Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default List your most underrated/overrated comic book writer and artist

Who are the most underrated and overrated comic book writers and artists in your opinion.

Personally, the most underrated comic book writer in my opinion is probably Mark Russell, his run on Prez was truly something, and a comic book artist, whom I consider the most criminally underappreciated is Peter Snejbjerg.

On the other hand, the most overvalued writer in the comics medium, in my opinion, is Brian K Vaughan, who while I consider him to be a very solid writer and I would probably have more of an affinity for Vaughan if he wasn't so lauded as a writer, but since I feel that many hail him as the the next best thing since sliced bread, I do not enjoy his works as much as I would have otherwise. I feel the most overhyped artist in comics is Jim Lee, who's artwork I think is absolutely atrocious.

A specific talent being underrated means two things: 1. It could mean someone whom you think is given the proper attention by the masses. 2. Someone is very well known, but whom's work is not as well received as you would like.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 07-02-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    most underrated writers & artists:
    Kaworu Watashiya
    Yu Aida
    Yumi Unita
    Ueda Rinko
    Okada Kou
    Asami Sekiya
    Cuvie
    Sumiya
    Naoshi Onizuka
    Noise
    Reo Aoyama
    Question: The majority of these writers and artists work in the Manga industry, since the Manga industry is much more successful than the western comic book industry, are these creators, far more popular than some of the popular comic book creators in the west, and are just underrated in Manga terms?

Noah Van Sciver is pretty underrated by the masses.
    BB

Overrated...
    Roy Thomas- I just don't think his work is that good. Part of it may be the era in which he wrote. He wasn't as clever as Stan Lee, but his work comes across as quite dated.
    Jim Lee- He's a good artist, who didn't elevate mediocre material to the extent his fans say.

Underrated...
    I'm going with two writer/ artists.
    Timothy Truman- Terrific work on Grimjack. Wrote the excellent Hawkworld, one of the great sci-fi comics.
    Judd Winick- Because Barry Ween is one of the great comic book characters, while Pedro & Me is an exceptional memoir.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Mark Bagley is probably my favorite comic book artist but I never hear him mentioned anywhere.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Mark Bagley is probably my favorite comic book artist but I never hear him mentioned anywhere.
    I agree with this almost 100%

Well...he's not my favorite but I do think he's criminally underrated.
    Last edited by ed2962; 06-18-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Smith/Thomas Conan is not overrated.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-18-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

John Rozum is very underrated.
    He is like Grant Morrison, just with better execution.

While one person's "Overrated" is another person's "Great Run", I do think that China Mieville's limited work has sort of stayed off of the radar.

Overrated:
    Chris Claremont
    Marv Wolfman
    Doug Moench
    John Ostrander
    Christopher Priest (aka James Owsley)
    Jim Lee
    Dan Jurgens
    Roger Stern
    Matt Fraction
    Paul Dini
    Scott Snyder (I haven't read much of his, but what I have read was underwhelming)
    Alan Davis (as a writer. His art is stellar)
    Mike Mignola (as a writer. His art is stellar)

Underrated:
    Mark Millar (obviously he's highly successful, but he seems to get a lot of undeserved hate)
    Marcos Martin
    Jason Aaron
    David Hine
    Jon Arcudi
    Tim Sale
    Glynn Dillon (as an artist)

I'm sure I've got loads more, but I'm drawing a blank.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Bill Mantlo, especially his Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man work from the 80s. I think it's only overlooked because the entire era was an embarrassment of riches for Spider-Man. I'm surprised Ock/Owl Gang War hasn't been collected yet, at least not in color.

Underrated writer goes to Cary Bates, his work on serious stories is pretty good, he really evolved his craft as someone who wrote for the Silver Age and moved on to the Bronze Age and forward.

Underrated artist I'd easily go with Jim Mooney, he doesn't get enough recognition.

Overrated writer: Grant Morrison. Good, but his work on Batman R.I.P and Batman 700 depressingly sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Overrated:
    Dan Jurgens
    Roger Stern
    Really? These are easily two of the better writers in the industries, most of their work is very easy to read and enjoy.

Paul Dini did a great job for the DCAU, I didn't see much to praise of his work out of that.

Chris Claremont's work on mutants is overrated, most particularly when it comes to alien involvement.

Marv Wolfman is fine most of the time, though the story of Raven's family is unbearable for me to read, Raven is the only character I like of her family.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

I think Dan Jurgens has exactly the "reliable work horse who won't embarrass you but also rarely excite you" rating he deserves. I am not sure where and when he was overly praised.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Overrated:
    Gary Frank - the way he draws smiles creeps me out sometimes
    Scott McDaniel

Underrated:
    John Francis Moore - I really liked Batman Family 1-8
    Jon Arcudi
    James Patrick - who wrote Batman Confidential #49, one of the best Batman one shots I've read in a long time
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I'd say that currently at Marvel, Al Ewing is underrated and Charles Soule is overrated.