Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default "The Greatest Action Game" of all time is...........

Resident Evil 4

Phenomenal pacing, encounter design, gun mechanics etc everything about this game is perfectly design, it's superior to pretty much any game in it's genre that has came out since.It is by far the best action game of all time, and the "Father of the Third Person Shooter"

do you agree or disagree?
    Last edited by Random4; 06-24-2017 at 02:51 PM.

That's a good pick. RE4 is fantastic, especially the Wii edition. The series never quite hit that mark again, but that might be because they didn't have Shinji Mikami on board anymore. Every action game he works on turn out awesome, him and Hideki Kamiya basically are action gaming in Japan.

BANNED

It's definitely not the father of the 3rd person shooter. Those things had been around since the Commodore 64.

I liked RE4, but I liked RE1&2 so much more...
    I certainly never fealt the inclination to replay RE4, TPS games like Mass Effect Any, Punisher (PS2), Dead Space 1&2 (much better horror games too) but not 3...

Of all the games that use the RE4 style, my favorite is Shadows of the Damned. I'm not sure it has the wide appeal that RE4 had though, it was a bit weird. It was a lot weird actually, but that's normal for SUDA51.

Personally, I'd give it to Goldeneye or Half-Life 2.

But RE4 is a very, very strong 3rd place.

At least we acknowledge its not a survival horror.

But there have been a million 3rd person shooter games before RE4, so its definitely NOT the father of that sub-genre.
    Life is but a dream

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's definitely not the father of the 3rd person shooter. Those things had been around since the Commodore 64.
    Every third person shooter since RE4 has used it's over the shoulder camera.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Every third person shooter since RE4 has used it's over the shoulder camera.
    So maybe it's the father of over the shoulder camera, not the TPS? Although you'd have to first show how RE4 was the very first game ever to do this.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

So maybe it's the father of over the shoulder camera, not the TPS? Although you'd have to first show how RE4 was the very first game ever to do this.
    Look at third shooters that pre-date RE4 like Max Payne

It was common for the camera to be facing the character's back from afar.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post

Resident Evil 4

Phenomenal pacing, encounter design, gun mechanics etc everything about this game is perfectly design, it's superior to pretty much any game in it's genre that has came out since.It is by far the best action game of all time, and the "Father of the Third Person Shooter"

do you agree or disagree?

Ehhhh. Best third person shooter, maybe, though as someone who isn't really all that into that sub-genre (my favorite 3PS is probably Danganronpa Another: Ultra Despair Girls, and that's because I love the setting, story, characters, and pop-art style rather than the admittedly only okay 3PS elements), I'd say that the best "action" game would be something like Okami, NieR: Automata, Odin Sphere: Lieftrhrasir, etc... since I tend to prefer Action RPGs.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 07-02-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Fantastic Member

One of the most significant and influential games of all time and the most significant and influential game on PC.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    One of the most significant and influential games of all time and the most significant and influential game on PC.
    Worst third-person-shooter ever.

Fantastic Member

The thread title is "greatest action game" and not "greatest third-person-shooter".

BANNED

It's not the father of that either. First time I ever remember seeing the over-the-shoulder camera during aiming was in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell back in 2002, and that's three years before Resident Evil 4. But RE4 is the reason Gears of War does it, and Gears is basically why everyone else did it.

As for best action game, I'll have to think it over a bit.

BANNED

there was a game called Kill Switch that pioneered the over the shoulder/cover mechanic

this is a tough question to answer

as the greatest "action" game - Id have to say either Uncharted or the Call Of Duty series

its like playing a big budget action movie

BANNED

Not while the Mass Effect games and Naughty Dog's third person shooters are things.