Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Are you serious? Satan? Peter losing a part of his soul? Mephisto won? I don't know what you've been reading, but it's definitely not been ANY Spider-Man comics, because neither of those things happened in OMD. I don't like the story, but it wasn't some great loss or whatever that overshadows everything else. Once again, you people are letting your religious beliefs dictate what you want your stories to be like, and I'm glad Marvel isn't trying to make this about religion. I understand why people want OMD to be undone, because it represents one of the greatest regressions of the character (which have become something of a theme in Spidey comics since - the latest regression being this upcoming Fall of Parker storyline) but let's not confuse story faults with ideological disagreements please. Comics are here to appeal to all audiences, not just to Christians.
    Your assuming I'm religious and a Christian...which I'm not.
    Mephisto is Marvel's Lucifer/Satan,that's a fact...and Peter made a deal with evil! Peter went against himself and everything he purports to stand for and believe in, just in order to achieve his own selfish and self centered desire to save an old woman who wanted him to let her go so she could be with Uncle Ben!

BANNED

I don't see how marvel would promote this as a big solo hero story arc for one of the a list and popular heroes and actually convince themselves this respects the hell out of them. Spider-Man is the only mainstream hero who's goes through urgent changes in the most self destructive, regressive and sour note way, while heroes like Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Iron Man, The Flash, even Deadpool himself get improvement and nifty new ideas added to them that lets their lore expand, their lives progress, and they become more outlandish but entertaining to read. Spidey is the only hero I know who gets hyped up in his arcs just returning back to web slinging new York skyscrapers in his classic outfit....... again or prior to pi returning from the dead or brain limbo
    ......again.

It's gotten so extreme with nostalgia its boring and cliche at this point. Spidey never has fun trying new stuff anymore for long.

I will never accept RYV because that's an already done concept with a more original legacy character from peter.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 06-24-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Photojounralism of the kind Peter Parker would do at the Bugle is a pretty decent career choice. I think people underestimate the ability to be respected, full time work and just see it as an 'easy part time gig for a guy just starting out or a teenager'.

I think the real issue is that so much has been made of Peter's intellect that it seems to some like his talents are 'wasted' doing photojournalism.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    I don't see how marvel would promote this as a big solo hero story arc for one of the a list and popular heroes and actually convince themselves this respects the hell out of them. Spider-Man is the only mainstream hero who's goes through urgent changes in the most self destructive, regressive and sour note way, while heroes like Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Iron Man, The Flash, even Deadpool himself get improvement and nifty new ideas added to them that lets their lore expand, their lives progress, and they become more outlandish but entertaining to read.
    Oh God, are you fu*king kidding with this?

Superman's most famous storyline is the one where he gets beaten to death in the middle of the street.

Batman got his back broken and ended up in a wheelchair.

Wolverine is currently an adamantium-covered corpse statue.

Iron Man is currently in a coma. And let's not forget that one of the key storyline for him is Demon In a Bottle where we find out he's a drunk.

The Barry Allen Flash famously died in crisis and stayed that way for years. And Wally has suffered his share of setbacks over the years, like when he thought his fiancee Linda had been killed.

And Deadpool...when do things ever go right for Deadpool?! Even when he gets his dream job as an Avenger it all eventually goes sour. He's currently working for Hydra Cap and has Coulson's blood on his hands.

Spidey is the only hero I know who gets hyped up in his arcs just returning back to web slinging new York skyscrapers in his classic outfit....... again or prior to pi returning from the dead or brain limbo
    ......again.
    That's like saying "Ugh! No matter what happens to Superman, he always goes back to flying around Metropolis!"

Sorry, but Spidey web-swinging around NYC is always going to be a thing.

It's gotten so extreme with nostalgia its boring and cliche at this point. Spidey never has fun trying new stuff anymore for long.
    Maybe wait and see what this storyline is and what it leads to before making too many assumptions about it. Just saying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Photojounralism of the kind Peter Parker would do at the Bugle is a pretty decent career choice. I think people underestimate the ability to be respected, full time work and just see it as an 'easy part time gig for a guy just starting out or a teenager'.

I think the real issue is that so much has been made of Peter's intellect that it seems to some like his talents are 'wasted' doing photojournalism.
    I think it's more that newspapers aren't as central to the culture as they were and they don't want to tie Peter to something that few young people see as relevant to their lives.

BANNED

The concept of photography is getting pointless(in today's modern world) to Peter and its an understatement to say he wasting his talents for a guy who invented a cosmic cube in his basement.

Plus he's always been hyped as a natural born scientist by his aunt and mj.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Oh god, photojournalism is the worst possible career choice for Peter. Anyways, Peter's genius intelligence came significantly before photojournalism was tied to the character at all, so I think the real problem is that Peter was stuck in that job for so long that some people think he should stay there.

Oh god, photojournalism is the worst possible career choice for Peter. Anyways, Peter's genius intelligence came significantly before photojournalism was tied to the character at all, so I think the real problem is that Peter was stuck in that job for so long that some people think he should stay there.
    Well, he's had it for decades and developed a strong supporting cast and storylines out of it, so it must have worked on some level .

