Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wolverine Starter Kit?

Say I'm just getting into Marvel comics and want to read about Wolverine. What should I hit up?

Larry Hama's Wolverine run. That run is the reason I became a Wolverine fan. To some extent not a lot, but just a little, Jean Grey.

BANNED

Well to start with, you can just read the original Uncanny X Men series where Claremont made the new crew of Wolverien with Storm and Banshee and Nightcrawler.

Theres also the old Marvel Comics Presents issues where they have the Weapon X story arc and its pretty bloody and graphic

then the 1990s Wolverine series is the best if you want to see Wolverine duke it out with his personal rogues bad guys.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post
    Larry Hama's Wolverine run. That run is the reason I became a Wolverine fan.
    Wow, I was just going to make a thread on this! My first Wolverine comic was #50. I recently got the 3 Larry Hama trades, issues #31-57, and they're just so good. Like exactly what you want from a guy who actually knows Japanese warrior culture intimately and shows considerable insight into war history. He also brought some understated humor. Add some amazing work from Marc Silvestri as main artist and legendary guest creators like Walt Simonson, Mike Mignola, Peter David, Andy Kubert, and Alan Davis.

I'd recommend the Epic Collection featuring the beginning of the comic and the Goodwin/Byrne run that followed, but starting with Hama is more quickly rewarding imo. From #31-90, then the Weapon X part of the Age of Apocalypse crossover. Not hard stuff to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Wow, I was just going to make a thread on this! My first Wolverine comic was #50.
    That's awesome! Mine was Wolverine #96. Too bad, I lost it. Lol.

Oh, I don't think I have any comic I owned before 2004 anyway.

But to apologize for my not so casual post: welcome gorblax. Although Wolverine was created a few years before, the character didn't have a story before joining the X-Men in 1975. From there, Len Wein, Chris Claremont, John Byrne, and Dave Cockrum were the ones to fill in his backstory and give him.key scenes in the storylines. In 1982, he received a four part series of his own. In 1988, he received an ongoing series.

While Chris Claremont wrote a story separate from the X-Men, where Wolverine fought crime in a fictional southeast Asian country (it was a change of pace from the X-Men) , Larry Hama started writing at ossue 31. He stayed as main writer for a long time and added much.

Marvel has a trade paperback collecting the original Chris Claremont issues of the comic and a few other stories. Hama issues have so far been collecting in three trade paperbacks containing the first chunk of his time as writer

Giant Sized X-Men, then on into Claremont's Uncanny X-Men afterwards.

Claremont's Wolverine mini series.

Marvel Comics Presents: Weapon X

Wolverine Vol 1 starting around issue 48

X-Men Vol 2

Reading that will give you the experience of what made the character so popular, IMO. Those are all Wolverine core works.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post
    That's awesome! Mine was Wolverine #96. Too bad, I lost it. Lol.
    Mine was #94. Which helped make me a wolvie and jubilee fam, that and the animated series
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Wow, I was just going to make a thread on this! My first Wolverine comic was #50. I recently got the 3 Larry Hama trades, issues #31-57, and they're just so good. Like exactly what you want from a guy who actually knows Japanese warrior culture intimately and shows considerable insight into war history. He also brought some understated humor. Add some amazing work from Marc Silvestri as main artist and legendary guest creators like Walt Simonson, Mike Mignola, Peter David, Andy Kubert, and Alan Davis.

I'd recommend the Epic Collection featuring the beginning of the comic and the Goodwin/Byrne run that followed, but starting with Hama is more quickly rewarding imo. From #31-90, then the Weapon X part of the Age of Apocalypse crossover. Not hard stuff to track down.
    What are the title of the three Hama trades if I may ask. I was only aware of two. It's a defining run for me as well.

Everything Wolverine is in that has Claremont's name on it.

when I started to read Wolverine comics properly around the time of the second Wolverine solo film I picked up the Claremont/Miller trade the film was loosely based on and then the Weapon X trade and the original Old Man Logan mini. Honestly there are so many trades out there that anyone can pick up a cross section from different writers on the cheap and then figure out which eras they like best and move on from there. Personally in retrospect I liked the Greg Ruka and Jason Aaron runs the best overall.

Frank Tieri's run was awesome as well.

BANNED

The 1990s Wolverine solo series was and still is great. I didnt get into it until issue 47. Issues 47 to 57 are a great jumping into point for the Wolverine comic pretty much. Oh issue 35 is pretty nea since it has Puck from Alpha Flight in it.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    What are the title of the three Hama trades if I may ask. I was only aware of two. It's a defining run for me as well.
    Back in the day there was only one trade that jumped around in issues. A few years ago, they started doing "Wolverine by Hama and Silvestri" collecting all of the issues consecutively. This was the most recent one.

Of course, for a "starter kit" it goes without saying that Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith is probably the best Wolverine period.

I love the Epic Collection called Wolverine: Madripoor Nights. SO much fun to read.