Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    I can't see them using a paralyzed Barbara again unless it's as Oracle. I guess they could give her some kind of mech-suit but that might send a bad message.
    Not any worse a message than her gaining the ability to walk again thorough an "experimental surgery"...

Isn't there an Elseworld's story where she gets a Lantern ring. That could be interesting if the Lanterns weren't cluttered already.
    Wasn't an elseworlds. At the end of her Batgirl series, Steph, under the influence of the Black Mercy, had a series of visions. One of them had Babs as a Green Lantern, Steph herself as a Blue Lantern, and Damian as a Red Lantern. (She also imagined all 3 Batgirls going back in time to team up with the Blackhawks, and both of these are stories I still really want.)

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Eh, I don't know. Bronze Age Babs was in long in college with like same aged Dick and all. So BTAS Babs often struck me as pretty faithful to Bronze Age Babs over time. I got enough Bronze Age from Dixon's amazing Batgirl Yea One as well.
    I thought the "Bronze Age" for DC technically ended with Crisis on Infinite Earths towards 1985?
    That Barbara had already graduated college / been a librarian / been a member of the U.S. Congress and was in no way in a relationship with Dick Grayson beyond being an older friend / team-up partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Wasn't an elseworlds. At the end of her Batgirl series, Steph, under the influence of the Black Mercy, had a series of visions. One of them had Babs as a Green Lantern, Steph herself as a Blue Lantern, and Damian as a Red Lantern. (She also imagined all 3 Batgirls going back in time to team up with the Blackhawks, and both of these are stories I still really want.)
    That's what I was thinking of at first, but I do recall an image of Babs as a Green Lantern surrounded by other female members of the Justice League.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's what I was thinking of at first, but I do recall an image of Babs as a Green Lantern surrounded by other female members of the Justice League.
    AH! I found what you're talking about. The elsewords JLA: Created Equal

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Not any worse a message than her gaining the ability to walk again thorough an "experimental surgery"...
    Actually, I think it would be worse. Having her recover via surgery with difficulties was a much better approach than most magical healings in comics where there are no repercussions.

If they made a paralyzed Barbara a mech hero it could send the message than a paralyzed person can only be a hero if they're augmented to being like everyone else. Not saying that would be the intention but it could be perceived that way.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah that was what I was thinking of as well.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought the "Bronze Age" for DC technically ended with Crisis on Infinite Earths towards 1985?
    That Barbara had already graduated college / been a librarian / been a member of the U.S. Congress and was in no way in a relationship with Dick Grayson beyond being an older friend / team-up partner.
    My point was mostly I don't think BTAS or even Dixon's Batgirl Year One deviated in such a big way from the tone & spirit of Bronze Age Babs, who yes, ended with COIE or Batman #400 (then Batgirl had a brief Post-Crisis life grimly ending with her quitting the crimefighting before her post-Batgirl crippling).

Ergo, I don't think it's the BTAS crowd so much that DC must be aiming for (that was your contention) with Burnside Babs. But fans of other things (which ones, I don't know...certain anime or manga (which I know little about) or other books DC or Marvel were doing that I'm failing to make a connection with). Or maybe Burnside Babs was just a very new experiment, driven by a creative lack of satisfaction the more mature-seeming Batfam-connected more classical skilled respected Babs versions of old)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-20-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

What mostly everyone else is saying, get rid of Burnside Batgirl. It didn't even help her character it was a waste of time. I just read some of Simone's BoP and man that was some good writing for Babs even Injustice writes Babs better than her current comic.

BANNED

Actually, I think it would be worse. Having her recover via surgery with difficulties was a much better approach than most magical healings in comics where there are no repercussions.

If they made a paralyzed Barbara a mech hero it could send the message than a paralyzed person can only be a hero if they're augmented to being like everyone else. Not saying that would be the intention but it could be perceived that way.
    I personally see things differently. If after The Killing Joke was made canon, just a year or two down the line, she went through a surgery and went through the difficult steps of recovery? Fine. But the many years she spent as Oracle showed that not only could someone who was permanently disabled be just as good as everyone else, no, they could be better. In-universe, Oracle was a pillar of the superhero community, on par with Batman and Superman.

DC taking that away, along with the other Bat with a disability at the same time, to me says, "NO, you can't cope with your disability and be a hero. Either be like everyone else or get out."

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of Babs running around in a mech suit either. It's just that it wouldn't be any worse IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    What mostly everyone else is saying, get rid of Burnside Batgirl. It didn't even help her character it was a waste of time. I just read some of Simone's BoP and man that was some good writing for Babs even Injustice writes Babs better than her current comic.
    Yeah Injustice actually has an awesome Babs. You can see why she's mates with people like Dinah and is trusted by Bruce. Plus the costume is something Barbara would wear.

Burnside kind of needs to be overhauled for Barbara's own sake. The writers have just kind of failed to do justice to Barbara's character. It could have been done initially but it's kind of too late at this point and now Burnside has got bad wrap.

Whatever they do i think Burnside needs to stay to a point. They cut out a little piece of Gotham for Batgirl to make her own, and i don't think they should just jettison that. A place a character can call their own isn't something you just throw away.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Whatever they do i think Burnside needs to stay to a point. They cut out a little piece of Gotham for Batgirl to make her own, and i don't think they should just jettison that. A place a character can call their own isn't something you just throw away.
    It's happened before. Platinum Flats, anyone? Heck, before Seeley brought it back, Bludhaven.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    It's happened before. Platinum Flats, anyone? Heck, before Seeley brought it back, Bludhaven.
    Platinum Flats never lifted off the ground, and lasted what 10 issues? And blowing up Bludhaven didn't really work out well. If anything Platinum Flats and Bludhaven proves my point. It's not easy for Bat characters not Batman to find a place to call their own.

Astonishing Member

But I'm guessing the problem with that is that while those of us who first discovered a slightly older / more mature Barbara Gordon as Batgirl during her pre-The Killing Joke run, how many current readers/buyers probably first discovered her on the animated Batman series? Wasn't that version younger and still in college (closer in age to Dick)? Is it that type of reader DC is really trying to cater to with the de-aged Barbara Gordon?
    I think it is and I think that's the smart way to go, tbh. IMHO, the Big 2 really shouldn't focus on iterations of characters that are over 40 years old. That time has come and gone and certainly not going to attract new readers in any significant numbers. It may bring back a few older readers that recall said version, but that's not who the Big 2 should be trying to attract because older readers just aren't going to sustain the industry.

I haven't been in that age bracket since the 1970s.

And on a side note, is it a bad thing for DC to offer a main DC universe title that's teen-friendly?
    Nope, not even a little.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    Yeah Injustice actually has an awesome Babs. You can see why she's mates with people like Dinah and is trusted by Bruce. Plus the costume is something Barbara would wear.

Burnside kind of needs to be overhauled for Barbara's own sake. The writers have just kind of failed to do justice to Barbara's character. It could have been done initially but it's kind of too late at this point and now Burnside has got bad wrap.
    Remember that creative team had nonstop issues with editors over the direction of the book (and what lead to the creation of Motor Crush for Image by most of the team). So who knows how it would have worked out if left alone (story of the Batman supporting cast isn't it).

And I don't see that looking going away as it's being used in toys and DC superheros line.