Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Well, if this is truth, then I guess we will see these characters in the new Spider-Man's animated series this summer. I mean, if the series is going to be based in "Homecoming", it would be logic.

Venom has already being confirmed thanks to promotional art, so I guess we will see Silver Sable and Black Cat too.

If Venom should meet with Spider-Man, then it should be an uneasy alliance rather than animosity.
    Shouldn't Venom symbiote look close to the homemade suit Tom wears instead of having the more traditional look though?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Just look at Feige's expression when she states this. This is yet more evidence of Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman's agenda with Spider-Man... milk Marvel for all its worth with the Holland trilogy then yank the rights back from Marvel with a nice setup already in place, all the whilst Amy's same increasingly tiring dream of a female Spidey lady movie with the same philosophy as Ghostbusters slots into place. I mean it's like she never got fired at all, is it?
    I don't know. His expression could be "God, this isn't what is happening, now I'm going to have to do damage control later" but him just letting that go leads me to think that this was probably supposed to be an announcement at Comic Con that Tom Holland's Peter Parker/Spider-Man was going to be in Venom and that the film would take place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a result. Of course, I could be wrong but that seems like a really odd time for an announcement on Pascal's part and it seems to be Feige's MO to keep these big deals underwraps until they're ready. Indeed, we're hearing that there are preliminary talks about Spider-Man 3 taking place even in spite of the fact that the deal only goes until the first sequel. Something tells me that Sony wanted to one-up the deal and get Marvel more involved with their villain-centric properties given the positive reactions to Spider-Man in the MCU and the negative reactions to a cinematic universe about Spider-Man characters that didn't include Spider-Man. Marvel probably agreed because, without the connection, it would seem too disconnected and would probably lead to a bad branding for Spider-Man characters in the future, things that they make money off of in merchandising and the like.
    Last edited by TheDarman; 06-19-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Something everyone seems to be not thinking of: While Sony can make their spin-off movies consistent with Homecoming, they don't have the authority to decide whether they're part of the MCU. Marvel may choose to include them for whatever reason, but, at the end of the day, it's their call.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Something everyone seems to be not thinking of: While Sony can make their spin-off movies consistent with Homecoming, they don't have the authority to decide whether they're part of the MCU. Marvel may choose to include them for whatever reason, but, at the end of the day, it's their call.
    It's not quite like that, I think.

Sony could reference events from Homecoming that don't involve characters Marvel licenses. They might even feature minor characters from that film. That'll make it clear that it's in the MCU, even if no Marvel product references Venom or Silver Sable.

Disney could also insist in negotiations that the new films be in a different universe rather than allow Sony to overexpose the MCU, although that's a different way of handling the situation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

The way it appears to me: An uneasy Alliance between Sony and Marvel Studios to get hype on board with Venom. I don't expect Venom to reference much about Peter Parker except flashbacks, I see Sony as wanting to do revive the cancelled concept of Venom vs Carnage that was cancelled by New Line Cinema back in the late 90s.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Sounds like back pedaling and pandering by Sony to me. They sounded stupid when they said that Venom would be separate from MCU, and they still sound rediculous now too.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's not quite like that, I think.

Sony could reference events from Homecoming that don't involve characters Marvel licenses. They might even feature minor characters from that film. That'll make it clear that it's in the MCU, even if no Marvel product references Venom or Silver Sable.
    Being consistent with a series does not make it part of the series. To use an analogy, Star Trek tie-in novels are written to fit into the Star Trek universe, often filling in gaps, fixing errors, and expanding the franchise's story beyond the scope of the TV shows and movies. However, despite that, they are not canonical to Star Trek. In theory, Marvel Studios could handle Sony's spin-offs the same way. Just not count them as part of the MCU canon.

Now, I don't know what they'll do about it, but just because Sony claims everything they're making is MCU material doesn't mean that Sony has to play ball. (In other words, Spider-Man could wind up in a situation where his stories happened in both the MCU and Sony's cinematic universe, like how the original Star Wars trilogies are part of both the canon Star Wars universe Disney is producing now and the non-canon Legends universe that LucasFilm created before the reboot.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Disney could also insist in negotiations that the new films be in a different universe rather than allow Sony to overexpose the MCU, although that's a different way of handling the situation.
    Maybe, and I kind of expect that Marvel Studios will probably do this at least in spirit (by not taking Sony spinoffs into account) if the want to.

(To be totally honest, it was stuff like this -- disagreements over the futures of the franchise and potential contradictions between the series -- that made me highly skeptical that the deal was ever a good idea.)

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Midnight Edge just released a video explaining what Sony's plans are for Spider-Man and how likely it is that they're about to screw Marvel Studios over after the Homecoming sequel(s).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I foresee nothing but problems with this.
    Why can't Disney buy back the movie rights from Sony and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Why can't Disney buy back the movie rights from Sony and be done with it.
    Sony would want a lot of money for a franchise that is very important to them. Disney might not want to pay that much for the movie rights to one series given everything else it owns.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Feige Quote Only Spidey in MCU

"Right now, Spidey is in the MCU and it’s just Spidey. Civil War, Homecoming, we’ve already shot a lot of Tom Holland’s scenes in the upcoming Avengers films, and we’re just starting to solidify our plans for Homecoming 2 – we won’t call it that, whatever it is – which is exciting because it’ll be the first MCU movie after untitled Avengers in 2019. It’ll be the way Civil War informed everything in Homecoming, those movies will launch him off into a very new cinematic universe at that point. Those five movies are we’re focusing on.”

Holland Quotes

"That is something that is far beyond my control. As I know now, I am in the MCU. I am the MCU Spider-Man. I exist in the world of the Avengers. The Venom movie takes place in a different universe, so I have no plans to show up in those movies any time soon. But you know, things change! We'll have to wait and see."

As for Venom in his Spider-Man films. “Everyone’s asking this question, man. It’s never happening,”
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-24-2017 at 09:20 PM.

http://screenrant.com/amy-pascal-son...ver-black-mcu/

Sony confirms Tom Holland's Spider-Man isn't connected to the Venom and other Sony films.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

So I guess we're back to Spider-Man spinoffs having no connection to Spider-Man .

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    http://screenrant.com/amy-pascal-son...ver-black-mcu/

Sony confirms Tom Holland's Spider-Man isn't connected to the Venom and other Sony films.
    Wonder what Pascal's comments about the spinoffs building off of the main Spider-Man movies were all about, then?