Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman: The Movie: 40th anniversary ideas

What do you think DC/Warner Brothers will do to celebrate one of the most important superhero films ever made? A tie in Comic series? New Blu-Ray set? A new line of Funko Pops? Will they even do anything?

Speculate here!

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

They will officially announce Man of Steel 2 or reveal that the name for the MoS sequel is going to be called Superman with some backthrows to the original.

Unless they break the pattern, they'll sit on their butts and squander it like they did the last big anniversary...

...then make a huge Batman announcement the year after. 'Cause, you know, WB priorities.

What I'd love to see? Them finally approving Jim Bowers's coffee table book on S:TM and maybe a 4k release?

3-D and in theaters would be cool, too (they did it for "Top Gun" after all).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Unless they break the pattern, they'll sit on their butts and squander it like they did the last big anniversary...

...then make a huge Batman announcement the year after. 'Cause, you know, WB priorities.

What I'd love to see? Them finally approving Jim Bowers's coffee table book on S:TM and maybe a 4k release?

3-D and in theaters would be cool, too (they did it for "Top Gun" after all).
    I highly doubt that anything other than this is what's going to happen.

WB has done everything it can to distance itself from the Donner/Reeve films, with Snyder saying the only reason anyone "clings"to these movies is because of "nostalgia" and that they are not as faithful to the comics as "his movies." Meanwhile, WB has continually pushed back on Jim Bowers excellent work and will likely never allow it to see the light of day.

The S:TM 40th will be almost as crappy a celebration on WB's part as Superman's 75th was. Yet one more reason I refuse to give them any money for their so-called "DC movies."

Incredible Member

Yeah, I can't imagine them doing anything too big, but I'd love to be wrong on this. A remastered Bluray and a great "Making of..." book would do wonders for me. Less like the Jim Bowers photo thing (although I do hope that comes out, was just looking into it the other night in fact) and more like that excellent one they had for Batman '66 last year.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I would love a 4k release of the original film in three cuts, the original theatrical cut, the 2001 special edition, and at last, an official release of the 3 hour expanded ABC tv cut , complete will all previous special features, a few new extras etc.

But, as JAK said...I seriously doubt we will get anything but a repackaged version of the previous Blu-ray, some mention on DC All Access, and then in 2019 the Burton 89 Batman will get all the glory for the 30 the anniversary... Because Batman!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

Crashing back down to reality for a moment, this'll probably be the case. Sometimes, I wonder if we shouldn't​ just accept WB's Bat-obsession...
    Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 06-20-2017 at 02:53 AM.

Incredible Member

What I would like is a tight cut that folds the Donner Superman II (maybe with a few of Lester's better takes like "Care to step outside, General?") with the first movie. The Donner cut of II doesn't flow from the first movie's ending. It was meant as one movie at one point.

And the cutting is too slow/extravagant to show modern kids without boring them.

I want Superman 1 and 2 (using both 2's) cut as one film that has a runtime of no more than 2 hours. And I think you can justifiably call that the Writer's Cut since Puzzo wrote it as one movie and screenwriters expect scenes to get trimmed for runtime. The proper Screenplay-based cut would be a 2 hour-ish movie that starts with Krypton, has Pa die, and ends with an arctic showdown and then Superman goes back in time to restore his secret identity. (Note: There were at least a couple of scenes from 3 that were from Puzzo's screenplay for the first movie as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    What I would like is a tight cut that folds the Donner Superman II (maybe with a few of Lester's better takes like "Care to step outside, General?") with the first movie. The Donner cut of II doesn't flow from the first movie's ending. It was meant as one movie at one point.

And the cutting is too slow/extravagant to show modern kids without boring them.

I want Superman 1 and 2 (using both 2's) cut as one film that has a runtime of no more than 2 hours. And I think you can justifiably call that the Writer's Cut since Puzzo wrote it as one movie and screenwriters expect scenes to get trimmed for runtime. The proper Screenplay-based cut would be a 2 hour-ish movie that starts with Krypton, has Pa die, and ends with an arctic showdown and then Superman goes back in time to restore his secret identity. (Note: There were at least a couple of scenes from 3 that were from Puzzo's screenplay for the first movie as well.)
    This would be a good idea, too - I'd say 2&1/2 hours, but still. Basic idea is great.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Patrick, there are a number of fan edits that accomplish just what you describe. Have you ever seen them?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Sadly, I don't think they'll do much of anything. For one thing, the DCEU is their new priority now so if they do anything at all, it will be a new re-release of stuff that they've probably already put out before but with fancy packaging and not much else. Note that will also be Superman's 80th anniversary too so anything that they do will tie into that. Of course if the 75th was any indicator, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Maybe we'll get another cool little animated short? Who knows. Considering what a hard time they are having selling the DCEU, I doubt it's on their radar anyway.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Sadly, I don't think they'll do much of anything. For one thing, the DCEU is their new priority now so if they do anything at all, it will be a new re-release of stuff that they've probably already put out before but with fancy packaging and not much else. Note that will also be Superman's 80th anniversary too so anything that they do will tie into that. Of course if the 75th was any indicator, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Maybe we'll get another cool little animated short? Who knows. Considering what a hard time they are having selling the DCEU, I doubt it's on their radar anyway.
    As long as they do Action #1000 justice, I'll be happy. That's the most important celebration of the 80th anniversary, IMO.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    Patrick, there are a number of fan edits that accomplish just what you describe. Have you ever seen them?
    Nah. I tend to make my own for private viewing. I did a Superman Returns that removes the kid. Not really that familiar with other people's fan edits.

Nah. I tend to make my own for private viewing. I did a Superman Returns that removes the kid. Not really that familiar with other people's fan edits.
    I'd love to see such an edit, as I otherwise really enjoy Superman Returns.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Incredible Member

How does the story work without the kid in it?