Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Archie Comics To Relaunch Red Circle as Dark Circle in 2015

Archie Comics will relaunch its superhero line with the new Dark Circle banner under the watch of editor and senior VP of marketing Alex Segura.

Full article here.

I remember reading this way back in the 80's in CBG and was excited then.

Black Hood, the Hangman, the Shield, the Comet, the Fly...

Looking forward to finding out more.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

BANNED

so i guess this means We are never getting new crusaders: dark tomorrow huh?

I'd like to see New Crusaders return. There were talks that they were going to go even deeper after the initial arc and go with a less "cartoony" art style.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

The naming makes it sound like A Dark Horse relaunch of Red Circle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    I remember reading this way back in the 80's in CBG and was excited then.

Black Hood, the Hangman, the Shield, the Comet, the Fly...

Looking forward to finding out more.

100% agree! Can't wait!!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I'd like to see New Crusaders return. There were talks that they were going to go even deeper after the initial arc and go with a less "cartoony" art style.
    the thing is.....The New Crusaders were suppose to be an all ages superhero comic and this goes against that i understand the success of stuff like afterlife with archie leading to chilling adventures of sabrina but does archie really need to turn the red circle line into a bunch of grimdark depressing stories when all age superhero books could work just as well especially since it gives the kids something fun to read and enjoy

Dark Tomorrow had already been announced and they dropped that....

Archie seems to be forgetting the kids these days.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    the thing is.....The New Crusaders were suppose to be an all ages superhero comic and this goes against that i understand the success of stuff like afterlife with archie leading to chilling adventures of sabrina but does archie really need to turn the red circle line into a bunch of grimdark depressing stories when all age superhero books could work just as well especially since it gives the kids something fun to read and enjoy

Dark Tomorrow had already been announced and they dropped that....
    People want to worry about kids-I hate to tell you all this I can find worst in your child's school library. I work in the school system and Archie Afterlife is TAME compared to some of the book I have seen placed for kids above the age of say 10.

This to me seems more like lets follow the steps of Kaboom, Valiant & IDW and go after the fans that DC has chased off and have no interest in getting back.

Remember Archie has a movie and new tv series in the works-add in the fact you can actually find his stuff in everywhere (unlike the others). This is about expanding and not worrying about the big boys. You are going after everybody else.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Archie seems to be forgetting the kids these days.
    It's not they have forgotten about kids but their competition has gotten a hold of them.

You are battling Regular Show, Power Puff Girls, Peanuts and others who have been active in movies, tv and merchandise for years. Kids know who they are. Most have no idea who Archie is. So they have to do something to get readers. If this work they can used this line to get new readers for Archie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    People want to worry about kids-I hate to tell you all this I can find worst in your child's school library. I work in the school system and Archie Afterlife is TAME compared to some of the book I have seen placed for kids above the age of say 10.

This to me seems more like lets follow the steps of Kaboom, Valiant & IDW and go after the fans that DC has chased off and have no interest in getting back.

Remember Archie has a movie and new tv series in the works-add in the fact you can actually find his stuff in everywhere (unlike the others). This is about expanding and not worrying about the big boys. You are going after everybody else.

I'm not worrying about kids I'm just saying what happens to the people that were working on new crusaders what happens to dark tomorrow? does it just never see the light of day?

I Liked some of those characters and think it would suck if we never saw them ever again....by the end of the first mini it was starting to get good and that's when they decided to scrap things and start over...AGAIN!!

I'm going to repost a comment I made in regards to similar accusations regarding Afterlife with Archie and Dark Sabrina.

The most important aspect that you're forgetting is that Afterlife and Dark Sabrina are being made....WHILE THE PRIME ARCHIE STUFF IS STILL BEING MADE AS WELL.

It's the equivalent of the Disney Afternoon having the likes of Darkwing Duck, Timon & Pumbaa and Goof Troop alongside Gargoyles. Now if they did cancel everything else solely to focus on Afterlife and Dark Sabrina, then yes, there would be problems.

But as it is, it's simply Archie Comics expanding their repertoire and possibly even reaching out to their audiences that have grown up with them over the years. Afterlife apparently has been selling extremely well, so there you go.

The New Crusaders were originally intended for teenagers and up, not kids. The book had swearing in it. Dark Circle just seems to be the next step. I just hope the crusaders are coming back, Archie isn't spiraling to grimdark land, they are still making all ages books in addition to afterlife and dark circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    "All Ages" doesn't necessarily mean "Just for kids." The New Crusaders was really a PG-rated book, as it did have violent content (by issue #6 it had a fairly high body count). What the book didn't have was a lot of graphic language or sensuality.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The New Crusaders were originally intended for teenagers and up, not kids. The book had swearing in it. Dark Circle just seems to be the next step. I just hope the crusaders are coming back, Archie isn't spiraling to grimdark land, they are still making all ages books in addition to afterlife and dark circle.
    The Writer Himself Saw It As An All Ages Book Done Right...and to my knowledge the book didn't have any words that were any worse than what You'd find On Any PG Rated Cartoon(Like Adventure Time Or Regular Show) or better yet any saturday morning superhero toons of the 90's Like Batman TAS Spider-Man TAS

Dark Tomorrow had already been Written and I just wanna know what's gonna happen to those issues...will they be destroyed or locked away or what?