Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 90s Marvel comic suggestions

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic and want to re-read some comics from back in the day (already got a head start on collecting Spider-Man 2099), and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get most of the 90's Spiderman comics as well. What are some titles/issues you would suggest that I check out during my nostalgic spree?
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

As a kid I was captivated by the Clone Saga, but looking back on it as an adult it was horrendous.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

How about the Kurt Busiek/George Perez run on Avengers. I thought this was THE best run on that book in the last quarter century.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

X-Cutioners song still holds up in my opinion.

as it happens, I read Spider-Man: Return Of The Sinister Six (1991) over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Totally recommend that one. On the flip, I also read Spider-Man: Torment (1990) a few months back... and didn't really enjoy it.

Another one I read not that long ago was The New Fantastic Four: Monsters Unleashed (1991) that I thought was pretty cool. In it the actual FF are in peril and a new temporary team is assembled consisting of Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man and The Hulk.

I've talked about this in another thread, but it's fitting here - I started reading comics in the late 80's/early 90's and as such have a pretty gigantic nostalgia for that period. I actually stopped reading comics for a really long time, and came back to the hobby a year or two ago now. About six months ago I put together a list of ~25 books from the 90's as a reading list for myself - kind of a combination of classics, not-so-classics, and mostly things I either wanted to revisit from my youth, or wished I had read back then but didn't due to limited funds or just y'know, being a kid and having trouble actually keeping up with monthly issues.

BANNED

Im an older comic book reader and Ive been buying bunch of old back issues of old comics from the 1980s to the 1990s from the comic shop.

Ive been buying Alpha Flight, Power Pack, Alf, Amazing Spider Man issues from the 1990s mostly, early 1990s Batman stuff Detective Comics and regular Batman series, John Byrne's 1987 Superman up to Death of Superman, Nightstalkers, X Men 2099, original Uncanny X Men which I bought issue 150 pretty cheap for 4 bucks from the comic shop and Im concentrating mostly on issues 245 to 308. I have the Marvel Essentials for Uncanny X Men # 95 up to 180something. THen I have Volumes 5 to 7 of the Marvel Essentials X Men.

So I have alot of catching up to do with old comics

BANNED

Xmen 2099, doom 2099, ghost rider 2099

Onslaught saga - 4 trades collecting it all

Uncanny xmen by Joe Mad

heroes return FF and Avengers

Spiderman ben Reilly or 1997 onwards

Venom tooth and claw, along came a spider minis

Generation X

Xmen Operation zero tolerance trades

heroes for hire by pascal ferry

Thunderbolts

Ghost rider by salvador larrocca

Chuck Dixon's run on the Punisher and Moon Knight.
    Christopher Priest's run on Black Panther.
    Anything on Spider-Man before the Clone Saga.
    Peter David's run on Hulk and Captain Marvel.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Some 90's Classics:

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
    The Avengers: The Gatherers Saga.
    ClanDestine.
    Ostrander and Ferry's Heroes for Hire
    Busiek, Nicieza and Bagley's Thunderbolts
    McDuffie's Deathlok (one of my favorites)
    Waid and Garney's Captain America.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Amazing Spider, New Warriors #1-26, Guardians of the Galaxy #1-26, Darkhawk #1-25, all x-titles.
    Operation Galactic Storm is, IMO, the most perfectly crossover done in comics' history.
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 06-19-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Not going to lie, I'm really enjoying X-Force. I was going in expecting it to be terrible but cheesy fun, but I ended genuinely liking it. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't start well, but, by the time X-Cutioner ties in, I find it actually has more substance than I was expecting and it's just fun.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Joe Kelly and Ed McGuinness' Deadpool

the 90s were not kind to the avengers corner of the MU until the end of the decade, imo. there's very little from the main avengers book, iron man, and thor that i would recommend until heroes return. busiek's avengers is a classic, his first year on iron man was pretty good, and jurgen's thor was a revelation (to me, a guy who hadn't read a good thor run in eons).

captain america was the exception to this rule -- i have a soft spot for mark greunwald's run, and waid/garney were doing great things on the book prior to heroes reborn. waid's first two years on cap post-HR is worth reading, but it's not as good.

reading iron man just prior to heroes reborn might cause you to throw a small animal across the room out of anger, so i advise not reading it if you have pets.

i thought the two main x-books from legion quest through the end of the hunt for xavier crossover were very good. the age of apocalypse, the year-long build-up for onslaught, the actual onslaught tie-ins were good even if you didn't care for the main crossover -- the rebuild (dealing with the public perception that they "killed" the avengers/ff, xavier was missing, warren got his feather wings back) through the end of the lobdell era and then the joe kelly/steven seagle stuff -- all quality.

generation x, from the beginning through operation: zero tolerance is mostly great. it started strong, dipped in the middle when bachelo left, then pumped out a great final year from #17 (bachelo's return) through whatever issue he and lobdell signed off with.

i found daredevil difficult to read until the shift to marvel knights.

there is no point in the 90s i can honestly recommend F4. some people have above, but i can't. i didn't care for it prior to HR, and i didn't care for the short-lived lobdell run or chris claremont's take. there are other decades that were far kinder to marvel's first family.

so much of spider-man's time in the 90s was taken up by events its hard to really pin-point a definitive run. if you have the time and money i do think the clone saga (i think the trades break it up between 'the clone saga' and the 'ben reilly' stuff where he takes over as spider-man) is worth reading. it's big and expansive and not all of it is good, but i personally loved the scarlet spider and the whole thing is so closely tied to spider-lore that they just launched another scarlet spider series by peter david.

there was a short-lived green goblin series that launched around '96 that was one of my favorite little books of the 90s. only lasted thirteen issues, i think.

avengers forever may have been my favorite book of the 90s, and it spawned captain marvel, which was also very good. captain marvel lasted well into the 2000s, though.

peter david's hulk. the onslaught event is generally regarded as the thing that messed up david's endgame with the hulk, and that might be 100% true, but i love the last few years of his hulk just as much as the beginning and middle of his run. it's like he just said screw it, and started putting the hulk in a bunch of zany scenarios (horseman for apocalypse, hulk island, a tribal leader in the savage land). i liked it.

busiek's thunderbolts is A+. many people thought it remained just as strong after he left, but i am not one of those people.

doom and spider-man were the only 2099 series i thought were any good.
    Last edited by Adset; 06-19-2017 at 12:46 PM.

BANNED

Yes green goblin was awesome, fun and a great take on the goblins. it only ran for 13 issues and did have a crossover with Onslaught as well.

Slott turned him into a bad guy recently which sucks because he grew into a hero by the end of his run.

Loved the Onslaught crossovers because most were great self contained stories and involved heroes fighting sentinels you'd never seen face them before.

I also loved the heroes reborn 12 issues of FF by Jim Lee and then Booth.

The heroes return 4 issue mini was great as well

Incredible Hulk from 1993 onwards I really enjoyed until 1998 and the relaunch started.

Ghost Rider
    The Dan Ketch run is worth a read, along with the Spirits of Vengeance and Midnight Sons stuff.

Spider-Man
    McFarlane's run (Spider-Man 1-16, although he was absent for 15)
    Return of the Sinister Six (Amazing Spider-Man 334-339)
    Any crossover/events (Acts of Vengeance, Inferno, Maximum Carnage)

X-Men
    Volume 2. Shame Claremont left after 3 issues, but Jim Lee's art is on point, and also the crossovers with other X-books for stuff like Fatal Attractions and X-Custioner's Song are must reads.