Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I'm not sure them dating would lead to boost in sales, unless they do something like Superman Reborn which would lead to a slight bump. If they had them get married, that would lead to a boost in sales, but I'm not sure for how long that would last.

Maintaining sales has changed over the years. Supergirl, Aquaman, and Green Arrow are also in the 20k range.

These days maintaining sales is like catching lightning in a bottle. Johns on Green Lantern, Snyder on Batman, Conner & Palmiotti on Harley Quinn. That's what Batgirl needs to consistently sell well.
    Yeah, all true.
    Any name suggestions (besides Snyder/Capullo!)?

DickxBabs is not ClarkXLois, even if they end up in a relationship it is probably forced upon by editorial for Seeley, The animated movies have DickxKori and potentially the live action show. Maybe the movie universe will have that but the TV show will be out before then. Honestly it is Oracle that needs to be focused on and not a ship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
    Yeah, all true.
    Any name suggestions (besides Snyder/Capullo!)?
    I was just joking about Snyder and Capullo, although their name recognition would lead to a bump in sales.

There are lots of writers I'd like to give Batgirl a try, right now Marjorie Liu, and Mariko Tamaki top the list, but I have no idea whether they would bring anything to Batgirl that would lead to a sales bump.

There's just no real way to tell who can make a book a consistent seller until they've actually done it. If in 2010 I had been told that Scott Snyder would have Batman selling over 100k per issue, topping even Morrison's run, I'd never have believed it but that's what he did.

That's why I say that if we're looking for a big increase in sales, and for those sales to be maintained, DC should let Larson keep Batgirl for now while they find an appropriate successor. And at the very least, the book is going to need to be relaunched.

Part of me still thinks that if the Burnside run had been launched with a new #1, didn't have the Convergence break, and Babs Tarr was given enough time so there wouldn't be the need for fill-in artists, that the Burnside run could have been to Batgirl what Conner & Palmiotti have been to Harley Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    DickxBabs is not ClarkXLois, even if they end up in a relationship it is probably forced upon by editorial for Seeley, The animated movies have DickxKori and potentially the live action show. Maybe the movie universe will have that but the TV show will be out before then. Honestly it is Oracle that needs to be focused on and not a ship.
    Even if Batgirl and Nightwing do enter a relationship, I doubt it would last. Especially due to the fact that in the animated movies and new Titans Tv show, Dick and Kory will most likely be a thing - meaning casual fans will more likely view Starfire as Dicks main love interest.

BANNED

DickxBabs is not ClarkXLois, even if they end up in a relationship it is probably forced upon by editorial for Seeley, The animated movies have DickxKori and potentially the live action show. Maybe the movie universe will have that but the TV show will be out before then.
    I don't think reestablishing the relationship itself would lead to an increase in sales, but if they heavily tied it into the Rebirth mystery, had Batgirl crossover with Nightwing, it would lead a slight bump in sales. Marrying them would lead to another increase in sales because the marriage issue would be a landmark issue, a significant event in the character's histories.

I don't think either bump would last long though.

Honestly it is Oracle that needs to be focused on and not a ship.
    Getting rid of Barbara as Oracle was a mistake, but going back to it now isn't going to help sales.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

She needs to be matured more and become more the more familiar Barbara. Oracle can't comeback (no matter how much we wish otherwise), DC definitely won't allow it, so a more mature familiar Batgirl is the best or next best thing.

(and you continue to keep her Killing Joker/Oracle history in canon, to use for flashbacks and such)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yeah, I guess the book is in trouble . . . it's the only regular Bat-book I still buy regularly.
    (That and Gotham Academy, which is ending its current run soon.)

Can't stand what DC has done to Batman and to Nightwing under Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Then bring someone on-board that has a new and unique vision. I don't see dredging up the past helping the book in the sales department longterm.
    I wouldn't be for dredging up the past, but I think showing more respect to it (ala the Bensons in Birds of Prey) would be good for the character overall, and I don't mean bringing up the Killing Joke ever month or so.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't be for dredging up the past, but I think showing more respect to it (ala the Bensons in Birds of Prey) would be good for the character overall, and I don't mean bringing up the Killing Joke ever month or so.
    Respecting it is a major boon if you do it right, and I'd argue they need to get even more into the appeal of an older Babsgirl; play up her experience even more, and "book" her as a major power player in the family, not as a junior member. And maybe handle the Oracle legacy a bit better; I don't think anyone really cares about the new Oracle, so maybe replace him with Proxy, have Babs's own skills as Oracle heavily reintegrated into her MO, and give her a clear mentorship role over Cass and Steph.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

discard the burnside look. it's too twee for a woman like babs. make her look appropriate to her character.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Heck yeah, I think it's time for a change. I wasn't a fan of Simone's run but I loathe Burnside because I think it took things to far in the opposite direction in its attempt at getting away from the grim grittiness of Simone's run. What would work for me is a book that takes the best parts of both and balances them out. I really feel that Babs has lost a lot of skill and maturity in recent years so I very much like to see both reinstated and to see them honoring her history as Oracle even if she's no longer using that role. I also wouldn't mind seeing a Batgirls type book that stars her, Cass and Stephanie.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    getting away from the grim grittiness of Simone's run. What would work for me is a book that takes the best parts of both and balances them out.
    Yea, I want a Bronze Age rebirth for Babs. The Bronze Age (Batgirl's stories are getting their own Omnibus) had the perfect mix of light & dark, fun & serious.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I'd like to see more maturity in her book. The cutesy style and stories of the Burnside were great for a while. However, now that so many of books have that tone (see most of Marvel's female led titles), it feels less special. I'd like to see her in a more classic styled costume with less cartoony art. I'd also like to see more focus on Barbara's place in the superhero community.

If the question is, does the Burnside concept need to be dropped, the answer is a resounding yes. Its clear now it was a flash in the pan, short term appeal that's long gone now.

If the question is, does she need to go back to being Oracle, the answer is an equally resounding no.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If the question is, does the Burnside concept need to be dropped, the answer is a resounding yes. Its clear now it was a flash in the pan, short term appeal that's long gone now.

If the question is, does she need to go back to being Oracle, the answer is an equally resounding no.
    i do believe this is a very accurate statement and should be pinned across the internet