Default Knight Terrors #1 spoilers/discussion

You know I was going to open this with a joke on the Freddy Krueger nursery rhyme but for the life of me it was hard to make it dc comics specific while keeping a creepy rhyme going. Regardless, the stage is set, the world is asleep, and tie ins are out. Now it’s just a matter of the main plot and learning about the new villain Insomnia.

Don’t worry I’m using spoiler boxes.

spoilers:

We learn a little bit about Insomnia, mainly his origin and would you believe he’s not related to Vertigo or Sandman or any other mythical story connected to Doctor Destiny and that he’s actually related to a freaking Lazarus Planet tie-in? No I’m not kidding, specifically Lazarus Planet: Dark Fate the Huntress story by Tim Seeley where Killer Moth tried to start a cult. That story ended with Lazarus rain hitting some mysterious person in a cell in Arkham Tower saying do not wake, and it turns out Insomnia was that guy. So in odd sense this is actually kind of Batman’s fault for the whole fighting Nezha, breaking the helmet of fate, and Lazarus volcano thing.

Yeah so Insomnia is just some guy who by pure accident gained incredible powers and now wants the mysterious nightmare stone to rule the world as a villain tends to do. Of course there is a problem with being the self appointed god of nightmares and that it’s hard to stay awake. He can’t stay in the waking world long without the stone and with a few stragglers like Red Tornado, Zatanna, and Deadman piloting Batman he has to send out some minions to look for the stone while he searches dreams. I’m sure we will see them in tie-ins.

But don’t worry Deadman is on the case after invading Insomnia’s mind, and there is only one person who can help now; Sandman….no not Morpheus or Sandy Hawkins. It’s actually long deceased member of the JSA Wesley Dodds who apparently has a connection to the story because of an old case. But see Deadman isn’t going to heaven or talking to another ghost because he needs living allies so he kind of does something he probably shouldn’t

He takes a sample of Lazarus rain from Batman, because of course Batman did, and he uses it to basically bring back Wesley as a sentient undead vigilante. Why do I say undead? Because you can clearly see his eyes and skin and that ain’t normal.
    end of spoilers

I will say that I am enjoying this new event. I mean I’m pretty good with an event that not only incorporates past events into the story but focuses on lesser used characters. I mean sure it’s Batman’s body but it’s predominantly the Deadman show with a few guest appearances and that’s not a bad thing to have. Also for those complaining about constant multiverse stories this isn’t one of them, it’s fairly magic related.

While it’s a lot of explaining our new villain focus it moves fast and if the rest of the story works well then this should be pretty good.
    Last edited by sifighter; 07-11-2023 at 07:56 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.