Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The Flash is catching up to Batman in terms of sales!!

I never thought I'd see this but Williamsob's Flash is outselling every DC book besides Batman on a consistent basis. It's an amazing run but I'm wondering if it's due to the popularity of the show or if it's just the run. Also, how long do you expect the evil Barry plot to last? Sounds kind of cool. Could be something to extend like Hydra Cap. Give old Wally and Nu Wally a chance to shine for a while as heroes in the main book. If anyone can make that happen tastefully it's Williamson.

This is fantastic. In my opinion, Williamson's Flash has been consistently great since the Rebirth issue.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I think the show has probably played a big role in getting it exposure considering how popular it is. I think when you add in people pirating it, streaming it, or watching it on Netflix, it's one of the biggest network shows in the country with a big fanbase overseas as well. Usually movies or TV don't impact sales so I'm actually impressed.

Spectacular Member

It definitely has what it takes to become a classic run on a character. He obviously loves writing Barry. If he can find a way to make the early issues feel significant without running in to editorial/event pressure it will be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I think the show has probably played a big role in getting it exposure considering how popular it is. I think when you add in people pirating it, streaming it, or watching it on Netflix, it's one of the biggest network shows in the country with a big fanbase overseas as well. Usually movies or TV don't impact sales so I'm actually impressed.
    Yeah, you look at Marvel's sales and so often books tied to a hot MCU movie or show end up dead in the water sales-wise after a few issues (Guardians of the Galaxy being the only real notable exception). Even their "A-List" books or characters face some steady sales attrition.

That The Flash is actually picking up sales on a consistent basis is as surprising as it is impressive .

BANNED

The uptick in sales is due to the crossover with Batman. It is is selling well, and is one of DC's best sellers but sales aren't going to be heading upwards after the crossover is done.

Yeah, The Button crossover has certainly boosted sales.
    I've enjoyed it since rebirth and I'd give the writing an A, but the artwork really lets it down IMO... I don't like the style it's drawn, it's like it's been sketched quickly and I wish they'd get rid of the lightning.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Good news!
    I'd like to think it'd sell even better when the story picks up a little.
    Flash has never been a huge seller, even when Waid and Johns were writing it, so anything upwards of 40K a month is wonderful.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Spectacular Member

Fantastic to hear, as a massive flash fan (my favourite Dc hero, yeah both OG Wally and Barry) this fills me with great joy, the flash is back to being a great book and like 'SiegePerilous02' stated in another thread it's been consistently excellent since the rogues reloaded arc, I agree that the Button arc helped sales but I don't think it's just that, the tv show has obviously helped and more to the fact that the writing and characterization has been excellent imo.

Also agree with some that the only weak point has been the lacklustre art, it does sometimes feel rushed and unenergetic but hey am really enjoying this run.

BANNED

Flash #20 - 53,828 (last issue before the crossover began)
    Flash #23 - 54,640 (first issue after the crossover concluded)

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Flash #20 - 53,828 (last issue before the crossover began)
    Flash #23 - 54,640 (first issue after the crossover concluded)
    Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting (cue Flash theme music) .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting (cue Flash theme music) .
    Flash was outselling Superman, even before the crossover started.

Pretty impressive.

Always Rakzo

Well, considering the current state of Batman is not something hard to imagine.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Maybe now they'll start selling some of the Flash trades in discount stores. I saw one for Batman, Harley, and Aquaman at a Target months back. Shocked me as has been decades since saw comics in a department store to the point that for decades I thought the comics business was a dead industry. Unfortunately, those particular titles were not ones I wanted. I'd certainly consider a Flash title though unless it was one I already had.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

With those sales, I'm wondering how long before we get any kind of Flash spinoff? A book doing that well, you'd expect DC to try for a second title, whether it be starring OG!Wally or a "Flash Year One" story.