Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marvel legacy

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    As someone that actually works in publishing, I can tell you with certainty that the readers' idea that less titles means more readers will focus on a smaller line and the average sales will be better it's totally bulls**t. Decades after decades of publishing experience are proof of this. What generally happens, if you publish 50 comics a month, or a 50 books a year, and you cut your production, it's not that the rest of your line will sell better but that readers will look for what they like from other publishers.

Publishers generally cut their production for one and only one reason, when the returns don't justify the production costs anymore. And they always do that with the hope, and plan, that, once their revenues stabilize, they will expand their line again.

DC has cut its line and focused on the books that sold, even making them bimonthly, not because they love readers, or value classic readers more than new readers, and other similar naive reasons, but because they were losing money month after month, their experiments weren't working and they couldn't afford to lose anymore money.
    Might work if you don't have a relatively inaccessible limited distribution network and comparatively high pricing versus other forms of entertainment. When you're still just selling to the same white dudes who have always been there...

Female-led titles do better on comiXology. I expect for these books, they make 20-50% of print sales via digital instead of the oft quoted 10%. That said, Wednesday warriors on comiXology are still likely mostly well-off. Focus publishing efforts on trades, Kindle Unlimited, etc. where the new readers actually are.

Mind, there is value in simplicity. If you've got new readers coming from, say, watching movies or TV series, having one book such as The Walking Dead is much easier than multiple Avengers books which don't look like the movie.

That's also where team books and supporting characters in main books come in. Instead of solos, Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain fans can follow their adventures in Tec. I get my Lois Lane fix via Action and Superman. I buy Teen Titans for Raven and I'm sure there are those who get it for Starfire, Robin (Damian), Kid Flash (Black Wally), Beast Boy and Aqualad. Instead of a bunch of low-selling solos, the sales are additive. Not anywhere near 5x but then you've got lower costs, too.

I'm not getting the Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist solos but I'm getting Defenders. Fingers crossed Defenders doesn't have a crossover with all the solos that I have to buy 4-5 more books a month or that'll cause me to drop it.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Well, thank BC and readers' gullibility. They write that a story could be about the FF, then they discover they are wrong, and obviously their and their readers' reaction is to say that Marvel is trolling them not that their articles are pure speculation without facts that end being wrong.
    I can see where BC got their idea at least, and the FF news we did get was still fairly underwhelming ...
    Obviously, at least on this forums, people seems more inclined to denounce marketing speak when when they don't like what it communicates, and to take it for good when it says what they want to hear (back to the roots, meat & potatoes, blah blah blah). But it's still marketing speak, even when you like it. DC has cut its line and focused on the books that sold, even making them bimonthly, not because they love readers, or value classic readers more than new readers, and other similar naive reasons, but because they were losing money month after month, their experiments weren't working and they couldn't afford to lose anymore money. Idem for Marvel.
    I'd like to think that both can play into it to some degree...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd like to think that both can play into it to some degree...
    If Marvel experiment to go all in with diverse and fringe character wold have worked, giving life to multiple Ms Marvel phenomenon and best selling cults like Fraction/Aja Hawkeye, and their sales had stayed steady or raised, they wouldn't have cared about bringing back the old heroes, or "going back to their roots" because they would not had a reason. For any publisher gaining many young readers, even at the expense of a section of the old ones, if the numbers stays okay, it's something good, new reader will be around longer, grow into readers able to spend more and evangelize the next generation.

If Marvel experiment to go all in with diverse and fringe character wold have worked, giving life to multiple Ms Marvel phenomenon and best selling cults like Fraction/Aja Hawkeye, and their sales had stayed steady or raised, they wouldn't have cared about bringing back the old heroes, or "going back to their roots" because they would not had a reason. For any publisher gaining many young readers, even at the expense of a section of the old ones, if the numbers stays okay, it's something good, new reader will be around longer, grow into readers able to spend more and evangelize the next generation.
    I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it's interesting to think about...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Part of me was thinking if RYV could count, then why not the Spider-Island mini-series from Gage released around the same time? [Which was not only just as good, but the Mayday Parker shorts in the title continued developments from Spider-Verse]

But then, if you go back and read ''Power Play'', you'll notice the events of Slott's RYV are almost recollected by Peter, MJ and Regent, so somehow it does count as part of Slott's overall story. Whether or not there's anything more to this will have to be seen. You know how he is with the long game.
    Exactly...I'm not a fan of Slott but it does appear to me also that RYV's does somehow play into Slott's larger story and that it should count. Slott also mentioned at one time that a RYV's and 616 crossover could happen. I personally, would like to see that happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    Exactly...I'm not a fan of Slott but it does appear to me also that RYV's does somehow play into Slott's larger story and that it should count. Slott also mentioned at one time that a RYV's and 616 crossover could happen. I personally, would like to see that happen.
    So would I. 616 Peter would really see what he's missing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    I agree with this. RYV just shouldn't count. It is not an Amazing Spider-Man 616 story.
    It had Amazing Spider-Man in the title. It briefly replaced Amazing Spider-Man. It was by the writer of Amazing Spider-Man.

I could see the argument that it counts for numbering.

Overthinking things with the two issues of Amazing Scarlet Spider...
    1) It didn't have Spider-Man in the title.
    2) It was not counted in the calculations for Amazing Spider-Man #500.
    3) It was preceded and followed by the standard numbering for Amazing Spider-Man.
    4) It kinda sucked.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It had Amazing Spider-Man in the title. It briefly replaced Amazing Spider-Man. It was by the writer of Amazing Spider-Man.

I could see the argument that it counts for numbering.

Overthinking things with the two issues of Amazing Scarlet Spider...
    1) It didn't have Spider-Man in the title.
    2) It was not counted in the calculations for Amazing Spider-Man #500.
    3) It was preceded and followed by the standard numbering for Amazing Spider-Man.
    4) It kinda sucked.
    The quality of a story in regards to the numbering of an ongoing series seems irrelevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    So would I. 616 Peter would really see what he's missing.
    Yep...I would really like to see the interactions between these characters and how they react to one another. It could make for a very great story if done right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    Yep...I would really like to see the interactions between these characters and how they react to one another. It could make for a very great story if done right.
    Agreed. I'm just worried it wouldn't be done that well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    Agreed. I'm just worried it wouldn't be done that well.
    That would be a fear of mine also.

BANNED

Marvel Legacy covers allegedly were released without creator input

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...eators-comics/

Mighty Member

Marvel Legacy covers allegedly were released without creator input

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...eators-comics/
    Marvel is a rudderless ship these days

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

According to the bleedingcool.com articles at least rward777 but tbf I haven't seen or heard anything to confirm that either way. Like I've said in another thread I shall wait and see what happens in the next year or two.

Mighty Member

Not to mention ''The Fall of Parker'' kicks off the twelve-issue build to Eight Hundred and Slott's third anniversary issue in a row.
    Hopefully Slott's final storyline.