On-top of it being a factor in most major Spider-media.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, he's had it for decades and developed a strong supporting cast and storylines out of it, so it must have worked on some level .

On-top of it being a factor in most major Spider-media.
    Yeah, I think the supporting cast is the only good thing about that job. But that still isn't a reason why Peter should be forcibly kept doing photojournalism, since he can interact with all those great characters without actually working with them.

Yeah, I think the supporting cast is the only good thing about that job. But that still isn't a reason why Peter should be forcibly kept doing photojournalism, since he can interact with all those great characters without actually working with them.
    But given that he hasn't really had that to any significant degree in the past few years (Jonah aside)...

I don't think Peter should be forcibly kept in that career, but I don't see why it can't be something he still does.

Incredible Member

Well Peter Parker has had many occupations throughout his life:

-Freelance Photographer

-Superhero Mercenary (got paid to go help Silver Sable on her missions)

-High School Teacher (he should be a college professor. Bigger salary, more respectable, great use of his intellect, resources at his disposal).

-Scientific Engineer (Horizon and that other lab job in the Mackie era).

-CEO (the most uncharacteristic of him since never in his entire history has he ever had any business management experience and it was SpOck who created Parker Industries).

Should Parker Industries fall, and let's face it, its clearly being set up, then should Peter return to an old occupation they should handle it in a different manner.

I have this suspicion that despite PI's fall, that maybe Peter will be able to salvage whatever he can from his company to start something new. Maybe a science program or a smaller private firm. That would be cool.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    Well Peter Parker has had many occupations throughout his life:

-Freelance Photographer

-Superhero Mercenary (got paid to go help Silver Sable on her missions)

-High School Teacher (he should be a college professor. Bigger salary, more respectable, great use of his intellect, resources at his disposal).

-Scientific Engineer (Horizon and that other lab job in the Mackie era).

-CEO (the most uncharacteristic of him since never in his entire history has he ever had any business management experience and it was SpOck who created Parker Industries).

Should Parker Industries fall, and let's face it, its clearly being set up, then should Peter return to an old occupation they should handle it in a different manner.

I have this suspicion that despite PI's fall, that maybe Peter will be able to salvage whatever he can from his company to start something new. Maybe a science program or a smaller private firm. That would be cool.
    The thing is - peters occupation can really be anything as long as it

Is based primarily in New York - too much travel risks outing him, especially in s visible role

Allows freedom from a rigid schedule - no 9 to 5 grinds

Is performance based - Pete can be the weirdo with a camera, but folks roll with it

Is satisfying enough - fans have to perceive their hero is happy; he could drive a cab and meet these criteria; make a god living , etc - folks would revolt. Status sucks, but matters

It's understandable - simple enough to explain, interesting enough to care

Additionally -

Folks want him to have a certain outside experience, and that overlaps with his other life - science, photography, ceo - these have always overlapped with spiderman; from The jackal being prof warren, Norman being GG, etc

A solitary position that leveraged his big brain but worked remote or buried him in a lab would fail

Because he is isolated from magically crossing paths in a massive city with damn near every villian that put a costume on to fight him ... That would be like winning the lottery, while getting a booty call from Jennifer Lawrence, then being hit by lightning while driving 120mph to get to the hotel.

Thought him working for himself is awesome - but multi national CEO is too much;

Hell if money is an issue; have him inherit a windfall from May.

The house, maybe she bought Google or Apple Stock... Or GE , pharmacies Wells Fargo back when it was founded Her death could trigger a note from uncle Ben to Peter.

These are shit ideas, but the point is Pete can do anything

BANNED

My main thing about Peter's job is that he has to allow him to be Spider-Man. Being a photo journalist worked because it makes him go to interesting places and get exclusive pictures for doing things he would do anyway(namely, stopping the Shocker from robbing a bank, or calming down the Lizard running loose downtown, etc). He cant be stuck at a teacher's desk in a school, full-time. It separates the Peter side from the Spider-Man side too drastically, and its the balance between the two that powers his stories.

I really liked Horizon, for whats its worth. Supporting cast werent a patch on Robbie/Brant/Jonah/etc, but it utilized Peter's intellect in a way the Bugle didn't, and it was a natural story engine for Spider-Man since Horizon is always getting into crazy shit. And, like the Bugle, its not a full-time job, so he's not locked in there for 8-10 hours a day while cool Spider-Man stuff could be happening instead.

I'd love to see Peter get back into high school teaching. That was the only genius idea JMS had in his run and it was a logical outgrowth of who Peter was and had become as an adult. Instead, OMD gave us a man-child who went from living with his elderly aunt again to being Tony Stark Lite.

Put Pete in a rundown apartment, teaching high school science, and rebuild his supporting cast. He can take pics at the Bugle for extra money (as a teacher myself, I know he'll need it) and make a real difference as Peter while still making a difference as Spidey.

Fantastic Member

A high school teacher that disappears randomly on a daily basis, how did that even work ?