Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I think Slott is one of the greatest Spidey writers ever as well. It's not that he doesn't have underwhelming stories; it's that his long form storytelling is excellent and his highs are really high. His comics read like a cartoon that is fun for all ages.
    I think at least part of the problem for some of the people who don't like Slott's run - whether it's conscious or not - is that he hasn't written "standard" Spidey during his solo run. It's been Horizon Labs and gadget Spider-Man, then SpOck, then CEO Spider-Man. He hasn't written "regular" Spidey since Brand New Day.

Which is probably about where the virgin storytelling ground is as much as anything else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I think at least part of the problem for some of the people who don't like Slott's run - whether it's conscious or not - is that he hasn't written "standard" Spidey during his solo run. It's been Horizon Labs and gadget Spider-Man, then SpOck, then CEO Spider-Man. He hasn't written "regular" Spidey since Brand New Day.

Which is probably about where the virgin storytelling ground is as much as anything else.
    He's written ''regular'' Spider-Man since BND...mostly in Learning to Crawl and Renew Your Vows. One is set in the past, one in an alternate world.

And both are pretty big favorites of mine.

Likewise, his BND material is often cited by his critics as his best work. When he stays in his lane and doesn't stray from it, he hits home runs with EVERYONE. And should'nt pleasing EVERYONE be your main objective?

RYV isn't "regular" Spidey.

One thing I'll agree about Slott's writing is that it can feel very cartoony (which makes sense, he got his start on Ren and Stimpy comics).

Mighty Member

RYV isn't "regular" Spidey.

I am sure that Miles meant a regular Spidey like in actions,mannerisms
    he wasn't referring to main universe

he already pointed out that RYV was one in an alternate world

so why correct him like he's clueless?
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I have had kids come up to me and tell me outright they hate Slott's run actually, especially after reading back issues from the 80s.

And, yeah, a book containing hints of date rape [Superior] is ''a fun cartoon for all ages''...sometimes I wonder if even you believe this stuff.

Cut out this ''you can't enjoy comics the way you did as a child'' B.S. Most of my enjoyment and preference of DC over Marvel currently stems from enjoying it the way I did as a child.
    I've repeatedly observed you responding to my posts with overt hostility. I am publicly asking you to please conduct yourself in a more civil manner.

I am a real person over here, and I just want to enjoy talking about comics. That I like comics you don't or have opinions that you don't share shouldn't affect the way we interact.

-Pav, who feels no hostility towards you...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

He's written ''regular'' Spider-Man since BND...mostly in Learning to Crawl and Renew Your Vows. One is set in the past, one in an alternate world.

And both are pretty big favorites of mine.

Likewise, his BND material is often cited by his critics as his best work. When he stays in his lane and doesn't stray from it, he hits home runs with EVERYONE. And should'nt pleasing EVERYONE be your main objective?
    There are some counterarguments to the view that pleasing everybody should be your main goal.

One point is that it's pretty much impossible, especially when you have styles and preferences about what happens to characters.

The other is that it may be more important to really impress the hell out of a small group of readers than to make something that the majority of readers will be okay with but not excited by. Because people are going to buy what excites them.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I am sure that Miles meant a regular Spidey like in actions,mannerisms
    he wasn't referring to main universe

he already pointed out that RYV was one in an alternate world

so why correct him like he's clueless?
    I defined "regular" for the purposes of the exchange by how I used it in my post, to which he was responding. (Unfortunately I used "standard" as well, which may have implied I meant two different things.)

The issue with RYV isn't that it's AU (although any AU would not be "regular" Spidey, because it would have no reason to exist), it's that Peter having a child has never been a part of the book's dynamic.
    Last edited by Tuck; 08-03-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Amazing Member

I have had kids come up to me and tell me outright they hate Slott's run actually, especially after reading back issues from the 80s.

And, yeah, a book containing hints of date rape [Superior] is ''a fun cartoon for all ages''...sometimes I wonder if even you believe this stuff.

Cut out this ''you can't enjoy comics the way you did as a child'' B.S. Most of my enjoyment and preference of DC over Marvel currently stems from enjoying it the way I did as a child.
    It remembers me a retailer that mentioned that through out the last four or five years, he increasingly got AMS buyers saying they "hate Peter Parker" and "Peter Parker is the worst part of Spider-Man" and when he out of curiosity ask what Spider-Man stuff they were reading, they always answer the Dan Slott stuff.

The issue with RYV isn't that it's AU (although any AU would not be "regular" Spidey, because it would have no reason to exist), it's that Peter having a child has never been a part of the book's dynamic.
    Well, things change. (Or as the followup series put it: "Face it, Tiger; the old rules just don't fly anymore").

I don't really see the problem with him being a father in that series; it's a fairly logical continuation of ASM from the breakoff point and fits pretty well with the responsibility theme that's always been the book's dynamic.

BANNED

Let's also not forget the MC2 shorts in Amazing Spider-Man Family where ''regular'' Peter dealing with life as a hero and a dad to an infant Mayday was a part of that book's dynamic, and that's the more natural history for the character anyway.

So, summing up: everyone misinterpreted post #136.

Where I was exploring the possibility that the dissatisfaction some readers have with Slott's run might be due to it being outside the normal Spider-Man wheelhouse rather than some irrational grudge.

Jesus

Any guesses on what happened here since Nick Spencer did get ASM, but FNSM was launched with a different writer?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Going by the original article, Rich speculated that Spencer could write FNSM since Marvel had registered the trademark. The article states that Spencer was going to write a Spider-Man title, and comes to the conclusion/speculation that the title was FNSM, since at the time Slott didn't seem to be leaving TASM in the near future.

So two different things that they speculated that they were connected, but didn't in the end.

Yeah, clearly they had intended even back then for FNSM to be the replacement when it came time for Spec to relaunch.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman