Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default RUMOUR: Nick Spencer Writing Amazing Spider-Man? [updated]

Okay, two things combine. There’s a little speculation here. But the foundation is more than that.

Marvel have just registered trademarks for “Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man” for all manner of things, including (breath in) “Entertainment services, namely, providing online non-downloadable comic books and graphic novels, Downloadable electronic publications in the nature of comic books, comic magazines and stories in illustrated form, Comic books; printed periodicals in the field of comic book stories and artwork; posters.”

This could be as a result of the prominence of the phrase used in the Marvel Studios/Sony trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming, as spoken by Robert Downey Jr.

But there’s also the possibility it will actually be used as the title of a new comic book. Which is the easiest way to lock that trademark down and prevent lots of other “Friendly Neighborhood” wannabes trademarking their own.

There are already registered trademarks for Friendly Neighborhood Technicians, Friendly Neighborhood Grime Fighters, Friendly Neighborhood Transport Analysts, Friendly Neighborhood Medicine Women, Friendly Neighborhood Pub, Friendly Neighborhood International Giant and, I kid you not, Friendly Neighborhood Weapons Dealer.

But what I am also hearing is that, post-Secret Empire, Nick Spencer will be writing a Spider-Man comic book for Marvel. Now Dan Slott will have to be dragged off Amazing Spider-Man kicking and screaming for dear life, and the title has remained a bright spot in Marvel’s… challenging economics of late. So if indeed, Nick Spencer is on a new Spider-Man title. It is likely not to be Amazing.
    Source: BC
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-06-2017 at 12:31 PM.

I might just be the only person in the world who thinks Marvel "Big" writers like Nick Spencer, Dan Slott, and Brian Michael Bendis just aren't that great.

BANNED

That leaves sensational or web of and we have 4 spiderman issues a month like the 90s!!

Long as they don't cross over I can finally enjoy Spiderman again as I hate Amazing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I might just be the only person in the world who thinks Marvel "Big" writers like Nick Spencer, Dan Slott, and Brian Michael Bendis just aren't that great.
    No, you're not alone. I certaingly don't rate Slott all that highly [he has his good days though], Spencer's writing is a little politically salty, and Bendis enjoys a conversation more than a confrontation in an issue

I think Nick Spencer would actually be a superb fit for a Spidey title; it would be great if he could rein in his political soapboxing---that certainly fits in his Captain America work but would be oddly out of place in a Spidey title IMO. Still, I think he would be a great choice for a new Spider-book.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    No, you're not alone. I certaingly don't rate Slott all that highly [he has his good days though], Spencer's writing is a little politically salty, and Bendis enjoys a conversation more than a confrontation in an issue
    Just hope that it isn't another team up book where Peter is the incompetent guset star that always has to be saved.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

We don't need another book about Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    You're not. I don't understand the appeal either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    We don't need another book about Peter Parker.
    Could be about a 15 year old Peter Parker either in the past or time displaced. Which would explain the poster that shows a full faced spidey ans a half faced peter/spidey.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I think Nick Spencer would actually be a superb fit for a Spidey title; it would be great if he could rein in his political soapboxing---that certainly fits in his Captain America work but would be oddly out of place in a Spidey title IMO. Still, I think he would be a great choice for a new Spider-book.
    Spencer would be awesome on a Spidey book. I mean, Superior Foes of Spider-Man was one of the best Spider-family titles ever. Just a brilliant book.

One great strength of Spencer's writing is that he's extremely funny. Even with Hydra Cap, there's genuinely hilarious moments. So him on Spidey? Yes please.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this rumor pans out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Could be about a 15 year old Peter Parker either in the past or time displaced. Which would explain the poster that shows a full faced spidey ans a half faced peter/spidey.
    Would they risk a teen Peter again so soon after Spidey failed them? I suppose the main canon thing could help it, and it's worked out for the Original X-Men...

What a weird balancing act that is

ASM: Potentially failed down on his luck globe-trotting business entrepreneur
    Spectacular: Same character as in ASM only more of a local hero with familiar supporting cast
    RYV: Happily married throwback Peter who fights crime with his family in another dimension
    FNSM: Time displaced teen Peter trying to find his mark in the world and being informed by the future before heading back to his

Ugh. I respect Spencer's craft as a writer but I do not need to see him on Spider-Man. I don't want to have to read a Peter Parker on par with his take on Scott Lang, who I feel like he'd probably write very similarly to one another. From what I've heard we're going to be getting enough of that in Zdarsky's run .

I'm also not really sure what they would do with a "Friendly Neighborhood" spinoff title at this point. Spec was advertised as "back-to-basics" but that turned into a team-up book, and supposedly a more back-to-basics Spider-Man what ASM is going to re-focus on being.

I guess it could be that they want a more traditional Spider-title written by a different writer, or a new voice on Spider-Man, without having to force Slott off the book like Bleeding Cool is theorized.

I wonder if it might be a Miles spinoff though, given Spencer's writing him a lot in Secret Empire?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Would they risk a teen Peter again so soon after Spidey failed them? I suppose the main canon thing could help it, and it's worked out for the Original X-Men...
    Given the success of the O5, I do wonder if Marvel might try something similar with Spidey but I don't think they would. It's one thing to have both Peter and Miles running around as Spidey, it's quite another thing to have Peter, Miles, and another Peter. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Given the success of the O5, I do wonder if Marvel might try something similar with Spidey but I don't think they would. It's one thing to have both Peter and Miles running around as Spidey, it's quite another thing to have Peter, Miles, and another Peter. But we'll see.
    Bringing a teenage Spidey back to the present-day would open up even more of an unnecessary can of worms then the 05 would.

I could only see them pulling that out if they were really desperate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Bringing a teenage Spidey back to the present-day would open up even more of an unnecessary can of worms then the 05 would.

I could only see them pulling that out if they were really desperate.
    Well that's just it. It would complicate things far too much. The only way it would work is if they got rid of the present day Peter and that unless there was some brilliant plan attached to that (which, hey, there conceivably could be) I don't see that being a good idea.