Default DC Movie Ranking

So, with one era of DC films ending and another on the horizon, what's everyone's personal ranking of the movies we've gotten so far?

Mine, from favorite to hated:
    - Wonder Woman
    - The Dark Knight
    - Batman ('89)
    - Batman Returns
    - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    - Joker
    - Aquaman
    - Wonder Woman 1984
    - Batman Begins
    - Superman
    - The Batman
    - Superman II
    - The Suicide Squad
    - The Dark Knight Rises
    - Watchmen
    - Batman Forever
    - Shazam!
    - Constantine
    - Birds of Prey
    - Man of Steel
    - Superman Returns
    - Batman & Robin
    - Batman ('66)
    - Superman III
    - The LEGO Batman Movie
    - Black Adam
    - Green Lantern
    - Suicide Squad
    - Supergirl
    - Superman: The Quest for Peace
    - Jonah Hex
    - Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
    - Catwoman
    - Justice League (both of them)

I didn't include the direct-to-video/DVD movies; only theatrical releases, and there are a handful I haven't seen.

What are yours?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Not gonna rank all, but for today, I'd probably say:
    - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm; Superman (1978)
    - Joker (which I don't even really consider a comic book film or a Batman film)
    - Batman ('89); Batman Returns
    - Superman II (sadly, someone needs to like mix the Lester cut with the Donner cut to get the best version of this film)
    - Batman Begins (clearly better than The Dark Knight)
    - Wonder Woman
    - The Dark Knight (Heath's Joker is the best part of an overly bloated film)
    - Justice League Snyder Cut (aka Zack Snyder's Justice League)

(the films I don't bother to rank I don't think much of for one reason or another, some I didn't rank require a rewatch, like Aquaman)

Definitely won't rank: Batman ('66)...I love the film but I consider it off in its own little comedy world, it's like an extended episode of the show really to me (so much so that I put the film DVD disc in with the show DVD collection).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-30-2022 at 06:33 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

The Dark Knight (easily the best imo, and certainly my favorite)
    Superman: The Movie (some of it is cheesy now, but it has really withstood the test of time - it's just Superman, perfectly)
    Superman II (I place it as tied with the first - Zod is such an iconic villain here)
    Joker (a surprisingly effective Joker Elseworld movie, can't wait for the sequel!)
    The Batman (nowhere as good as TDK, but it's the closest movie of that scale and quality we've gotten since!)
    Batman Returns (a movie that improved on the last, and holy heck Catwoman was wow!)
    Batman (eerie gothic pseudo-German expressionism film, and Joker was a hoot)
    Batman Begins (nothing specific really, just a solid film)
    Wonder Woman (a movie with some flaws upon rewatch, but honestly hella fun and a perfect introduction for Wonder Woman)
    Bird of Prey (I know it gets a LOT of hate for Cass Cain in name only and not having Babs, but as a Harley Quinn team up movie it's a hell of a lot of fun!)
    Superman Returns (I add this entry solely for my enjoyment of the plane rescue scene, which is one of the best Superman scenes of all times)

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    - Superman II (sadly, someone needs to like mix the Lester cut with the Donner cut to get the best version of this film)
    If you had the editing skills, which parts of the Lester cut and which parts of the Donner cut would you put together for the best cut?

DC Theatrical Film Releases from Best to Worst based on my enjoyment of the films.

Superman 1978.
    Batman Mask of the Phantasm.
    Batman Begins.
    The Suicide Squad (2021).
    Batman (1989).
    Dark Knight.
    V for Vendetta.
    Superman II (While I prefer elements of the Donner Cut like Jor-El I have to give it to the original Theatrical Cut).
    Losers.
    Red.
    Shazam!.
    The Batman (2022).
    Batman Returns.
    Aquaman.
    Joker.
    Superman Returns.
    Wonder Woman.
    Red 2.
    Dark Knight Rises.
    Batman Return of the Cape Crusaders.
    Watchmen.
    Constantine.
    Batman 66.
    Lego Batman.
    Jonah Hex.
    Whedon Justice League (I like the Bruce and Diana Scenes and I like the Aquaman on the Lasso bit. Also, it's not 4 hours long.).
    Black Adam.
    Green Lantern.
    Superman III
    WW84.
    Batman Forever.
    Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey.
    Suicide Squad (2016),
    Swamp Thing 82 (I know the sequel Return of Swamp Thing was Direct to Video, but I think this got a release of some kind),
    Superman IV The Quest for Peace.
    Batman Vs Superman (Ultimate Cut).
    Man of Steel.
    Supergirl.
    Batman and Robin.
    Zack Snyder's Justice League (Yes, I would rather watch Batman and Robin over this).
    Steel.
    Catwoman.

Edit: Dear God, I forgot Batman Returns and technically Batman Return of the Cape Crusaders did get a Fathom release.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 01-01-2023 at 03:38 AM.

Retired

There are some movies I haven't seen. I didn't count animated movies, serials or made for T.V. movies. I gave each a percentage to help me figure out the order they should go in. Starting from least favourite and working down to most favourite:

SUPERMAN III (1983); directed by Richard Lester; 50%
    SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN (1951); directed by Lee Sholem; 55%
    SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE (1987); directed by Sidney J. Furie; 60%
    BATMAN (1966); directed by Leslie H. Martinson; 62%
    SWAMP THING (1982); directed by Wes Craven; 67%
    MAN OF STEEL (2013); directed by Zack Snyder; 72%
    JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017); directed by Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon; 73%
    THE BATMAN (2022); directed by Matt Reeves; 75%
    BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE (2016); directed by Zack Snyder; 76%
    SUICIDE SQUAD (2016); directed by David Ayer; 77%
    BLACK ADAM (2022); directed by Jaume Collett-Serra; 78%
    GREEN LANTERN (2011); directed by Martin Campbell; 79%
    WONDER WOMAN 1984 (2020); directed by Patty Jenkins; 80%
    SUPERMAN RETURNS (2006); directed by Bryan Singer; 81%
    SUPERMAN II (1980); directed by Richard Lester and Richard Donner; 82%
    ROAD TO PERDITION (2002); directed by Sam Mendes; 83%
    SHAZAM! (2019); directed by David F. Sandberg; 84%
    THE RETURN OF SWAMP THING (1989); directed by Jim Wynorski; 85%
    THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012); directed by Christopher Nolan; 85.5%
    AQUAMAN (2018); directed by James Wan; 86%
    A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE (2005); directed by David Cronenberg; 86.5%
    JOKER (2019); directed by Todd Phillips; 87%
    BIRDS OF PREY (AND THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN) (2020); directed by Cathy Yan; 88%
    THE SUICIDE SQUAD (2021); directed by James Gunn; 88.5%
    ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE (2021); directed by Zack Snyder; 89%
    BATMAN RETURNS (1992); directed by Tim Burton; 90%
    BATMAN (1989); directed by Tim Burton; 95%
    BATMAN BEGINS (2005); directed by Christopher Nolan; 96%
    THE DARK KNIGHT (2008); directed by Christopher Nolan; 96.5%
    WONDER WOMAN (2017); directed by Patty Jenkins; 97%
    SUPERMAN (1978); directed by Richard Donner; 100%

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    DC Theatrical Film Releases from Best to Worst based on my enjoyment of the films.
    [snip]
    And... you totally remind me of those non-superhero DC movies that I LOVE, like The Losers and Red.

It's a crime that The Losers didn't get all the sequels. What a super-fun movie!

I'm not retired yet, so I didn't love Red as much as my mom, but it was still pretty great.

As much as I liked the first two acts of Wonder Woman, the Constantine movie, Gunn's Suicide Squad, or the original Superman movie from way back when, I'd rate Losers above all of them, 'cause it was just fun and action-packed and chock-full of good actors. (I was disappointed that Idris wouldn't be in a sequel, but he's already in another DC role, so yay!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And... you totally remind me of those non-superhero DC movies that I LOVE, like The Losers and Red.

It's a crime that The Losers didn't get all the sequels. What a super-fun movie!

I'm not retired yet, so I didn't love Red as much as my mom, but it was still pretty great.

As much as I liked the first two acts of Wonder Woman, the Constantine movie, Gunn's Suicide Squad, or the original Superman movie from way back when, I'd rate Losers above all of them, 'cause it was just fun and action-packed and chock-full of good actors. (I was disappointed that Idris wouldn't be in a sequel, but he's already in another DC role, so yay!)
    Speaking of non Superhero as much as I liked the Arrowverse and Smallville Human Target gets lost in the discussion it seems and I loved that show.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Speaking of non Superhero as much as I liked the Arrowverse and Smallville Human Target gets lost in the discussion it seems and I loved that show.
    Oh yes, I forgot that show completely. The lead dude looked even more like I imagine Captain America to look than Chris Evans ever did! (And his two partners were fun also!)

Retired

There were two series of THE HUMAN TARGET. The first (1992) starred Rick Springfield who was Dr. Noah Drake on GENERAL HOSPITAL. The second (2010) starred Mark Valley who was Jack Deveraux on DAYS OF OUR LIVES (one of several actors to play that role--Matthew Ashford being the definitive Jack Deveraux).

Neither Springfield nor Valley really looked like Infantino and Giordano's Christopher Chance. To me he looked like George Peppard in BANACEK (1972) which was on the air around the same time that Christopher Chance first appeared in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    If you had the editing skills, which parts of the Lester cut and which parts of the Donner cut would you put together for the best cut?
    I don't know exactly right off the top of my head, but any big fan who has seen the so-called Donner Cut and understands how it was put together knows that it's not really much of a true Donner cut at all. As I see it, it has no added legitimacy. It comes off as an unfinished film and isn't polished. It's interesting cobbled-together mess of something that might have been (and something that can never be). Had Donner been left alone to direct II, it would have been great, the best, but that isn't how it happened and that film simply can't be restored.

Keeping Brando in a hypothetical fusion cut would be the way to go, but many of Lester's scenes (already left in Donner Cut) would have to be left in, and the Donner's cut retread of Superman TM's "flies around the world" ending probably has to go, meaning you'd have to add in more Lester material. A lot of the comedic Lester stuff can of course continue to be dialed down as the Donner Cut did. So ultimately Lester scenes would be used to craft a more cohesive unrepetitive film. It'd be more of Lester's theatrical cut but simply diluted some via some of Donner's scenes/ideas.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-04-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Retired

I think the only way to get a good Donner/Lester cut--short of Disney doing a photo-realistic animation--would be to do it as a comic book. Gary Frank would have to be the artist and probably Geoff Johns the writer--so long as he could stop himself from introducing retcons out of left field--since Johns interned with Donner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think the only way to get a good Donner/Lester cut--short of Disney doing a photo-realistic animation--would be to do it as a comic book. Gary Frank would have to be the artist and probably Geoff Johns the writer--so long as he could stop himself from introducing retcons out of left field--since Johns interned with Donner.
    If you'd do that, then I don't know why anything Lester would be in such a comic, because you could do 1000% Donner (ideally Lester would not have been involved in Superman II).

No, I'm only really interested in the films of Superman II and only really fan edits could now resolve Lester vs Donner, integrating them. And I'm sure some fan edits are probably already out there, doing some of these ideas. Studios won't join in on all this because any new version couldn't be marketed as anything really other just a better version of Superman II, a film now which can only work best by not being true to either Lester or Donner, accepting more honestly that we're stuck with both and all you can do is make the best films of out of their footage.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-05-2023 at 12:06 PM.

Retired

I'm interested in comic book adaptations of both SUPERMAN (1978) and SUPERMAN II--since we never got them back in the day. I'm assuming the complications with Puzo that prevented those adaptations from happening are now in the past, so it would be possible. Heck, they could combine those with the adaptations that were done for III and IV and have a luxury product to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm interested in comic book adaptations of both SUPERMAN (1978) and SUPERMAN II--since we never got them back in the day. I'm assuming the complications with Puzo that prevented those adaptations from happening are now in the past, so it would be possible. Heck, they could combine those with the adaptations that were done for III and IV and have a luxury product to sell.
    Dont think spinning the world the opposite way to go back in time would fly today, like it did then.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Dont think spinning the world the opposite way to go back in time would fly today, like it did then.
    They could work in that world, that universe (Donnerverse).

Such adaptations might be interesting if you get a Gary Frank to do them, but also DC would have to see the value & market for such adaptations. Could they be worthwhile enough? Superman 1978 really doesn't much need a much-belated comic adaptation, you can go watch the film. Superman II though could more use one, perhaps, due to messy production and various film versions (Superman 1978 has some different versions too of course).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-05-2023 at 01:34 PM.