Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default The Flash is catching up to Batman in terms of sales!!

I never thought I'd see this but Williamsob's Flash is outselling every DC book besides Batman on a consistent basis. It's an amazing run but I'm wondering if it's due to the popularity of the show or if it's just the run. Also, how long do you expect the evil Barry plot to last? Sounds kind of cool. Could be something to extend like Hydra Cap. Give old Wally and Nu Wally a chance to shine for a while as heroes in the main book. If anyone can make that happen tastefully it's Williamson.

This is fantastic. In my opinion, Williamson's Flash has been consistently great since the Rebirth issue.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I think the show has probably played a big role in getting it exposure considering how popular it is. I think when you add in people pirating it, streaming it, or watching it on Netflix, it's one of the biggest network shows in the country with a big fanbase overseas as well. Usually movies or TV don't impact sales so I'm actually impressed.

Spectacular Member

It definitely has what it takes to become a classic run on a character. He obviously loves writing Barry. If he can find a way to make the early issues feel significant without running in to editorial/event pressure it will be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I think the show has probably played a big role in getting it exposure considering how popular it is. I think when you add in people pirating it, streaming it, or watching it on Netflix, it's one of the biggest network shows in the country with a big fanbase overseas as well. Usually movies or TV don't impact sales so I'm actually impressed.
    Yeah, you look at Marvel's sales and so often books tied to a hot MCU movie or show end up dead in the water sales-wise after a few issues (Guardians of the Galaxy being the only real notable exception). Even their "A-List" books or characters face some steady sales attrition.

That The Flash is actually picking up sales on a consistent basis is as surprising as it is impressive .

BANNED

The uptick in sales is due to the crossover with Batman. It is is selling well, and is one of DC's best sellers but sales aren't going to be heading upwards after the crossover is done.

Yeah, The Button crossover has certainly boosted sales.
    I've enjoyed it since rebirth and I'd give the writing an A, but the artwork really lets it down IMO... I don't like the style it's drawn, it's like it's been sketched quickly and I wish they'd get rid of the lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The uptick in sales is due to the crossover with Batman. It is is selling well, and is one of DC's best sellers but sales aren't going to be heading upwards after the crossover is done.
    And the gimmick covers are helping, too.
    Expect more of those.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

What?

A good Flash book always sells above 50k, this isn't anything new. TV doesn't effect the sales.

Geez people, did we really forget everything before Venditti or Infinite Crisis? Heck, even Manapul run was selling 60k.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    What?

A good Flash book always sells above 50k, this isn't anything new. TV doesn't effect the sales.

Geez people, did we really forget everything before Venditti or Infinite Crisis? Heck, even Manapul run was selling 60k.
    It's more of its standing and who it's ahead of than the actual numbers which are prob diff now with digital being much bigger. I mean it's outselling Amazing Spider-Man and only Batman and Justice League are selling more for DC

It's more of its standing and who it's ahead of than the actual numbers which are prob diff now with digital being much bigger. I mean it's outselling Amazing Spider-Man and only Batman and Justice League are selling more for DC
    Again, this ain't new, especially back in 90s. Flash started to lose steam after Identity Crisis/Infinite Crisis, before that it was solid top 10. They are mostly bringing back older fans who quit DC and those who simply enjoy good enough stories.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

It might indeed be the best run relative to the era (50,000 sales is much more impressive now than it was 25 years ago, i.e.) and factoring in digital sales. It would be fun trying to find the best run sales-wise from the Golden Age to today, come to think of it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I'm actually impressed. I haven't read the flash stuff but I didn't figure it's be up there. Should I read them? Trade or singles?
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom