View Poll Results: Should Kryptonians Be Capable Of Space Travel Unaided?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

65 79.27%
  • Nay

17 20.73%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Just remembered this instance of Nuperman displaying FTL speeds from RHATO vol 1 #14.

Superman traveling from Pluto to Earth, in what can best be described as Silver Age level speeds.

I don't mind him being able to fly unaided but unless he has a way to teleport (ie mother box) he's not going to make it very far considering the nearest planet to Earth outside of our solar system is over 4 light years away.
    That's why I loved the Exile storyline as the writer's understood the vast distances needed for space travel and he had to use a teleporter, followed by the original eradicator to get back to Earth.
    Last edited by durabill; 08-25-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Yay of course. Surprised that it's even a question for being honest.

100000% Yay.

Give my Superman (and Supergirl and Zod and Ursa and Krypto) High FTL travel speed and ease to make it across the galaxy.

When i was a young boy my favorite cartoons were Superman TAS and Justice League.So i like Kryptonians with spacesuits.Superman had many cool suits in that show.
    But i am reading Superman rebirth.I really loved that fight with Eradicator on the moon.It was so cool.There are so many great scenes possible like this if Kryptonians can fly in space without aid.So i voted yes.

But i want to have my cake and eat it too.My solution:let Kryptonians fly without aid in space.But for very long distances like between solar systems or planets let them need a suit.A neat balance if you think about it.

I know what Mattel's opinion is on the matter...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I want my Superman flying through space unaided.

Where I draw the line is him crossing vast distances at speed. I dont want him flying to Oa for an afternoon drinking at Guy's bar, you know? That should require a ship or Boom Tube or something.

Unaided space travel at near-lightspeed is good enough for me. Makes him visiting Rann or Almerac more interesting when he can't fly there on his own in a matter of hours, but allows him free reign in his cosmic backyard.
    Yep, I'm in this camp.

Astonishing Member

Honestly what's the difference between Supes flying through space unaided and flying unaided in general? They're both impossible in reality.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Honestly what's the difference between Supes flying through space unaided and flying unaided in general? They're both impossible in reality.
    Lots of things are impossible in reality. However, things like stamina, needing to breath and surviving the conditions in space should come to play with impossible characters like Kryptonians.

Example: The Post Crisis, Byrne Superman. Who had his abilities significantly dialed down from the infinite power Silver and Bronze Age Superman.

Yah for me Superman has no such limits in my book, render unto Superman that which is Superman's I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Just remembered this instance of Nuperman displaying FTL speeds from RHATO vol 1 #14.

Superman traveling from Pluto to Earth, in what can best be described as Silver Age level speeds.

Please stop showing N52 images, its very depressing knowing people willing threaded a thick juicy steak for a basic fast food hamburger cause legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Please stop showing N52 images, its very depressing knowing people willing threaded a thick juicy steak for a basic fast food hamburger cause legacy.
    Never thought I'd see someone look back at a New 52 Red Hood comic and say "man those were the days." Especially with how much praise Rebirth Red Hood & Outlaws has gotten in comparison. Has New 52 been gone long enough for nostalgia goggles to kick in?

Incredible Member

I like Kryptonians to be superhumans in the original sense, i.e. superdensity (superstrength, superspeed, superleaps, superbreath, damage-resistance, holding your breath in a vacuum), superreflexes, superhearing and supersight (microscopic, telescopic, high-speed, wider spectrum including but not limited to x-rays) - none of which at god-like levels (e.g. invulnerability or speeds anywhere near the speed of light). And as this is their basic physiology, none of the above should be affected by any suns one way or another.

This leaves two for decades now iconic powers that can't be explained by simply being super-evolved and for which I'll take the solar battery explanation with immediate depowerings being possible only by Kryptonite or magic, not the dominant wavelength of any nearby stars, the effects of which should take days to manifest. Namely flight (borne of desired simplification of animation) and heat vision (borne of a bewildering pre-scientific misconception of how sight works). In an age where superbeings with unaided flight are a dime a dozen you can't take away the former from the superhero - the very same reason why I vastly prefer "chosen" Amazons to be able to fly. The latter (just as any form of "going nova"), however, I'd rather do without, but whatcha gonna do? At the very least using heat vision should seriously drain one's solar battery cells, so Kryptonians have a good reason not to quickly deal with all enemies from a safe distance instead of primal fisticuffs.

TL;DR Spaceflight, yes, but not interstellar - because of having to hold their breath and not having anywhere near the speed of light. And no talking in space FFS.
    Last edited by twincast; 09-02-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by durabill View Post
    I don't mind him being able to fly unaided but unless he has a way to teleport (ie mother box) he's not going to make it very far considering the nearest planet to Earth outside of our solar system is over 4 light years away.
    That's why I loved the Exile storyline as the writer's understood the vast distances needed for space travel and he had to use a teleporter, followed by the original eradicator to get back to Earth.
    Ditto. Don't have much else to add to this. I'm not interested in reading a story about a God who has no limitations, nor one who can mock the vastness of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by InsanePeasant66 View Post
    Never thought I'd see someone look back at a New 52 Red Hood comic and say "man those were the days." Especially with how much praise Rebirth Red Hood & Outlaws has gotten in comparison. Has New 52 been gone long enough for nostalgia goggles to kick in?
    Nope, Lokimaru is just crazy, who wants Superman to have powers that rivals the Judeo-Christian God.