Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast

I made it to season 2 after being repeatedly told how great it was, and I just didn't get it. The acting is bad. The stories are trite and cliche. The kids are pretty terrible.

I just couldn't get in to it.

I slogged through Jingle Jangle. Beautiful set design and costumes and a likable cast could not make up for a slow, dull story. But then again, I guess I wasn’t the target audience for this.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

BANNED

Right now I am in the middle of Brigerton. It's okay, gorgeous to look at, but far behind the BBC Regency era productions. The dialogue is clunky and at times makes me cringe. And the lead heroine...is just awful. Her acting is flat and boring and she doesn't light up the screen with her presence the way so many British actors do. I see her and immediately think she should be running a fan site for BTS. She just comes across like a silly girl.

That being said, I am really taken with Rene-Jean Page. I wasn't impressed with him in the trailers, he just came across as if he was doing an imitation of Colin Firth's Darcy. But as I started to watch him in the show I came to like him and found him to be quite layered. His brooding act isn't an affectation it's the effect of an abusive childhood.
    If Marvel/Disney reconsiders re-casting T'Challa they should look at him. He really has the intelligence, humility and charisma to pull it off.

Snowpiercer. Got through the early episodes slowly as the nominal main character is a bit too generic a good guy in a bad situation, but then we found out that Sean Bean is in season two and kept at it. Worth it as things pick up considerably with Jennifer Connelly's character, and Bean is a magnificent bastard. The themes of class struggle and political turmoil are fairly well done, though the actual logistics of humanity living on a single massive train can be a little sketchy.

Not watching it yet because it hasn't started streaming, but a friend and I do plan to check out The Irregulars.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I finally started watching The Blacklist and have to say James Spader was born to play this role.

I don't keep up with the service like I used to but I like that when I want it, it will be there and for less than 20 bucks a month, I can't quite trip. Especially for the older stuff.

Anyway I see they dropped Scarface, I'll give that a spin. Other than that the last couple things I did get through-

Malcolm and Marie, ehh.
    Stowaway I still need to finish but I like it so far.
    I dig having Michael Jordan The Last Dance here when I want to sit through a chunk.
    Sat through Dolemite Is My Name again. I think I liked it better than Coming to America 2
    White Boy (Rick) was pretty good.
    I really liked The Trial of the Chicago 7

Now MillarWorld is getting going with Jupiter's Legacy coming out this weekend. It looks dope and I'm not one that really dug Kingsman all that well, Kick-Ass was OK, not something I really ever go back to and the less said about Wanted the Better but this one looks the whole part.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

Yasuke- I enjoyed it, some were disappointed cuz they thought it would be historically accurate. Nah it was more in the vein of sci-fi fantasy. My fav character ended up being the Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I made it to season 2 after being repeatedly told how great it was, and I just didn't get it. The acting is bad. The stories are trite and cliche. The kids are pretty terrible.

I just couldn't get in to it.
    You're talking about Cobra Kai, right?

If so, you made me feel better. I thought it was pretty garbage, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Working on the latest seasons of Hilda and Disenchantment, then planning to move on to Locke & Key and Shadow and Bone. Maybe Cursed and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

I think I've crapped out on Umbrella Academy, 8 episodes into season 1. There are some good points, but the Vanya/Leonard thing is just agony.

Extraordinary Member

Kind of late to the game, but I just started watching Kim's Convenience. That show is hilarious!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Kind of late to the game, but I just started watching Kim's Convenience. That show is hilarious!
    I also just started "Kim's Convenience" off my wife's rec. It's okay so far, but I can see why they cast Simu in the lead as he's pretty charismatic and that's what Marvel seems to look for in their leads more than typical "action hero stoicism."

I'm also watching "Shadow and Bone" - It's good, but I think the fact that it's an adaptation from a series of books is showing as the pacing seems off to me.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-05-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm also watching "Shadow and Bone" - It's good, but I think the fact that it's an adaptation from a series of books is showing as the pacing seems off to me.
    Just finished Shadow and Bone. It was enjoyable even if predictable. While there were your typical fantasy YA tropes, most of the characters were likable and there was some nice world-building

Agreed, the pacing is off I don't think the three interconnected stories always worked well together.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Just finished Shadow and Bone. It was enjoyable even if predictable. While there were your typical fantasy YA tropes, most of the characters were likable and there was some nice world-building

Agreed, the pacing is off I don't think the three interconnected stories always worked well together.
    I really enjoyed it. I thought the cast were all good, and the storyline interesting.

On the pacing issues: part of the problem it had was, as I understand it, the central storyline involving Alina is considered the least popular of the book series from that universe, whereas the spin-off duology featuring the group of thieves was the most popular, so they merged it all together. Sometimes it was obvious that the stories just didn't interlock as well as they might.

Even so, it kept me interested enough to see me through to the end, unlike The Irregulars which simply didn't hold my attention.

Spectacular Member

Trying to get through Shadow and Bone. Typical YA stuff which I am not a fan of. The actors are good but will probably stop watching. I might get back to it after watching Jupiter's Legacy starting Friday. Stranger Things is coming back so that is good.