Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    ? I'm sorry that's a pretty serious accusation can you please elaborate? I never said I speak for anyone or told them their opinion was wrong. You need for legitimacy with your claim.
    Read the entire post. I just referenced your original post, which was asking for posters opinions.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Yeah, I did read the entire post, and I have to say I feel there is nothing really wrong with what I said, it didn't seem like I forced my opinions unto others.
    Once again, could you give me an example of how I think I speak for anyone? Thanks.

And speaking about the tenor of my post, I'll try to be less mean spirited, but just because my posts are tinged with negativity about the comic book writers and artists whom I think are overrated, doesn't mean I don't respect other peoples opinions, it just means I am being enthusiastic when I criticize these creators.

I did look back at my previous posts, and I think the problem may lie in the fact that when I complained about a certain authors books or style, sometimes I didn't state clearly enough those critiques where my own feelings, but then again it would be a pain to have to always include the phrases, In my opinion, or I feel .

Also if you are criticizing me of this, I would consider that thought to be slightly hypocritical.

"Most of these writers book sell because they have their hands on marquee characters. Give them a book at Image or let them write a minor character and the book would be cancelled after 6 issues. The other writers it’s just fan-fiction stories only suitable for sub literate 15 year old boys."

While I agree with you in many regards, this is a very harsh statement, and at least, from this quote, is treated as fact, while I don't care myself, this can be seen as thinking you "Speak for everyone."

Eh, anyway, I don't really care, this comment section is already sort of looking like a destroyed liquor store after a bar fight so, I'm just gonna say I will take your critiques into consideration.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-27-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Deleted not hear to argue as stated by OP, but also no reason to be rude, sorry for the use of the word crazy.
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 06-27-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Nah. They pretty much guarantee I won't enjoy a story (unless that story is Reign of the Supermen).
    Different strokes is all I can think of right now.

I'm beginning to suspect that Bruce Timm was the more important one. Dini's comics have ranged from dull (Detective Comics) to insulting (Superman: Peace on Earth).
    I like his Heart of HUSH story, stealing Catwoman's heart is magnificently silly, silver age level of silly, and I adore it for that.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Invincible Member

Mike Baron: Wrote Nexus, which is essentially The Punisher meets Star Trek meets the Sandman.
    It's a shame Nexus is not widely remembered today as it deserves.
    I agree with this. Nexus is another title I have to get the whole run of one of these days.

Yeah, I did read the entire post, and I have to say I feel there is nothing really wrong with what I said, it didn't seem like I forced my opinions unto others.
    Once again, could you give me an example of how I think I speak for anyone? Thanks.
    Agreed. You said nothing wrong. You just gave your opinions and Mia chose to personally attack you.

And I really thought the internet had grown beyond the point where people take what you say as a statement of fact if you don't sat "in my opinion" all of the time. Everything anyone states on an internet message board is an opinion - including this.

Agreed. You said nothing wrong. You just gave your opinions and Mia chose to personally attack you.

And I really thought the internet had grown beyond the point where people take what you say as a statement of fact if you don't sat "in my opinion" all of the time. Everything anyone states on an internet message board is an opinion - including this.
    I agree did nothing wrong just making a point. It seems I need to pick up some Nexus sounds like a cool concept.

Underrated
    Peter Milligan
    Really solid writer. His comic Enigma is one of my favorite miniseries ever along with Watchmen. He also did a great fill in arc on Animal Man in between the end of Grant Morrison's run and the beginning of Tom Veitch's run. Even his work of lesser quality (Which is most of his superhero work) is at least a little above average. He wrote a solid run on Justice League Dark (I wish he stayed on that book longer) and a pretty good story line for the Batman: Confidential anthology.

Steve Dillon
    While I don't love his work, his artwork has never really repulsed me as it had with others.

John Totleben
    He's mostly known as an inker on Swamp Thing, but I feel that he is a better horror artist than the more well known Steve Bissette when he's an artist not just an inker.

Overrated
    Rick Veitch (At least his art)
    While I have yet to read enough of his writing to have a solid standing on Veitch's writing skills, (I've only read a fill in JLA issue written by him, which was pretty bad.) I can firmly say Rick Veitch is an underwhelming artist for me. I think he ruined the supposed magnum opus of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, American Gothic, and he took away all of the horror and scope of that story in my opinion, (To be fair though, I think the conclusion of American Gothic could have been five issues longer for such a grandiose story-line, not just a slightly extra sized issue 50.) Also while many claim that Chuck Austin's fill in art for Miracle Man Red King Syndrome, was an artistic failing, Veitch's Artwork on that arc was not that good either, I would think.

Milligan is a good choice he is talented. Have you read Bad Company?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Milligan is a good choice he is talented. Have you read Bad Company?
    No I haven't unfortunately, I haven't really gotten into 2000 AD yet, I've only read some of the 2000 AD material from the Milligan/Mcarthy hardcover Dark Horse put out, and a collection of all of the Mark Millar/Grant Morrison Judge Dredd stories, but I'm planning to get into Bad Company one day, and also Johnny Nemo.

Overrated

Andy and Adam Kubert
    I don't know why Adam and Andy Kubert are two of the most popular artists in the comic book industry, the way they draw faces are hideous, very much like Scott McDaniel, and their inking styles are the muddiest I've ever seen, as if they drew their work with the world's least sharp pencil.

G Willow Wilson
    I heard her reinvention of Mrs. Marvel is the best thing since sliced bread, it's not, it's okay, but it's very pedestrian Marvel, nothing really new we haven't seen before.

Marjorie Liu
    Speaking of another critically acclaimed comic I didn't like: Monstress. While it had some pretty pictures, the dialogue reminded a lot of the Star Wars Prequels: Dull, flat, coarse, and too much exposition, absolutely painful to read.

Underrated
    Bryan Talbot, you may know him as an artist on the Sandman, but Talbot is also a terrific writer as well. The Tale of One Bad Rat and Alice in Sunderland are truely masterworks of the comics medium. Bryan Talbot also wrote arguably the first British Graphic Novel, with The Adventures of Luther Arkwright.
    I saw a British Top 100 comics list with four by Talbot (The Adventures of Luther Arkwright, Alice in Sunderland, Grandville Noir, Dotter of Her Father's Eyes.) He has remarkable skills in multiple genres (science fiction, anthromorphic noir, literary history), although his topics are very British, so it's likely his work is more obscure to American audiences.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I saw a British Top 100 comics list with four by Talbot (The Adventures of Luther Arkwright, Alice in Sunderland, Grandville Noir, Dotter of Her Father's Eyes.) He has remarkable skills in multiple genres (science fiction, anthromorphic noir, literary history), although his topics are very British, so it's likely his work is more obscure to American audiences.
    His art style on every book he draws is different, yet utterly recognizable.

Underrated
    Peter Milligan
    Really solid writer. His comic Enigma is one of my favorite miniseries ever along with Watchmen. He also did a great fill in arc on Animal Man in between the end of Grant Morrison's run and the beginning of Tom Veitch's run. Even his work of lesser quality (Which is most of his superhero work) is at least a little above average. He wrote a solid run on Justice League Dark (I wish he stayed on that book longer) and a pretty good story line for the Batman: Confidential anthology.
    He's one of the most uneven writers out there, lol. He's done good work but plenty of hack/bad work.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    He's one of the most uneven writers out there, lol. He's done good work but plenty of hack/bad work.
    Yeah.

His work on Enigma, Animal Man, Bad Company, Detective Comics, Shade the Changing Man, Human Target and others is great.

But then he does Justice League Dark, Greek Street etc..

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Underrated:

Rick Leonardi and George Freeman, two artist who came up in the late70s-80s, whose work i liked a lot but never got a lot of buzz.
    😺

These are some of the Rick Leonardi pages and panels I have posted before:

The Uncanny X-Men vol. 1 #228

Script - Chris Claremont
    Plot - Tom DeFalco
    Inks - Terry Austin
    Colors - Bill Wray
    Letters - Tom Orzechowski

Daredevil vol. 1 #277

Daredevil vol. 1 #248

Writer - Ann Nocenti
    Inks - Al Williamson
    Colors - Petra Scotese
    Letters - Joe Rosen

I will post some more of his work in 'The Greatest Comic Pages / Panels' thread eventually; as he is a favorite of mine.
    Last edited by Sugar Spun Sorceress; 06-29-2017 at 02:14 PM.