Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    If you get a chance and like animated series, check out Kipo, Tales of Arcadia, and She-Ra.
    Thanks for the tips but unfortunately I've lost nearly all interest in animated stuff.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I just finished The 100. I'm unsure whether I liked the finale. I guess I didn't hate it.

Watched a documentary about genetic engineering last night called Human Nature. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in that sort of thing.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Season 2 is kinda awful.
    Of Titans?

Or did you mean season two of Mike Flanagan's "The Haunting..." series, in which Bly Manor is season two, after Hill House?

I actually just finished watching The Haunting of Bly Manor. A very affecting piece of work. I'm not even sure if "The Haunting..." series can be classified as pure horror, as there's a lot of sentimental moments. I actually teared up quite a bit during this season. I think the second season works so much better if you think about haunting as a more emotionally devastating experience than a scary one.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Astonishing Member

Tried to watch Blood of Zeus which has been praised. I found it highly cliched and predictable. We've seen versions of this story many times. Skipped to the last episode and it was totally predictable. Boring. Greek mythology is been done so many times that who cares anymore?

I started watching Beaststars. Legoshi is too relatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Tried to watch Blood of Zeus which has been praised. I found it highly cliched and predictable. We've seen versions of this story many times. Skipped to the last episode and it was totally predictable. Boring. Greek mythology is been done so many times that who cares anymore?
    Honestly kind of surprised there aren't more anime (or manga) about Greek Mythology. Or at least adaptations.

Besides Saint Seiya, of course. They sometimes pop up as minor characters in other series, but rarely in their own story. Like Hercules.

The Queen's Gambit.

I liked it. It started off well, and finished kinda cheesy. The cast were all pretty great, and their interactions were the highlight of the show.
    The more I think about the story, the more I have problems with it. I guess a show like this, in my mind, probably benefits from binging, because you don't think about it too deeply.

So while it was well made in every respect, the story wasn't great. It just kinda nose dived into wish fulfillment. Which isn't to say it didn't present itself as the Harry Potter of Chess stories, but that's what it is. I enjoyed my time watching it, because again, it is very well done and everyone in it is a delight. Just don't linger on it, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The Queen's Gambit.

I liked it. It started off well, and finished kinda cheesy. The cast were all pretty great, and their interactions were the highlight of the show.
    The more I think about the story, the more I have problems with it. I guess a show like this, in my mind, probably benefits from binging, because you don't think about it too deeply.

So while it was well made in every respect, the story wasn't great. It just kinda nose dived into wish fulfillment. Which isn't to say it didn't present itself as the Harry Potter of Chess stories, but that's what it is. I enjoyed my time watching it, because again, it is very well done and everyone in it is a delight. Just don't linger on it, I guess.
    Yeah, i enjoyed the show but the finale in particular was a bit eyeroll-inducing. Felt like all of a sudden they were like, "hey wait a minute we only have one episode to wrap all this up!". Anya Taylor-Joy put in great performance though, kinda makes me want to watch New Mutants (but i won't until i can see it for free)

Never watched Dexter so i've been checking it out on Netflix. Almost done with Season 2 and enjoying it so far, although i'm well aware of its reputation as a show that goes off the rails in later seasons.

Anya Taylor Joy is great. Been a fan since The Witch.

Marielle Heller (stepping in front of the camera) who plays her mother is also just fantastic. Those two were a lot of fun to watch.

I think the cast are why it succeeded.

Hillbilly Elegy. I'll sit through anything with Amy Adams in it, she's off the hook in this one. Glenn Close is pretty unrecognizable too.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Watch Umbrella Academy S2. Was better than S1 (which I liked) as everyone says.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Finishing the last episode of the second season of Between. It’s pretty terrible but I hung in there to see how it would end.
    I feel like the writers should send me a medal or plaque or something.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 11-26-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I stalled out about 3/4 of the way through Umbrella Academy season 1. I like it well enough but it's not really must-see viewing. I'll get back to it soon.

Wishing for another season of She-Ra. STILL eagerly awaiting new seasons of Hilda and Disenchantment.

The Liberator. There has been some negative reviews about the rotoscope way it was produced. But I found it a pretty decent, gritty WWII drama.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Honestly kind of surprised there aren't more anime (or manga) about Greek Mythology. Or at least adaptations.

Besides Saint Seiya, of course. They sometimes pop up as minor characters in other series, but rarely in their own story. Like Hercules.
    I thought "Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon" to be a unique take on mythology storytelling and have quite enjoyed the series.