Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

I liked Heroes for Hire and Quicksilver from the 90's (together).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    How about the Kurt Busiek/George Perez run on Avengers. I thought this was THE best run on that book in the last quarter century.
    100% in agreement!

mark waid and one of the kuberts pumped out about 14 issues of ka-zar. he fought thanos. good stuff.

steven seagle's alpha flight was great through the first year. i have never in my life cared about alpha flight outside of his run.

joe kelly's deadpool is the best deadpool.

until the day i die i shall lament the loss of marvel universe, which lasted 7 issues. it was supposed to focus on the marvel universe prior to fantastic four #1 in 1961. the first three issues had the invaders, the last four featured the monster hunters. so much potential.

warren ellis' four-issue "not dead yet" run on wolverine is by far my favorite wolverine story.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I always have to give some love to the 90's Silver Surfer series. I loved the Jim Starlin/Ron Lim (32-50) and the Ron Marz/ Ron Lim (51-91) runs. Just amazing cosmic action and both writers really knew how to use the WHOLE cosmic side of the MCU, and Ron Lim drew one of the best Silver Surfers ever.

Another great cosmic series was Warlock and the Infinity Watch which sprang out of the Infinity Gauntlet event. That along with The Warlock Chronicles mini series just made it a great time to be a cosmic Marvel fan.

Not a mention of New Warriors? Seriously?!

BANNED

The original New Warriors series was to me great as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by noiseredux View Post
    as it happens, I read Spider-Man: Return Of The Sinister Six (1991) over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Totally recommend that one. On the flip, I also read Spider-Man: Torment (1990) a few months back... and didn't really enjoy it.
    I on the other hand did Loved how Todd McFarlane depicted the Lizard and Calypso in that one.
    Another one I read not that long ago was The New Fantastic Four: Monsters Unleashed (1991) that I thought was pretty cool. In it the actual FF are in peril and a new temporary team is assembled consisting of Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man and The Hulk.
    I'd love to see this happen in live-action in the Marvel Cinematic Universe post MCU Phase 3!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

- Onslaught Saga: That was the big X-Men event for me back in the 90s
    - Maximum Carnage: A crazy story with many heroes trying to stop the bloodbath
    - McFarlane's Spiderman: Some of my favorite Spiderman Stories
    - Venom: Lethal Protector

If you want a single issue fun, then Amazing Spiderman 350 is worth checking out. Spiderman fights Doctor Doom. The fight didn't go well for Spidey (putting it lightly) and he has to find/team up with a burglar to retrieve an item that was stolen from Doom

Gruenwald Captain America.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Heroes for Hire by Ostrander
    Ka-Zar by Waid
    Thunderbolts by Busiek
    Namor by Byrne
    Avengers by Busiek
    New Warriors by Nicieza
    X-Factor by David
    Hulk by David
    Ghost Rider by Mackie

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Not a mention of New Warriors? Seriously?!
    One of the best title of the 90's.

Peace

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I don't know if you mind X-Books but I always felt this one was more a European Avengers than X-Men. But I'd pick up Alan Davis writing and art run of the 90s as well as the Warren Ellis run of Excalibur as well later that same era. It has some nice art by Carlos Pacheco (before X-Men stole him) and Casey Jones. The beginning Claremont/Davis arcs are also good but you may be turned off by all the dimension hopping like some were and it started in 88 but it's close enough, I think. I'd give this story a go. But Marvel seems to like to **** on this book for some reason.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-11-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I liked Heroes for Hire and Quicksilver from the 90's (together).
    Those were both good and I was especially sad when HFH was cancelled, great art, writing and characters.

LOL! I jumped in without reading your name! I'm pretty sure you've read Excalibur already.

Have you read Thunder Bolts or Captain Marvel? The Captain Marvel was male in this but not the original I'm pretty sure. I rather enjoyed that one and the art was good as well. I can't remember the writer, though, but I think it was Peter David or Mark Waid.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-11-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Those were both good and I was especially sad when HFH was cancelled, great art, writing and characters.

LOL! I jumped in without reading your name! I'm pretty sure you've read Excalibur already.

Have you read Thunder Bolts or Captain Marvel? The Captain Marvel was male in this but not the original I'm pretty sure. I rather enjoyed that one and the art was good as well. I can't remember the writer, though, but I think it was Peter David or Mark Waid.
    The writer was Peter David and it was about the adventures of Genis-Vell, the son of Mar-Vell, the original Captain Marvel. IMHO, the best heir, and the one that made most sense, of the Captain Marvel title. To rise sales, PAD made Genis insane, which resulted in amazing stories, but also stigmatized a bit the character, then Fabian Nicieza killed him in the pages of Thunderbolts (although I could see a way to bring him back, but it involved Rick Jones, now also dead).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
    Heroes for Hire and Quicksilver from the 90's (together).
    I don't hold on to comics. I usually end up giving them away but Heroes For Hire was good because I remember buying it month to month. I bailed on Quicksilver after the first issue. It was around this time that I started to suspect that Marvel speedsters were terrible.

Good to see people shout out The Silver Surfer runs. The Jim Starlin/Ron Lim and Ron Marz/Ron Lim runs are the best Surfer runs. Ron Lim is the greatest Silver Surfer artist of all time, better than Kirby and Moebius. Yeah, I said it.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 02-11-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest