Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In addition...

Risso handled the art for the Batman arc "Broken City" right in the middle of that run, and jumped right back into 100 Bullets.
    That was excellent. He also had a great take on Batman in Wednesday Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by poorzero View Post
    hey, that someone was me, my friend XD

i suppose my argument is that i think alan moore is even better than his greatest admirers do. also, i find lately his reputation has been dragged thru the mud in a lot of online circles, due to his constant use of rape as a plot device. tho such things certainly do require a critical re-examination, i honestly believe it to be obvious that moore is an unparalleled creator, especially in terms of american superhero comics. nobody else brings it like he does, at least, in my opinion.

i'm with you on john wagner. were there any justice in this world, that guy'd be swimmin' in money. same with paul grist.
    Alan Moore generally has the reputation of being the best comic book writer.

There is going to be some disagreement on this, and an anti-Alan Moore will stand out more than someone arguing about his strengths.

An advantage Moore has is that his political views align with those of the people writing about comics. The Mary Sue or Vox aren't going to criticize him for being too far-left.

There can be an argument that Frank Miller has become underrated because his views have put off people who write about comics, even though it has nothing to do with the quality of the work that earned him his reputation. There is also a philosophical difference in assessing quality, depending on whether you look at averages or whether you look at the best work. The former approach might penalize Frank Miller for not getting hit by a truck in 2000, which is one reason I personally prefer to consider the reputation of an individual based on their best work.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Haha. Morrison overrated. Ha *breath* ha

Yost & Gates hahahhaahahahahahahahha *breath* ha

Morrison has a unique voice not everyone likes. Ok. But he's always an interesting read.
    Bendis is great on crime/street level books.
    The rest of your names still need to prove their relevance.
    If Grant Morrison is the tenth best comic book writer ever, he is probably overrated, given all the talk about how he ranks even higher.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fred Van Lente is a guy I think is very underrated. He's probably been the best and most consistent Valiant writer since the 2012 relaunch and his Dark Horse work has been really good. No one talks about this guy and it is a shame.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That was excellent. He also had a great take on Batman in Wednesday Comics.

There is going to be some disagreement on this, and an anti-Alan Moore will stand out more than someone arguing about his strengths.

An advantage Moore has is that his political views align with those of the people writing about comics. The Mary Sue or Vox aren't going to criticize him for being too far-left.

There can be an argument that Frank Miller has become underrated because his views have put off people who write about comics, even though it has nothing to do with the quality of the work that earned him his reputation. There is also a philosophical difference in assessing quality, depending on whether you look at averages or whether you look at the best work. The former approach might penalize Frank Miller for not getting hit by a truck in 2000, which is one reason I personally prefer to consider the reputation of an individual based on their best work.

If Grant Morrison is the tenth best comic book writer ever, he is probably overrated, given all the talk about how he ranks even higher.
    again, i think my point is simply being missed, unpopular as it may be! (which i of course understand and have no problem with). alan moore is considered the greatest writer to ever work in the traditional superhero comics industry, no question. i only, personally, argue that he is an even greater talent than many recognize. because it is often seen, specifically by the popular media, that he allowed superheroes to 'grow up' by exploring political & philosophical ideas.

i'm just saying, i think his talents go far beyond this. i also think his prose work is spectacular and also under rated due to its complex use of language.

i don't think any of this has to make sense XD i'm just trying to make my perspective clearer.

i quite like grant morrison, but its undeniable to me that he is overrated. he's a shameless cribber of moore's works - he simply has the ability to take complicated ideas and more readily transform them into entertaining spectacle. i think moore's stuffiness is sort of what keeps a lot of more 'general' superhero readers away from him, imo.
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN / PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN / BEN REILLY: SCARLET SPIDER / RENEW YOUR VOWS / SPIDER-MAN / SPIDER-GWEN / VENOM / GWENPOOL, THE UNBELIEVABLE / X-MEN GOLD / X-MEN BLUE / ASTONISHING X-MEN / GENERATION X / WEAPON X / JEAN GREY / ICEMAN / ALL-NEW WOLVERINE / OLD MAN LOGAN / CABLE / ARCHIE / BETTY & VERONICA / JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS / JUGHEAD / RIVERDALE / SABRINA

🖤🖤 read my MARVEL fan fiction 🖤🖤 read my weekly MARVEL reviews 🖤🖤

Extraordinary Member

Hickman isn't entirely overrated, but he only appeals to a certain audience IMO.

A big thing with Moore is his hatred of the modern industry and the two big companies, I think people are tired of him just calling everything crap well admitting that he does read modern comics. I think online his rep would be different if he was a bit more positive or just did not comment on modern books. I get why he is angry at DC he did a lot of good work that he has no ownership of, but that sadly is how the industry was setup at the time. It seems like the majority of the people or companies he has worked with end badly. Can only burn so many bridges before people get tired of it, not even being one of the best all time has been able to protect him from that.

Love Morrison, but he is def overrated on the internet, not sure I would say he cribbes a lot of Moore stuff, but no doubt Moore influenced him in his early days when Moore was working Warrior or 2000 AD. I also think him being more positive about comics gives him a more positive online rep really most of his negative stuff is when slamming Moore over a beef from 30 years ago about wanting to do a Mircle Man story and Moore shooting him.

Incredible Member

·Underrated·

John Bolton

The Black Dragon #4

Writer - Chris Claremont
    Letters - Tom Orzechowski
    Everything else - John Bolton

Tom Sutton

Mars #2 (back-up story)

At the bottom of this page are some covers by Tom Sutton I posted a while ago.

