I think he'd tap more into the mythic qualities of a would-be Superman). Maybe even a Waid/Peyer collaboration.

I also think Priest would be a fantastic choice for a Conner Kent book. I envision Conner with a kind of CW show setup with Cadmus taking the place of STAR Labs or Team Arrow. Maybe a costume that borrows from the Pasqual Ferry tracksuit but real leather with a black T-shirt underneath. Priest's setups have always been similar to the CW shows. His Deathstroke is, in some ways, a CW show on acid. He tried to give Triumph a support team. He created Steel's supporting cast. Part of how you sell Conner, IMHO, and differentiate him from Jon is to comb through the past runs and give him a supporting cast.

Simon Valentine, Serling Roquette, Tana Moon, Jim Harper, Jake Jordan. They can all be part of his supporting cast at once thanks to the vagueness of continuity right now. Give Priest the ingredients and let him go.

For Superman proper, I lean towards Tom King and Jonathan Hickman if we're talking new creative teams.

Though maybe give Waid a very premium format book that does the whole Superman Family in a big 12 issue yarn. Let him shake up that dynamic with a big idea threat worthy of a JLA story that can influence the monthlies.

The big thing is, I'm more interested in seeing Waid on his own playground. He's at his finest when you give him a corner of the world to run with and "own" for the duration of his run.

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    If this hypothetical Waid book is anything like his Champions, I'd rather eat a rat **** covered brick then read it.
    LOL, That made me laugh... and I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I really don't care for his Superman on anything he's produced and I can't see him being good moving forward. I actually don't like anything by King or Orlando I have read but at least I would give them a read on Hoopla to see if they could change my mind.

I can't see me ever reading a Mark Waid book even for free. I don't like his writing or his public statements filled with nasty.

Conversations like these always make me sad, as they remind me that the two really fantastic creative teams we currently enjoy will one day come to an end. I hope it is no time soon.
    Yup
    Personally if he never touches a Superman title again would still be too soon.
    I may be one of the few but I thought Birthright was horrible.
    Horrible enough that it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth 14 years later.

I did like his Superman in JLA and Kingdom Come.
    I believe that he would be better suited to write Superman in a "Team" book but not guide him in his own series, or have any influence on the main titles.
    Last edited by durabill; 06-23-2017 at 06:11 AM.

I hate to be the nooby but what is this Mark Waid public comments controversy?

It's been awhile since I paid any attention to him but he has a tendency to have meltdowns online when he gets let go. Maybe it was a little understandable at crossgen as that company really did screw people over on money but even then he came off as an ass to me. He also had a temper tantrum as he left DC then later about the movie (I didn't like it either but I'm not trying to write DC comic books) They re-solicited his Flash trade (I never cared for his Flash and the speed force is awful) and he had another obnoxious temper tantrum till someone pointed out the line he somehow missed about it being re-solicited.

I don't twitter but I hear he's the Denny O'neil GL/GA era of ham fisted politics online. I'd believe it as I was enjoying his DD run till he lost his mind with the every cop and judge in a city is a dirty racist story. I don't read Marvel but it's pretty easy for me to believe he's deteriorated further.

My biggest dislike of him writing Superman is his really unappealing take on Superman and DC characters in general. I would not be reading anything he does here at DC though I did read his Archie from the Library and it was an OK modern take. I wouldn't buy it he's just not my thing. Do have the first half of his DD run and it's surprisingly good for Waid.
    Last edited by Tony; 06-23-2017 at 11:01 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    I would be more interested in Waid on Supergirl (the last time he did the character was B&TB; it was FUN) and Busiek on Superboy (where I think he'd tap more into the mythic qualities of a would-be Superman). Maybe even a Waid/Peyer collaboration.

I also think Priest would be a fantastic choice for a Conner Kent book. I envision Conner with a kind of CW show setup with Cadmus taking the place of STAR Labs or Team Arrow. Maybe a costume that borrows from the Pasqual Ferry tracksuit but real leather with a black T-shirt underneath. Priest's setups have always been similar to the CW shows. His Deathstroke is, in some ways, a CW show on acid. He tried to give Triumph a support team. He created Steel's supporting cast. Part of how you sell Conner, IMHO, and differentiate him from Jon is to comb through the past runs and give him a supporting cast.

Simon Valentine, Serling Roquette, Tana Moon, Jim Harper, Jake Jordan. They can all be part of his supporting cast at once thanks to the vagueness of continuity right now. Give Priest the ingredients and let him go.

For Superman proper, I lean towards Tom King and Jonathan Hickman if we're talking new creative teams.
    I could pretty much roll with all of this. Busiek writing anything in DC with the word super in front of it is an automatic "take my money, you fools." Secret Identity is part of my personal Superman bible, and Busiek's Superman run still holds the crown for best in all of its publication.

Tom King and/or Jonathan Hickman even coming on to Superman for a grand total of 3 issues is enough to constitute world peace. F4/FF are more than enough to give Hickman the job (anything more is just flexin). And King doesn't know it yet but he's predestined to be one of the great Superman writers of the modern era.

I hadn't even considered Priest on a Kon-El book, but you've sold me (via Deathstroke of all books). He's on record saying that his imagined Superman run wouldn't go down to well with the current editors, but given that Kon is pretty rudderless (and has been for a while now), I think Priest might have the room to be allowed to work. It's funny that you say his DS book is like a CW book because he says that he was specifically told by Johns to make the book very adaptation friendly. And honestly, I think the sort of "attractive people melodrama" that is the CW might work with Kon as you've already said.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Loved KC, loved Birthright, but I don't want to see Waid on an in-continuity Superman book. The Waid of 2017 doesn't seem capable of keeping his political ideologies out of his writing, which is why he's perfect for what Marvel Comics has become and why both are no longer appealing to me. I also seem to recall that Waid was asked about possible future work at DC and he said he had ideas for Captain Marvel. I'd rather what he'd do there than a return to Superman. The person I want on Superman most at this point is Paul Dini, with art by Doc Shaner.