Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why is Hippolyte the only Amazon allowed to have children?

Reading the Donna Thread below, it has gotten me to wondering, I know for story sake, to make Diana and Donna siblings, Hippolyte would have to be the one to adopt Donna, but Why is Hippolyte the only Amazon allowed to have any children?

I know they went into this a little bit with Gail Simone's "The Circle" storyline, but I would like for them to go a little further into why. Why only the Queen of the Amazons?

It kinda can be ignored, if Diana is the only child born and raised on the island, especially depending on story point of Hippolyte being the only Amazon Pregnant at her original death. But when Diana is born, and the other Amzons see how wonderful she is, wouldn't they want children too? The more children you bring onto the island, the more questions I think would be raised by the other Amazons. Is she only allowed because she is Queen?

I know Nu52 kinda also answered this, but it never seemed as if the NuAmazons were very maternal, even to the girl children they DID keep.

So far Hippolyte has
    Diana
    Nubia
    Donna
    Helena (Though she's a bit crazy)
    Lyte for a Granddaughter.

I think some of these Amazons should go to other Amazons.
    Last edited by richalex; 06-16-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    Richard Alexander

It's to make Diana more special. However, that wasn't always the case . In the golden age any amazon can have a children. They would make their child out of clay. In Legend of Wonder Woman the gods blessed the amazons with new souls in their wombs.

I don't like this. Diana shouldn't be the only children born. I would love to see children abnormal thing on amazons. Diana 'a origin can still be clay and the rest can be the origin for legend of Wonder Woman. I still don't mind that the rest of the amazons children would be clay. It sets up that Diana has to Fight to win Wonder Woman title

In most colonies of exclusively females only the queen has children. Ants, bees, wasps, termites. All the workers are female but only the queen produces offspring.

The amazons shouldn't be like that. Things should be more fair. I think it also hurts storylines a bit. If many amazons have Paradise, some would want children . I mean the Golden Age amazons clearly showed there are amazons children. I know many say it takes away from Diana being special . There are other ways to have amazons have children . I mean like I said in legend of Wonder Woman the gods give the amazons souls. Hippoltya can have the clay and the amazons can have the clay. I would easily make it that she was cursed by and can't hooded a soul.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-16-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Yes, but also, each Amazon works long and hard everyday on the island. Everyone having children would not only detract from their long days, but also sideline all of their hours of daily training. Yes, I know in real life people are busy and still have children. And the Amazons could have a nursery and school for the young, but that is not their culture or what they are about.

I think things should be as they are, with only a few special children and only allowed to Queen Hippolyta.

What about the many stories both from golden age and modern ones where we see not all the amazons are warriors but no other things?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-16-2017 at 04:20 PM.

I would have to disagree. Marston and many other writers show us that the amazons have other jobs than warriors. Healers, builders, blacksmiths. Marston does show the amazons are more than warriors, Perez does show us this and Rucka shows us this. So why not let her have children? Many aren't always called to the same task.

It's not everyone cup of tea. I can understand why. Especially after the sex pirates
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-16-2017 at 04:19 PM.

I didn't say it can't happen. I just said that they are dedicated to training or teaching or science. For a long time now, they have not born children. Physically, they can probably all bear children as long as they are healthy and fertile, etc. I think the few children who have been is what makes them special.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, but also, each Amazon works long and hard everyday on the island. Everyone having children would not only detract from their long days, but also sideline all of their hours of daily training. Yes, I know in real life people are busy and still have children. And the Amazons could have a nursery and school for the young, but that is not their culture or what they are about.

I think things should be as they are, with only a few special children and only allowed to Queen Hippolyta.
    I never said all Amazons would want children. I asked why is Hippolyte the only one WITH children. Just like in the real world, some people would not want children, but some would.
    Richard Alexander

I didn't say it can't happen. I just said that they are dedicated to training or teaching or science. For a long time now, they have not born children. Physically, they can probably all bear children as long as they are healthy and fertile, etc. I think the few children who have been is what makes them special.
    If they are dedicated to training and teaching and science, wouldn't it only make sense that they would want to teach the young this? Eventually, everyone on the Island is going to know the same things. (OF course some will be better than others.)
    Richard Alexander

Sorry, I don't know why Hippolyta is the only one. Maybe as a special favor from the goddesses to the Queen?

I don't think the goddesses care about all the personal wants of each Amazon per se, as in this area, or they would have allowed it/given them children.

Well Perez explained it that Hippoltya was the only one pregnant . I think that origin stuck . I would like amazon children to come back and not just queen Hippoltya. That if a amazon does want a child she can have one.

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Reading the Donna Thread below, it has gotten me to wondering, I know for story sake, to make Diana and Donna siblings, Hippolyte would have to be the one to adopt Donna, but Why is Hippolyte the only Amazon allowed to have any children?

I know they went into this a little bit with Gail Simone's "The Circle" storyline, but I would like for them to go a little further into why. Why only the Queen of the Amazons?

It kinda can be ignored, if Diana is the only child born and raised on the island, especially depending on story point of Hippolyte being the only Amazon Pregnant at her original death. But when Diana is born, and the other Amzons see how wonderful she is, wouldn't they want children too? The more children you bring onto the island, the more questions I think would be raised by the other Amazons. Is she only allowed because she is Queen?

I know Nu52 kinda also answered this, but it never seemed as if the NuAmazons were very maternal, even to the girl children they DID keep.

So far Hippolyte has
    Diana
    Nubia
    Donna
    Helena (Though she's a bit crazy)
    Lyte for a Granddaughter.

I think some of these Amazons should go to other Amazons.
    Well you're talking about a couple different Hippolyte (a) across a few continuities,,,,

So
    Pre Crisis Earth 2 Hippolyte has Diana with Lyta as a grand daughter
    Pre Crisis Earth 1 Hippolyta has Diana, Nubia, Donna (adopted)

Post Crisis Earth Hippolyte had Diana, Donna (don't get me started on THAt continuity), Helena (Fury, after Hippolyte went back in time, but then all that later was retconned)

Ultimate Member

I don't think that it'd necessarily take away from Diana being "special." You could simply explain that the circumstances of her birth/conception/creation/whatever are different from the rest and that that plays into why she's "special."

I really don't see an issue with the other Amazons being able to have children personally.

Teaching who though? the same people you've been living with for centuries?

the other thread about them being slaves makes me wonder.... they were slaves of Hercules at some point... what do you think DC comics Hercules would do with slaves who are pretty women? Maybe some of them are grand-daughters of Zeus?