Mokona

Clover omnibus

Story - Nanase Ohkawa
    Assists - Satsuki Igarashi & Tsubaki Nekoi
    Last edited by Sugar Spun Sorceress; 06-29-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Underrated Artist: Ron Frenz

Overrated Artist: Jim Lee

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I wouldn't consider Alan Moore's political stance's being an advantage, seeing that the majority of comic creators, (if they are open about their political alignment,) are liberal, and if Alan Moore being a liberal was an advantage, then 90% of comic creators would get good reviews. Sure, Alan Moore not being as right wing as Frank Miller, is technically an advantage, but most comic creators I can think of tend to not share the beliefs of Miller. I think if Alan Moore had virtually no political beliefs in his works, he would still get the same positive reviews from sites like The Mary Sue or Vox.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-29-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Spun Sorceress View Post
    [CENTER]·Underrated·

John Bolton

[SIZE=1]The Black Dragon #4

Writer - Chris Claremont
    Letters - Tom Orzechowski
    Everything else - John Bolton
    John Bolton is really underappreciated, and the more that I think about it, I feel the majority of painted comic book artists (Besides a minority of people like Alex Ross or Dave Mckean.), are underappreciated as well. The painted comic books craze was really popular in the eighties and nineties, but the trend rapidly declined when the dawn of the new millennium hit, and it's a really shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    John Bolton is really underappreciated, and the more that I think about it, I feel the majority of painted comic book artists (Besides a minority of people like Alex Ross or Dave Mckean.), are underappreciated as well. The painted comic books craze was really popular in the eighties and nineties, but the trend rapidly declined when the dawn of the new millennium hit, and it's a really shame.
    Love painted art style, especially Simon Bisley.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Indeed.
    You either didn’t read my entire post or English comprehension is not your forte. Here it is again for you:

Next time you might want to fully read the post you are replying to.

Right back at you. .

Oh so you're one of the sub literate 15 year olds I was talking about!

As far as I can see the only one who needs to prove their ‘relevancy’ is you given the fact that you suffer from the same lack of reading comprehension that the other poster did. Here’s the original question that the poster posed:

You do you understand what the word opinion means don’t you? Or are you just a message board nazi who thinks they speak for everyone. But I guess that's not surprising given the tenore of your posts.

I honestly thought that CBR had a better no trolls policy. Time to make adjustments to my profile settings.
    I did not attack you personally or insult your intelligence but your opinion. Cause, yeah, discussion of opinions here. Yours is very controversial. My remark was very fanboy-ish but not personal and I thought at that point in time it'd be a good fit. If I want fun I read comics good and bad, for enjoying the craft of writing I read Jonathan Franzen or Hermann Hesse. So this illiterate 15 year old is signing off now. Enjoy your X-23 and have a nice day at the corner office. I've never been called a troll or nazi before, yay me, I'll mark this day in my calendar.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 06-29-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Love painted art style, especially Simon Bisley.
    It depends on the artist. Simon Bisley, Alex Ross, Glenn Fabry, Dave McKean, Bill Seinkeiwicz - yeah, great.

On the other hand Steve Rude and Matt Wagner are artists who I think are far better when they use pencil and ink than when they paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    Overrated Artist: Jim Lee
    Hugely overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I wouldn't consider Alan Moore's political stance's being an advantage, seeing that the majority of comic creators, (if they are open about their political alignment,) are liberal, and if Alan Moore being a liberal was an advantage, then 90% of comic creators would get good reviews. Sure, Alan Moore not being as right wing as Frank Miller, is technically an advantage, but most comic creators I can think of tend to not share the beliefs of Miller. I think if Alan Moore had virtually no political beliefs in his works, he would still get the same positive reviews from sites like The Mary Sue or Vox.
    I'm not saying Moore gets good reviews because of his liberal stances. It's more that I think he would get more negative reviews if he were conservative. Some stories about his liberal views (especially the ones about how he is pleased by left-wing activists in V For Vendetta masks) also offset the bad publicity he sometimes gets for attacking comic books he doesn't read.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...a-mask-protest

The end result of all of this is that he gets the credit he deserves.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'm not saying Moore gets good reviews because of his liberal stances. It's more that I think he would get more negative reviews if he were conservative. Some stories about his liberal views (especially the ones about how he is pleased by left-wing activists in V For Vendetta masks) also offset the bad publicity he sometimes gets for attacking comic books he doesn't read.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...a-mask-protest

The end result of all of this is that he gets the credit he deserves.
    interesting perspective, mets !!

also, i do think its worth nothing that moore is hardly a liberal, & more of a very passionate marxist anarcho-communist who literally uses his WATCHMEN monies to pay for a group of anarchists to run his own marijuana compound for him XD his radical politics could indeed work against him in this, even among more leftist critics circles. i'm with mets, tho. i do not think that they play a role, unlike frank miller where his relatively conservative right-wing beliefs seem to have changed people's entrie perceptions of his incredible body of work. but that's divisive two-party politics for you !

and yes, it is a shame moore is so bitter about the industry and chooses to take this out on creators & their works and not the companies who screwed him over. but c'est la vie. the man his happy to write his prose.
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN / PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN / BEN REILLY: SCARLET SPIDER / RENEW YOUR VOWS / SPIDER-MAN / SPIDER-GWEN / VENOM / GWENPOOL, THE UNBELIEVABLE / X-MEN GOLD / X-MEN BLUE / ASTONISHING X-MEN / GENERATION X / WEAPON X / JEAN GREY / ICEMAN / ALL-NEW WOLVERINE / OLD MAN LOGAN / CABLE / ARCHIE / BETTY & VERONICA / JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS / JUGHEAD / RIVERDALE / SABRINA

🖤🖤 read my MARVEL fan fiction 🖤🖤 read my weekly MARVEL reviews 🖤🖤