Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Underrated comics from Marvel Comics

Conan the Adventurer
    Sleepwalker
    Nightstalkers
    Blade - the 1990s series that continues right after the last issue of Nightstalkers
    1990s Cable
    original X Factor up to the 1990s
    X Men Unlimited
    Marvel Comics Presents. While it introduced everyone to the Weapon X story, there were lots of other good stuff such as Cable teaming up with Ghost Rider etc
    New Warriors
    Namor
    Darkhawk

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

One that is not well know at all is the Hercules: Prince of Power trilogy by Bob Layton from the 80's. Two mini series and graphic novel to cap it all off. It was just pure fun with Herc in the future running around in space with a Skrull named Skypy.

I enthusiastically second the Bob Layton Hercules stories.

And Bruce Jones and Brent Anderson's Ka-Zar the Savage. An incredible updating of the Ka-Zar character, fitting him into the Marvel Universe.
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 06-17-2017 at 12:08 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    One that is not well know at all is the Hercules: Prince of Power trilogy by Bob Layton from the 80's. Two mini series and graphic novel to cap it all off. It was just pure fun with Herc in the future running around in space with a Skrull named Skypy.
    Love all of those...there was also a short run in Marvel Comics Presents that took place after the graphic novel:

and a recent third Layton Herc mini - Twilight of a God....

A book that I really enjoyed at the time, and thought had huge potential with the backstory and the sheer number of characters and their links to various aspects of the MU was Blackwulf.

2022247-blackwulf1a.jpg

They haven't been seen since the series ended, unless you count a reference during Civil War, but it was not an actual appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by soxtalon View Post
    Love all of those...there was also a short run in Marvel Comics Presents that took place after the graphic novel:

and a recent third Layton Herc mini - Twilight of a God....

I forgot about the Twilight of a God mini series. I never knew about the Marvel Comics Presents stuff. Marvel should really put the whole thing into one big trade.

Jason Aaron's Amazing X-Men
    Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers
    Mark Waid's All-New, All-Different Avengers
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

There was a to of flak directed at Remender's Frankencastle, but "shockingly" for comics it was not a permanent change and I loved the run.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Damage Control

The Animax was a very short-lived miniseries written by Walt Simonson, about a post-apocalyptic future where in order to save animals, they fused them with cars to create hybrid animal-vehicle creatures that live off gasoline. There were a bunch of traditional human good guys, and the bad guys were road mutants led by essentially Skeletor's even skinnier and nerdier cousin.

The whole concept was initially pitched by Mel Brikrant, who had envisioned a whole toyline for the AniMax. You can see all the promotional materials and finished prototypes cataloged here: Mel Birnkrankt's AniMax

I'm guessing they were really hoping AniMax would take-off like Centurions or something from the era.

The comics themselves received a lot more gravitas then the subject material would normally warrant because Simonson was on the case I guess. I mean, it gets a little heavy when the lion-car becomes depressed after his original driver dies and we have a long wordless page of him thinking about off-roading on a highway to commit suicide.

You think I'm joking, but I am so not.

Though the villains were beyond jokey, so no real threat ever.

The toy and packaging looked 80s awesome:

I really would have like this cheesy 80s mix of animals, Mad Max, and something like the 'Beastformers', what a pity the toyline didn't take off :/
    Last edited by Byakko; 06-18-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Conan the Adventurer
    Sleepwalker
    Nightstalkers
    Blade - the 1990s series that continues right after the last issue of Nightstalkers
    1990s Cable
    original X Factor up to the 1990s
    X Men Unlimited
    Marvel Comics Presents. While it introduced everyone to the Weapon X story, there were lots of other good stuff such as Cable teaming up with Ghost Rider etc
    New Warriors
    Namor
    Darkhawk
    Couldn't agree more about the Blade series in the 90s, majorly underrated, too bad it got cancelled because I think it's the best a Blade series has been

I also want to put in a vote for Wonder Man's solo, it was a heck of a lot of fun and I'd love to see another solo with Simon and a similar premise
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Captain Marvel by Peter David & ChrisCross!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Kelly sues captain marvel run I think her run gets more hate honestly despite how well known her time on the series is but alas it gets a lot of hate I feel in many ways the hate doesn't feel warranted in general I feel a lot of the hate Carol Danvers gets as a character and as captain marvel never really adds up it doesn't make sense the hate period all in all it's sad.

The following all new all different marvel captain marvel series was also really good I think more so during the civil war ii tie in arc.

I think I view and define comics any comic really as being underrated as that even if the comic in question is well known but it's hated and widely disliked by various people and doesn't get the love I feel it deserves then to me it is underrated.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 06-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Captain Marvel by Peter David & ChrisCross!
    Nothing broke my heart more than when they went from that series to this one. It was like Peter David said "OK you didn't like a fun book so here is one that is just the total opposite and no fun at all". I never went from loving a book to hating it so fast in my life.

Jason Aaron's and Sam Humphreys WeirdWorld run for sure.

Dennis hopeless Spider-Woman

Any of the Inhuman books
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast