Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

In alphabetical order:

Breaking Bad
    Daredevil (the only Netflix Marvel show I'm watching, I lost interest in Luke Cage after a few episodes, and never bothered with Jessica Jones or Iron Fist)
    Dexter
    House of Cards
    Little Witch Academia (anime)
    NCIS
    Riverdale
    Stranger Things
    The Great British Baking Show
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yep, he was a main character, in the first season at least. His character is kind of like a young, buff Gandalf.

The show is off MTV now... it's moved to Spike.
    Maybe ill give it a go then. Ive really never seen Manu in anything i didnt enjoy to some degree. He has this death race 20?? Movie that it stupid intentionaly. And i actually really liked him in it playing a parody of charatcers he usally plays.

BANNED

Arrow

I thought season 1 of The Shannara Chronicles was pretty good. A lot better than I was expecting.

The only thing that bothered me was how much 21st century junk was just sitting around on the surface and just below it. This story is supposed to be thousands of years in the future.

It looks like for season 2 they're going to freestyle more away from the original books, so... we'll see.
    Yeah, that bit was kind of weird. At first I didn't really pay it any mind, because the show never said how far after the apocalypse it takes place; but then I think somewhere in the middle they say it's been like 3000 years since the fall of man, which made it pretty goofy. Still, I kind of forgave it when the episode about then falling into a dungeon came around, and the dungeon was a high school. I thought that was pretty great given what the show is. Still, it is silly what is around give the time frame.

Also seems a bit boring that the future, their past, that the big world ending war took place in doesn't seem all that different from modern day Earth...or maybe even late '90s early 2000s Earth. It also doesn't really have fun with the setting. It doesn't play around with future language like A Clockwork Orange, Crossed +100, Mad Max Fury Road, or Cloud Atlas; and maybe that's something you wouldn't really expect give it's an MTV shows, but then there's fun to be had with morphing the way modern teens speak (which is the shows target audience) into some mutated form of their modern language...or like nerd subculture ****, because if mutated humans started get called **** like Trolls, Dwarves, and fuckin' Gnomes you know some nerd lingo found cultural sway. Doesn't do anything at all with the internet, and being able to tap into it with WiFi; I mean, I get that the books are from the '70s and '80s so maybe that wasn't on the author's mind, and so maybe the show runners weren't thinking about that either...but they don't even do stuff with radio waves. It doesn't really lean into the whole Mad Maxxiness of the whole thing; it does a tiny bit with the leather costuming, but it really seems like theirs more fun to be had with that.

Found it weird nobody really had guns either. I just find it kind of hard to believe humans would have them, even after an apocalypse, that far after an apocalypse. I mean, even if they don't really have guns, like they don't make them themselves, I find it weird they don't have gunpowder.

But still, overall, I like it. They're more fun to be had given the genres in play and the things it's toying with, but it's still a fun enjoyable show. I think I got more of a kick out of this take on Star Wars than The Force Awakens take on Star Wars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Maybe ill give it a go then. Ive really never seen Manu in anything i didnt enjoy to some degree. He has this death race 20?? Movie that it stupid intentionaly. And i actually really liked him in it playing a parody of charatcers he usally plays.
    2050. Be meaning to watch that since it looks like they're going back to the original one. Seems weird he's playing Frankenstein though. Kind of surprised they didn't just use the original look of the character in the new movie. Because that's like one of the coolest movie costumes ever. Completely redesigning it is like totally changing Vader's look.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    Yeah, that bit was kind of weird. At first I didn't really pay it any mind, because the show never said how far after the apocalypse it takes place; but then I think somewhere in the middle they say it's been like 3000 years since the fall of man, which made it pretty goofy. Still, I kind of forgave it when the episode about then falling into a dungeon came around, and the dungeon was a high school. I thought that was pretty great given what the show is. Still, it is silly what is around give the time frame.
    In the books the Apocalypse didn't even take place until 2092, by which time there were crazy killer AI's and stuff waiting to be let loose millennia later. But judging by the artifacts the apocalypse happened circa, Now.

BANNED

In the books the Apocalypse didn't even take place until 2092, by which time there were crazy killer AI's and stuff waiting to be let loose millennia later. But judging by the artifacts the apocalypse happened circa, Now.
    Yeah, when I saw the yearbook pictures I was wondering when the apocalypse was meant to have happen. What was left of the world kind of made me think it happened around now, but those pictures looked like they could have come from a yearbook like ten to twenty years ago.

Bingewatched Bojack Horseman season 4 last night. Just like the past 3 years after discovering the show I told myself I should space it out a bit and enjoy it longer. And just like the past 3 years that didn't happen and I engulfed it all in one night.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah - spent the last two days just Bojackin' it.... (do the Bojack!)

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Only seen the first three episodes of Bojack so far but it's doing great, nice you have an animated show which can be so funny and yet deal with genuinely dark topics like suicide, uncertainty of self and freaking lobotomy.

Also just seen the first Netflix advertisement for Star Trek Discovery (one of the rare instances living in the UK has its perks with Netflix). Looks amazing, though I am uncertain how much it will capture the audiences of the older shows. Will also watch Orville for my lighter Trek fix.

Season 7 of The Walking Dead finally released so we're catching up on that
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Just curious what people might recommend of the Netflix Original Movies? What Happened to Monday sounds interesting to me. Beasts of No Nation and In The Name Of The King also look decent.

Also despite being crazily busy with stuff on and off Netflix I'm wondering whether I can finally sneak in season one of Stranger Things before the new series arrives in time for Halloween...

BBC's Luther series 4. Its a good detective show to me but I'm not sure how they would remake for the states since it burns through its plots pretty fast. But since Luther is a "cowboy cop" that plays by his own rules I think there is a ton more stories you could tell with him.

He's the only dirty cop you'd root for after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Just curious what people might recommend of the Netflix Original Movies? What Happened to Monday sounds interesting to me. Beasts of No Nation and In The Name Of The King also look decent.

Also despite being crazily busy with stuff on and off Netflix I'm wondering whether I can finally sneak in season one of Stranger Things before the new series arrives in time for Halloween...
    Beasts of No nation will depress the **** out of you. Its a good movie as long as you dont mind being bummed

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    The Name Of The King also look decent.
    I started it just the other day. That's the one with Boseman right? It asks a lot more of the viewer than I was expecting, kind of plays like a video game plot in the beginning. I feel it's harder to get around in a foreign country and bust heads than what he went through initially but I need to finish it.

Between going through The Defenders again I'm nearly through McConaughey in Gold. It's not bad, I'm liking Stoll more now even when he isn't DelToro vampire hunting.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I started it just the other day. That's the one with Boseman right? It asks a lot more of the viewer than I was expecting, kind of plays like a video game plot in the beginning. I feel it's harder to get around in a foreign country and bust heads than what he went through initially but I need to finish it.

Between going through The Defenders again I'm nearly through McConaughey in Gold. It's not bad, I'm liking Stoll more now even when he isn't DelToro vampire hunting.
    Yea it ends up being a good movie. Theres a twist at the end that explains his skill set. Boseman is really talented and when he whoops all the mobsters ass with the two pieces of chain its pretty cool. Luke evans/Alfred Molina/Chadwick Boseman.. Whats not to like. I think boseman used the movie to polish his accent. Though its straight south african in this movie where as Black Panther its supposedly a hybrid. Im not gonna pretend to be able to tell the difference

Also its message from the king... Name of the king is a Stathem movie i think
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 09-10-2017 at 09:37 PM.