Page 1 of 75 123451151 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Marvel Legacy: Hopes For/Concerns About

marvel_legacy_banner2.jpg

Solicitations for September should be arriving soon and that'll give us our first real glimpse of what the post-SE, Legacy era Marvel will look like.

Curious as to what people want to see from this and also what they hope not to see.

Number one for me as far as hopes would be the return of the Fantastic Four. I don't know if we'll see that immediately - I'm guessing that'll be the big reveal at the end of the Legacy one-shot - but I don't think Marvel can successfully do a "Legacy" branding and not have the FF come back. I could be wrong but I definitely think it would be an uphill battle.

As for who would be the FF's new creative team, I think it might be Jason Aaron as writer and Esad Ribic on art. I think Legacy might end up being essentially a stealth Zero issue for the relaunch of the FF.

I'm also hoping that The Avengers line gets a major overhaul. I've enjoyed Waid's Avengers run and I think the books in the Avengers line are all individually good books in and of themselves but I think the line needs to be reworked and refocused. There's no way the core Avengers title should be so low on the charts. Marvel may be able to juice up the Avengers and still keep Waid on (a more traditional artist on the book would help) but I think it might be time for new blood. Waid had the unfortunate handicap of coming on after Hickman's monumental run and so I think there was no choice at the time but to dial things back a bit.

At the same time, a dialed back Avengers just doesn't feel enough like the Avengers. Also, having the group operate out of anywhere but Avengers Mansion doesn't feel right. So whatever Marvel does with The Avengers in the Legacy era, I think they have to work to get the group back to the forefront of the MU. Part of that should involve paring down the Avengers line. It doesn't have to go down to just one book but I think anymore than two is pushing it. Slapping the Avengers name on too many titles has diluted the brand and Marvel needs to undo that.

I'm also really interested to see what's going to happen with Peter Parker in the Legacy era. One would expect that Parker Industries will inevitably end as Legacy begins but I don't know just how "back to basics" I want Spidey to be. While he might not remain a wealthy CEO, I also don't want to see Peter slide all the way back down to schlepping for photog work. One of the great strengths of Slott's ASM run has been his long game so I'm sure he's had his Legacy plans laid out for awhile - I'm just curious to see how things are going to shake out for Peter.

And I also hope that Ghost Rider and Moon Knight both get some kick-ass ongoings. The last volumes of both characters were disappointing. GR was an outright debacle, just a miserable miss. And MK was intriguing and had some real artistic merit but it was so devoid of actual superhero action that I feel like the character is due for a book that delivers on straight-up, street level crimefighting.

What I hope Legacy doesn't do is pander too much to nostalgia. Bringing back old favorites and getting back to basics in many ways is awesome but I also don't want things to be too retro. The X-Men relaunch has been fairly perfect in this regard in that it's got some definite old school flavor but yet it doesn't feel like it's backtracking and self-consciously retreading old ground. With Legacy, Marvel has to find the right mix of honoring the past and forging ahead to the future and based on how the X-line is going so far I feel like they can easily nail that proper balance.

We'll see. But I'm definitely excited to start seeing what Legacy is going to look like.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 06-19-2017 at 05:47 AM.

Based on sales numbers, I think we'll be saying goodbye to U.S.Avengers. Occupy Avengers was already missing from the August solicits. The core title needs a shakeup, you're right. But there's still one storyline from the coming this year teaser they haven't done: Avengers vs Champions. Uncanny Avengers is the safest, having already switched creative team, something they wouldn't have bothered doing if it was for the chopping block.

Based on those corner box heads there, there's gotta be something starring Ben Grimm. FF makes the most sense despite what Bleeding Cool claimed yesterday.

Spirits of Vengeance was trademarked recently, and Johnny Blaze has a corner box head, so I think we can expect a Blaze/Reyes Ghost Rider team-up book like the recently cancelled Nova one.

I agree with most of what you already said. I don't think we will find out about the FF in the September solicits, a book may be for October or November so that it can be revealed during SDCC which would be the best advertisement for it.

Something that I want to happen is a bit more behind the scenes. I want the creative teams on different books in the same franchise to communicate more, especially if two books share the same character. The MU is meant to be one cohesive universe and having a character or situation happen in one book to only have it contradicted in another is really jarring.

I also hope they bring back some old characters that were left to the wayside. Put them as supporting characters in some books.

My biggest worry is that all this superficial and nothing will change or improve. They said there will be no line-wide events for at least 18 months and they better stand by that.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-19-2017 at 06:12 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I agree with most of what you already said. I don't think we will find out about the FF in the September solicits, a book may be for October or November so that it can be revealed during SDCC which would be the best advertisement for it.
    Yeah, we're not going to see FF right out of the gate. But I think it will happen. Could be wrong but we'll see.

Bleeding cool seem to think we aren't getting the FF back anytime soon.......

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Bleeding cool seem to think we aren't getting the FF back anytime soon.......
    That I suspect is very much the case. We are only getting them back if Fox gives up the film rights which very well may happen in time, but until then they won't stop squeezing them.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    That I suspect is very much the case. We are only getting them back if Fox gives up the film rights which very well may happen in time, but until then they won't stop squeezing them.
    I read that if Fox dont do another FF movie before 2022 they will automatically revert back to Marvel. Given that the last movie was such a flop and the previous two movies didn't do well either they might not take the risk.

Astonishing Member

My over all worry is how any characters return if any. We shouldn't get them all back at once. EX Logan when he returns it should be a X-Men central event lead by Laura and when he dose retuen the need to kill of old man logan. Also have laura books renemed wolverine and continue with legacy number and have logans book named after himself. Then these nostalgia we cant loose all the legacy character's and the bc avengers story it will be good anything by aaron is gold but its not a story fans wanted...I keep geting thr feeling marves trying to make storyes they think we'll like and not what we want.

I will expect nothing... and still be disappointed.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Spectacular Member

Aside from wanting the FF back, my hopes are based around getting a classic, more fun traditional Avengers book - Cap/Thor/Tony/Jan/Carol/Vision/Wanda etc except maybe more diversity than that.

I want also Waid to leave Champions but I don't want the book to end, because I actually like the new diverse legacies and I don't want to see them get shoved back into the background or limbo for the old guard.

Also, selfishly, if we could get news on whether that one Vision solo that got leaked was a rumour or actually happening (please), that'd be great.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

My main concern is whether the books I enjoy are still enjoyable or not. Or any new books that I try are good or not. That's about it at this stage to be honest, I'm sure things will crop up between now-and-then that I'll add to concerns or hopes but for now that's about it.

I'm not much of a fan of stories involving alternate realities and time travel which is likely to happen in some of these stories.

I also believe that Generations and SE will end with a new reboot in Secret Wars style through the cosmic cube erasing some of the recent events and changing others bringing some dead characters back. Which would lead to a new heroic phase in the marvel.

The biggest challenge will be to make these stories relevant and with consequences as they promised. Technically, you can expect stories involving classic heroes and legacy characters in an emotional story with both interacting but how do you make it relevant without breaking laws of space time or without erasing everything with the cosmic cube?

There are only 4 titles I'm interested but what I expect are emotive stories or characters making peace like Kamala and Carol but nothing that will bring long-term consequences.

I'm concerned that the C-List and above characters will get the short end of the stick because they are going to focus on the movie IPs and their legacies. I never cared about Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Wolverine and their replacements (aside from Cho when he was Herc's partner) and I'm not going to care now just because they are bringing them back.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Well marvel doesn't have the film rights to the x-men yet they got eight new series with the resurrexion relaunch with new series like x-men blue and x-men gold, generation x, weapon x, cable, iceman, Jean grey, and astonishing x-men with the two continuing series of old man logan and all new wolverine combining the total x-men comic line to 10 titles/series.

Not to mention the fact that rogue a very well known x-men character is the leader of the uncanny avengers, and the fact that the x-men and mutants have a really important and significant role in secret empire yet much like the fantastic four marvel doesn't own their film rights soooo I don't get the whole because they don't own the film rights that they will not publish new comics from said comic book series they no longer own the film rights to argument.

For example another thing that's important to note is marvel doesn't own the deadpool film rights yet they still continue to publish his comics and he's featured very prominently in his own deadpool solo series and he has the spider man/deadpool duo series and was for quore awhile a member of the uncanny avengers yet he's also a character marvel doesn't own the film rights to yet they continue to publish his comics and he's even got a very important role in secret empire.

Lastly I don't think the fantastic four are being forgotten bendis has been making a lot of refrences to the fantastic four in his amazing infamous iron man series not to mention that the series centers on a lot of fantastic four characters like victor von doom, and Ben Grimm, and ultimate reed richards, and Johnny Storm will be making a apperance in the next issue actually, the events of secret wars were even brought up in the series so they're not being forgotten, also Peter Parker is currently using the Baxter building as his main headquarters for not just Parker industries but for the avengers as of now and he even had a statue build in the building in tribute to his old friends in the fantastic four, lastly Johnny Storm is still a member of the uncanny avengers currently.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 06-19-2017 at 07:36 AM.

I want less multiples of same "characters". If you want to replace Steve Rogers with Sam Wilson then just do it and lets move on. I don't think that current approach is working (fans of "original" think that he is slowly getting pushed aside while fans of replacement think that Marvel isn't committing to new character fully therefore it can't shine as well as it should) and if we look at DC we can see that GL and Flash fanbases are constantly fighting over who should be "main one". So while it might look cool that fans of both characters can get an ongoing I think that long term it is going to hurt the franchise and create, smaller or bigger, splits in fanbase.

So my one wish would be that with Legacy we get 1 Hulk book, 1 Captain America book, 1 Iron Man book and so on.