Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This is actually a myth, the British employed guerilla troops too and all major engagements of the war were primarily decided by large blocks of men shooting at one another.
    right. it's not much different from the American confusion over their failure to defeat the Viet Minh over 100 years later.

as you say, large blocks of men standing in formation would shoot each other. the guns were so wildly inaccurate; they took a long time to load and left people vulnerable when doing so. the blocks of formation allowed people to sustain fire when modern rifles were not available. these tactics only look silly when you transpose modern mechanics on to historical scenarios. first line opens fire, then kneels down to reload while a second line behind them opens fire. when the second line starts reloading a third line opens fire, and the whole thing starts over again.

pretty sure this comes from a Bill Cosby stand-up routine as well. it's funny, sure. but it's not history. (he also saw fit to use this same comparison to Custer vs the Indians.)

In regards to the OP, I was reading and enjoying Star Wars novels long before the Disney buyout.

However, I was not very happy with most of the stuff they were doing at the end of that run. I'm really liking the new stuff (movies and tie-ins), in many cases more than the old stuff. So, am I an old EU (AKA "Legends") fan? Yes, but I think I appreciate it more for the memories then for what it was, if that makes any sense.

Spectacular Member

I liked a lot of the older Legends material, such as the Thrawn Trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn duology, the X-Wing series, etcetera. However, I think things started going downhill during Legacy of the Force when Jacen fell to the Dark Side almost exactly the same way his grandfather did and Mara Jade was killed, rendering the New Jedi Order series practically moot. As such, I, for one, am glad that Disney scrapped the stories and is cherrypicking the good stuff (Thrawn) from it. While I would like to see Mara Jade in the new Disney canon as well, or someone like her since she was my favorite Legends character, but I won't be too upset if they don't bring her back.

Extraordinary Member

I love Wraith Squadron, the Thrawn books (not just the trilogy), Hard Contact (though not the rest of the RC series), Jango Fett: Open Season, Bounty Hunter, Dark Forces, and the Young Jedi Knight series. And I owned most of the essential guides.

My favorite character was Jacen Solo, though....

So I've got mixed feeling on everything under Del Rey in regards to the NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Im still a fan and reader of the original Star Wars novels and original 1977-1980s Marvel Star Wars comic series.

Im just not fond of the newer stuff such as the Aftermath trilogy.

Im still buying old Star Wars books in paperback and Ive been buying the old X Wing novels to binge read and catch up on before buying the last 2 X Wing books.

I also still have Crystal Star to read along with the entire Legacy novels and Fate of the Jedi along with the last official novel Crucible.

Plus I still havent read Dark Empire at all. or even finished the rest of the Tales of the Jedi Dark Lords of the Sith Dark Horse comic series

iMan 42s

I made a thread on how much I just don't get the love of the Clone wars TV show so I do understand that some might be a little put off from new canon content. Clone wars for me is a frustrating sit so whenever I can I just ignore it or watch the few episodes that are legitimately good so I'm fine with it.

It just seems though that when Disney or Marvel try to replace or reintroduce old stories and concepts they tend to do it poorly.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Clone Wars was part of the old EU though. It's the one bit that got carried over to the new EU.

Actually, the flaw Galen built in was some sort of error in the reactor itself. There's really no mention of the exhaust port at all "The reactor module, that's the key. That's the place I've laid my trap. It's well hidden and unstable, one blast to any part of it will destroy the entire station." The rebels-including Erso-don't seem to know about the Exhaust port weakness until the plans arrive on Yavin IV.

Of course, one wonders if they didn't fix the error for ROTJ, although they had to shoot the "power regulator" as well as the main reactor itself.

An arc of Clone Wars that was unfinished and some episodes of Rebels clear up the Death Star design history (as well as the novel Catalyst which I haven't read yet). Basically they're able to build the superstructure of the station over Geonosis with Krennic and Tarkin working on it (and killing the Geonosians after they've done their part), but the superlaser proves difficult so they need Galen's expertise with kyber to make it work.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-25-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Clone Wars was part of the old EU though. It's the one bit that got carried over to the new EU.
    The Clone Wars had a theatrical release and the show going as long as it did was deemed important enough by Lucasfilm. While Clone Wars didn't start as new canon, it was acquired midway through it's run and used as a basis for everything that occurred in the prequel trilogy era since. It was primary canon at the time of release, and since it was acquired midway through its run when Disney attained Lucasfilm, they simply never changed this when the 2014 purge happened. What they did do however was use the Clone Wars TV show as a basis for what the clone wars itself was like, and this is reflective in most content that has appeared since. Since the movie and TV show was deemed canon on the level of the saga movies post-Disney acquiring it, it could be considered post-Disney Star wars at least in the later parts since Disney would progressively have a hand in it.

It's really an odd mixture of both old and new and more or less the transitional piece Disney used when it came to canon.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Since the movie and TV show was deemed canon on the level of the saga movies post-Disney acquiring it, it could be considered post-Disney Star wars at least in the later parts since Disney would progressively have a hand in it.
    I think the only hand Disney had in it is that it was canceled.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I don't refuse to see them, since all of my friends are talking about them, and I don't enjoy being told I have no valid opinion since I haven't seen them. But I definitely refuse to buy the DVDs.

But I do have a ton of fondness for the Zahn books and the Allston X-Wing novels. I'm rereading the X-Wing books along with the Rogue Podron podcast - they just finished Iron Fist, and they are still really excellent books better than anything the new canon has pumped out. I agree with a lot of commentors here that after NJO, the whole Dark Nest/Legacy/Fate of the Jedi storyline was poorly handled (even if I like most of Allston's contributions to each series), and much as I dislike the decision to destroy the EU, I don't actually miss much of it from the last decade of it except for X-Wing: Mercy Kill.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This is actually a myth, the British employed guerilla troops too and all major engagements of the war were primarily decided by large blocks of men shooting at one another.
    Ok, it was like when a Knight in plate armour was charging forward laughing that they couldnt be hit by arrows and then he gets shot by a cross bow bolt.

The old EU had a lot of 2 steps forward 3 steps back stuff for me.

For every good story or idea, there were always 2-3 more that were stupid or not very good.

The new EU so far seems to be safer in terms of that BUT when they do takes risks, it's with unknown characters so not much is at stake.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I just finished reading Aftermath Empires End earlier today and Im kinda disappointed.

I still prefer Truce at Bakura and the Luke Skywalker Shadows of Mindor novels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The new EU so far seems to be safer in terms of that BUT when they do takes risks, it's with unknown characters so not much is at stake.
    I vastly prefer new characters.