Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 90s Marvel comic suggestions

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic and want to re-read some comics from back in the day (already got a head start on collecting Spider-Man 2099), and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get most of the 90's Spiderman comics as well. What are some titles/issues you would suggest that I check out during my nostalgic spree?
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

As a kid I was captivated by the Clone Saga, but looking back on it as an adult it was horrendous.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

How about the Kurt Busiek/George Perez run on Avengers. I thought this was THE best run on that book in the last quarter century.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

X-Cutioners song still holds up in my opinion.

as it happens, I read Spider-Man: Return Of The Sinister Six (1991) over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Totally recommend that one. On the flip, I also read Spider-Man: Torment (1990) a few months back... and didn't really enjoy it.

Another one I read not that long ago was The New Fantastic Four: Monsters Unleashed (1991) that I thought was pretty cool. In it the actual FF are in peril and a new temporary team is assembled consisting of Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man and The Hulk.

I've talked about this in another thread, but it's fitting here - I started reading comics in the late 80's/early 90's and as such have a pretty gigantic nostalgia for that period. I actually stopped reading comics for a really long time, and came back to the hobby a year or two ago now. About six months ago I put together a list of ~25 books from the 90's as a reading list for myself - kind of a combination of classics, not-so-classics, and mostly things I either wanted to revisit from my youth, or wished I had read back then but didn't due to limited funds or just y'know, being a kid and having trouble actually keeping up with monthly issues.

BANNED

Im an older comic book reader and Ive been buying bunch of old back issues of old comics from the 1980s to the 1990s from the comic shop.

Ive been buying Alpha Flight, Power Pack, Alf, Amazing Spider Man issues from the 1990s mostly, early 1990s Batman stuff Detective Comics and regular Batman series, John Byrne's 1987 Superman up to Death of Superman, Nightstalkers, X Men 2099, original Uncanny X Men which I bought issue 150 pretty cheap for 4 bucks from the comic shop and Im concentrating mostly on issues 245 to 308. I have the Marvel Essentials for Uncanny X Men # 95 up to 180something. THen I have Volumes 5 to 7 of the Marvel Essentials X Men.

So I have alot of catching up to do with old comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by noiseredux View Post
    as it happens, I read Spider-Man: Return Of The Sinister Six (1991) over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Totally recommend that one. On the flip, I also read Spider-Man: Torment (1990) a few months back... and didn't really enjoy it.
    I on the other hand did Loved how Todd McFarlane depicted the Lizard and Calypso in that one.
    Another one I read not that long ago was The New Fantastic Four: Monsters Unleashed (1991) that I thought was pretty cool. In it the actual FF are in peril and a new temporary team is assembled consisting of Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man and The Hulk.
    I'd love to see this happen in live-action in the Marvel Cinematic Universe post MCU Phase 3!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    How about the Kurt Busiek/George Perez run on Avengers. I thought this was THE best run on that book in the last quarter century.
    100% in agreement!

mark waid and one of the kuberts pumped out about 14 issues of ka-zar. he fought thanos. good stuff.

steven seagle's alpha flight was great through the first year. i have never in my life cared about alpha flight outside of his run.

joe kelly's deadpool is the best deadpool.

until the day i die i shall lament the loss of marvel universe, which lasted 7 issues. it was supposed to focus on the marvel universe prior to fantastic four #1 in 1961. the first three issues had the invaders, the last four featured the monster hunters. so much potential.

warren ellis' four-issue "not dead yet" run on wolverine is by far my favorite wolverine story.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I always have to give some love to the 90's Silver Surfer series. I loved the Jim Starlin/Ron Lim (32-50) and the Ron Marz/ Ron Lim (51-91) runs. Just amazing cosmic action and both writers really knew how to use the WHOLE cosmic side of the MCU, and Ron Lim drew one of the best Silver Surfers ever.

Another great cosmic series was Warlock and the Infinity Watch which sprang out of the Infinity Gauntlet event. That along with The Warlock Chronicles mini series just made it a great time to be a cosmic Marvel fan.

Astonishing Member

On the Spider-Man side, I would recommend Untold Tales of Spider-Man by Kurt Buriek. It's available as an omnibus if you can find it for decent prices.

I'll second Thunderbolts, Avenger by Busiek & Perez, ClanDestine, and Captain America by Waid & Garney.