View Poll Results: Who is the ultimate X-Trinity ?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wolverine

128 79.01%
  • Cyclops

129 79.63%
  • Storm

87 53.70%
  • Jean Grey

74 45.68%
  • Rogue

29 17.90%
  • Nightcrawler

16 9.88%
  • Beast

5 3.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: X-Men trinity

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    I still voted for Storm, Rogue, and Jean. I know this is just my opinion, but I fee like the X-men at their core are greatest when the women shine, and as a child in the 90's no characters shined brighter for me than these three. I remember the other characters existing in the cartoon but not who they were or what they did (maybe Gambit). Storm, Rogue, and Jean are the trinity. They're icons.
    I completely agree with this. Though wolverine is most popular and recognizable, what I think was the big draw to the xmen during the height of their popularity were the women powerhouses which include Rogue, Jean, and Storm (all for different reasons).

Jean loses points for that love triangle business.

Any Trinity idea really only works when the three involved are platonic equals, with two of them repping the polar opposites and the third being the middle path / blend of the two.

That's why I'm now violently opposed to both the Bats/WW and the Supes/WW 'ships. WW is the loser in both of those scenarios.

Here, Cyclops is the noble stalwart. Wolverine is the badass rebel. Storm is the noble rebel / badass stalwart.

Scott, Logan, and Ororo for the X-Men Trinity as "students".

Professor X, Magneto, and Cable for the X-Men Trinity of "teachers".
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-20-2017 at 10:56 AM.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

There is no "modern" trinity.

Timelessness is an essential, qualifying element.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I don't think the idea of a trinity works for the X-books. I associate the term with solo heroes who come together to form a team; Iron Man, Cap, and Thor for the Avengers, and Supes, Batman, and WW for JL would be trinities. The X-Men are and have always been a team based book with a few exceptions. If, however, you're just asking for the three most popular X-Men it would probably be Wolvie, Cyke, and either Jean or Storm.

Loving this thread.

I said it before and I say it again.

The Weapon:Wolverine
    The Soldier:Cyclops
    The God(dess): Storm

The Strongest one there is:Jean

Cyclops,Storm,Wolverine are the true Xmen Trinity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    Loving this thread.

I think Jean's evolution from 'Scott's girlfriend' to 'Phoenix, eater of planets' kind of holds her back from Trinity status. Due to bad writing of female characters when she was introduced (every woman had to be someone's girlfriend, or otherwise defined by their relationship to men), she came off as more of a prop to Scott than a fully realized character of her own. Making up a love triangle with Wolverine only further diminished her as an individual, as she was now defined by her relationships to *two* men. And then there was the Phoenix stuff. Moral of the story? Give a woman power like that of Thor, and she has to be stripped of that power for the good of herself and everyone else, because women can't handle power. Oh, retcon, it wasn't her, it was Xorn pretending to be Magneto (scrap that, Phoenix Force pretending to be Jean!), so her most memorable story *wasn't even her story anyway!*

Jean, unfortunately, has either been utterly absent from her own story (sleeping with the fishes, literally), or a trophy to be fought over by Scott and Logan.

Storm, on the other hand, has been a powerful woman with agency. She's had some relationships with men, X and otherwise, but they've never defined her, and, in some cases (such as with Forge) had more affect on the *man's* role than on her own.

It may also be a point in Storm's favor that she's been stripped of her powers, *and remained a viable character and X-Man.*

According to Byrne or Claremont or someone, in an interview in the Death of Phoenix variant special, Jean, to be stripped of her powers before Shooter demanded her death, was intended to become 'Scott's wife, as important a character as the left rear wheel of the Blackbird.' That's super-insulting, but, unfortunately, true to the lack of agency she'd been given over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I don't think the idea of a trinity works for the X-books. I associate the term with solo heroes who come together to form a team; Iron Man, Cap, and Thor for the Avengers, and Supes, Batman, and WW for JL would be trinities. The X-Men are and have always been a team based book with a few exceptions. If, however, you're just asking for the three most popular X-Men it would probably be Wolvie, Cyke, and either Jean or Storm.
    I'm mostly seeing it as the three X-Men who did the most for mutant kind.

Not counting Mags and Xavier.

If we make a Marvel trinity, I think it should be Spider-Man, Cap and Hulk. Iron Man took Hulk's place since the MCU.

I do think that Marvel has a better team trinity. X-Men, F4 and Avengers.
    Last edited by Magneto; 06-20-2017 at 11:24 AM.

For me the Ultimate X-Trinity is Jean-Storm-Rogue. The ladies for the win.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    I'm mostly seeing it as the three X-Men who did the most for mutant kind.

Not counting Mags and Xavier.

If we make a Marvel trinity, I think it should be Spider-Man, Cap and Hulk. Iron Man took Hulk's place since the MCU.

I do think that Marvel has a better team trinity. X-Men, F4 and Avengers.
    Spider-man, Wolverine, Deadpool - true Marvel trinity
    they have more books than Cap America or Iron Man

jen:
    For me the Ultimate X-Trinity is Jean-Storm-Rogue. The ladies for the win.
    You are the best

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I think Jean's evolution from 'Scott's girlfriend' to 'Phoenix, eater of planets' kind of holds her back from Trinity status. Due to bad writing of female characters when she was introduced (every woman had to be someone's girlfriend, or otherwise defined by their relationship to men), she came off as more of a prop to Scott than a fully realized character of her own. Making up a love triangle with Wolverine only further diminished her as an individual, as she was now defined by her relationships to *two* men. And then there was the Phoenix stuff. Moral of the story? Give a woman power like that of Thor, and she has to be stripped of that power for the good of herself and everyone else, because women can't handle power. Oh, retcon, it wasn't her, it was Xorn pretending to be Magneto (scrap that, Phoenix Force pretending to be Jean!), so her most memorable story *wasn't even her story anyway!*

Jean, unfortunately, has either been utterly absent from her own story (sleeping with the fishes, literally), or a trophy to be fought over by Scott and Logan.

Storm, on the other hand, has been a powerful woman with agency. She's had some relationships with men, X and otherwise, but they've never defined her, and, in some cases (such as with Forge) had more affect on the *man's* role than on her own.

It may also be a point in Storm's favor that she's been stripped of her powers, *and remained a viable character and X-Man.*

According to Byrne or Claremont or someone, in an interview in the Death of Phoenix variant special, Jean, to be stripped of her powers before Shooter demanded her death, was intended to become 'Scott's wife, as important a character as the left rear wheel of the Blackbird.' That's super-insulting, but, unfortunately, true to the lack of agency she'd been given over the years.
    beautiful points. some of the many reasons why I love storm.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    Loving this thread.

Interesting Avengers comparison. Fairly accurate too.

The Boy Scout - Cyclops
    The Wild Card - Wolverine
    The Balance - Storm

The funny thing is that all 3 have acquired each other's basic traits, from time to time.

IMG_0803.jpg

Like the others, it depends on criteria used. If it's most popular all around, that's easy. If it's the glue that holds them together, that's harder.

I've seen eras where it was more heart than cojones, and then, in more recent times, where it was all cojones and little to no heart. I think the X-Men became top dogs during the former years, and lost that status in the latter, so I voted for the characters that represent strength, drive and heart.

Attached Images Attached Images