Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Am I the Only Fan of the Original Expanded Universe

Who refuses to see this new brand of Star Wars in theater or purchase the dvds?

I don't want to be told it's a futile gesture or that I'm a crazy fan boy. I just want to know if I'm the only one.

I didn't see the Force Awakens till it was on dvd at the local library and I'm just now watching Rogue One. My brother loaned it to me.

And while I find it enjoyable I can't help but wish that

K2s0 was squeaky or emtrey from the stackpole/alston x-wing books
    Krennick was daala from the kevin j anderson books or ysanne isarde from the x-wing books
    Saw gurerra was garm bel iblis from the heir to the empire books
    (If I spelled any of these names right it was out of sheer luck)

Well I didn't go to quite the extreme you went, but I do think they messed up with the Expanded Universe. They were coming close to finishing it, and I think a 5 book series would have given us the Sith Vs Sith war, the triumphant return of the Jedi, and a shot of the vision of the future that everyone was seeing where Alaina Solo brings in a Golden Age, and that would have ended the series.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Saw actually debuted in 2012, shortly before Disney's buy out and two years before they finally tossed most of the original EU out. So for a while, he was a part of the older stuff, although the part about him parting with the rest of the Alliance was pretty much created for "Rogue One". Even then, Garm hardly seemed as crazy as Saw was. He just felt Mon Mothma had too much power and didn't want to replace one Emperor with another; while in Rogue One it seems he was thrown out of the alliance because of his tactics.

I think part of the problem was that the EU was kind of recycling itself a bit; after being experimental with the NJO and Dark Nest, Legacy of the Force, the legacy comics and Fate of the Jedi seemed a bit more 'business as usual'....galactic civil wars, jedi vs. sith etc. although that's kind of what TFA did at least (Although there seems to be some evidence the next two episodes might shake things up more).

I don't really see any connection between Krennick and Daala. Daala was a big Tarkin fan. Krennick? The exact opposite. Isard seemed more cold and calculating than the overly impulsive and temper of Krennic.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-24-2017 at 04:23 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I still re-read the Zahn novels and the Rogue Squadron comics from time to time, but I also understand why the EU got canned. While it was good enough to be mined for material, it was also so 'expanded' that to keep it would have been a set of handcuffs on any of the new films.

Even Zahn's second duology suffers a quality hit from having to acknowledge other EU bits.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think part of the problem was that the EU was kind of recycling itself a bit; after being experimental with the NJO and Dark Nest, Legacy of the Force, the legacy comics and Fate of the Jedi seemed a bit more 'business as usual'....galactic civil wars, jedi vs. sith etc. although that's kind of what TFA did at least (Although there seems to be some evidence the next two episodes might shake things up more).
    The real big problem with the EU was that ditching it became a necessity as soon as somebody decided "hey, let's make episode VII".
    Because then you would either have to retcon it completely, or have zero room to maneuver and be shackled to 2 decades worth of continuity your actual main mainstream audience doesn't care even a teensy tiny little bit about.

And most of the plot for 2019's Episode IX would be 15 years old and well known to the dedicated hardcore fanbase.
    Last edited by Carabas; 06-24-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Plus Disney isn't wholly responsible for the shifts in the canon, either. The prequels-and especially the Clone Wars TV show-didn't exactly gell with certain elements of the novels and comics, even the more recent ones.

For instance, Lucas's interpetation of the Jedi and Sith orders, as well as the old Republic, is very different from the backstories that had been established up to that point (Mainly by Tom Veitch and Kevin J. Anderson) and also the development of the Death Star (Lucas for instance showing it's design and construction went all the way back to the Clone Wars, something contradicted by various books crediting Tarkin with it's development and having it be a fairly recent construction). Also, Boba Fett's past. There were of course, attempts to fit things together using various retcons.

Clone Wars in particular started to change a lot of things-for instance, the fact that Anakin had a padawan didn't seem to gell too well with the Clone Wars comics and novels that had preceded it, which showed Anakin pretty much going it alone (although with some help from Obi-Wan) and only getting promoted fairly late in the war. Characters were killed in different ways, and most controversial at all Mandalore was changed from a full warrior planet to a peaceful utopia but with a warrior past that wanted to bring back the old ways....and so on.

If anything, cutting out the old EU streamlined what was becoming a sort of tangled mess. (Although I suppose it could become a tangled mess again).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Who refuses to see this new brand of Star Wars in theater or purchase the dvds?

I don't want to be told it's a futile gesture or that I'm a crazy fan boy. I just want to know if I'm the only one.

I didn't see the Force Awakens till it was on dvd at the local library and I'm just now watching Rogue One. My brother loaned it to me.

And while I find it enjoyable I can't help but wish that

K2s0 was squeaky or emtrey from the stackpole/alston x-wing books
    Krennick was daala from the kevin j anderson books or ysanne isarde from the x-wing books
    Saw gurerra was garm bel iblis from the heir to the empire books
    (If I spelled any of these names right it was out of sheer luck)
    Nope. you are not the only one that did that. I too have stopped watching the movies, or reading any of the comics. etc.
    I too did that.

BANNED

For instance, Lucas's interpetation of the Jedi and Sith orders, as well as the old Republic, is very different from the backstories that had been established up to that point (Mainly by Tom Veitch and Kevin J. Anderson) and also the development of the Death Star (Lucas for instance showing it's design and construction went all the way back to the Clone Wars, something contradicted by various books crediting Tarkin with it's development and having it be a fairly recent construction).
    Rogue One seems to have retconned the Prequel origins of the Death Star entirely, making it Krennic's baby, with Galen Erso as the midwife.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Rogue One seems to have retconned the Prequel origins of the Death Star entirely, making it Krennic's baby, with Galen Erso as the midwife.
    It does however plug that 'fatal flaw' plothole quite nicely. The 2 meter wide exhaust port wasn't a flaw, it was a feature.

For the most part i don't mind the new canon but Mara Jade man, love the character, Skywalker, the whole hand of emperor thing is pretty cool...but quite obviously that's not the direction SW is taking so, yeah, a bit bumped about that one.

But well, the original material is still around (reprinted even for some) so at least they aren't trying to bury everything with all the might of the evil empire of the cursed mouse.

Saw actually debuted in 2012, shortly before Disney's buy out and two years before they finally tossed most of the original EU out. So for a while, he was a part of the older stuff, although the part about him parting with the rest of the Alliance was pretty much created for "Rogue One". Even then, Garm hardly seemed as crazy as Saw was. He just felt Mon Mothma had too much power and didn't want to replace one Emperor with another; while in Rogue One it seems he was thrown out of the alliance because of his tactics.

I don't really see any connection between Krennick and Daala. Daala was a big Tarkin fan. Krennick? The exact opposite. Isard seemed more cold and calculating than the overly impulsive and temper of Krennic.

She was in charge of the Death Star project in the Maw.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It does however plug that 'fatal flaw' plothole quite nicely. The 2 meter wide exhaust port wasn't a flaw, it was a feature.
    They covered that in the Death Star Novel as well. It was a mistake in the blue prints or something (its been forever since I read that novel)

that never needed to be plugged.

The rebels did something completely unexpected on top of having a force user.

It was like when the British were confused that the American were hiding in trees and shooting from there instead of neatly walking in formating toward fire.

This is why this movie is silly on all levels. And internet joke was actually turned into a movie.

BANNED

I never saw it as a plothole. If something that size with that kind of energy output doesn't have some really huge exhaust ports, it'll blow up all on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    that never needed to be plugged.

The rebels did something completely unexpected on top of having a force user.

It was like when the British were confused that the American were hiding in trees and shooting from there instead of neatly walking in formating toward fire.

This is why this movie is silly on all levels. And internet joke was actually turned into a movie.
    This is actually a myth, the British employed guerilla troops too and all major engagements of the war were primarily decided by large blocks of men shooting at one another.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut