Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    I believe it will jeopardize the Peter Parker titles even more. The spider brand is diluted but with FNSM in addition to ASM, RYV and Spectacular, Peter would be diluted and that would be bad. RYV was supposed to be the return of classic Spidey but then Spectacular was announced and now FNSM is rumored to be something. The Peter Parker titles will compete with each other for audience and because non are ASM they will earn less considering all the books out there, not just about spiders, but Marvel in general.
    By the time a third Peter-driven title arrives, RYV will most likely be gone. So it'd just be three in the main MU. For years there were at least three Peter Parker books at one time - Amazing, Spectacular and Web (which took the place of the Spidey-starring Marvel Team-Up). With Marvel Tales to boot. And Untold Tales of Spider-Man for a time in the '90s. Diluting the brand was never a problem so if they return to having a couple of satellite titles, it won't be any more excessive than in the past.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Not sure how I feel about the possibility of Spencer doing Friendly. He's a decent writer but I'm not so sure his style of story-telling will translate well into a Spidey book personally speaking. If this rumour turned out to be true however, I'd consider giving it a shot if possible.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    By the time a third Peter-driven title arrives, RYV will most likely be gone
    So do you reckon this Spencer penned title, if true, could launch in November? According to Bryan Level's twitter, RYV is confirmed now through to October, giving it a full year of publication, but it also looks like Stegman is tying up the plot threads we've seen building in the book, so that could mean they're preparing for some kind of wrap-up. I hope not, but I won't be too surprised.

Incredible Member

By the time a third Peter-driven title arrives, RYV will most likely be gone. So it'd just be three in the main MU. For years there were at least three Peter Parker books at one time - Amazing, Spectacular and Web (which took the place of the Spidey-starring Marvel Team-Up). With Marvel Tales to boot. And Untold Tales of Spider-Man for a time in the '90s. Diluting the brand was never a problem so if they return to having a couple of satellite titles, it won't be any more excessive than in the past.
    But in the past there was more demand, more sales and more readership. Today most new titles don't even last a full year. Granted this is Spider Man but still. And RYV is still not dead yet nor do I want it to. Its an excellent book all around.

I like Spencer as a writer, but I am not sure three ongoing solo books about Peter are needed.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

But in the past there was more demand, more sales and more readership. Today most new titles don't even last a full year. Granted this is Spider Man but still. And RYV is still not dead yet nor do I want it to. Its an excellent book all around.
    I hope RYV sticks around longer for the people who enjoy it but most books end eventually. And as for whether the market can support a third Spidey satellite, that's up to Marvel to decide. If they put it out and I like the creative team, I'll pick it up. Worrying about how it sells or long last it'll last isn't my concern.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comicfan111 View Post
    I like Spencer as a writer, but I am not sure three ongoing solo books about Peter are needed.
    I mean, Pete had three ongoings before OMD so there's been a precedent for it in the past. That said I do think only two ongoings are really necessary, given Slotts penchant for more long-term story arcs, a secondary title works as a complimentary. Unless the third title has it's own hook like a Spider-Man teamup book, I don't see the need.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Incredible Member

I hope RYV sticks around longer for the people who enjoy it but most books end eventually. And as for whether the market can support a third Spidey satellite, that's up to Marvel to decide. If they put it out and I like the creative team, I'll pick it up. Worrying about how it sells or long last it'll last isn't my concern.
    Yeah but if you pick up the good and you really like it and intend on picking it up with every new release you'd want to keep the book going for as long as possible. Everything ends but it shouldn't be so soon. The creative team behind RYV was also phenomenal by the way. However the mouthful title of ASM Renew Your Vows can be a turn off so maybe it would've been better off as Amazing Spider Man Family.

Marvel decides true, but Marvel's decisions to release too many books has cost them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean, Pete had three ongoings before OMD so there's been a precedent for it in the past. That said I do think only two ongoings are really necessary, given Slotts penchant for more long-term story arcs, a secondary title works as a complimentary. Unless the third title has it's own hook like a Spider-Man teamup book, I don't see the need.
    Agreed. With ASM, RYV and Spectacular now out there, another Peter Parker title is uneccessary and instead of just diluting the spider brand, it will dilute Peter Parker himself and in this day and age with the way Marvel does its short term profits and books barely last, its not the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I agree, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man would need it's own hook. I think a Spider-Man team-up book would be great.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Isn't Spec going to be the Spider-Man team-up book though? At least that's what it seemed to be developing into.

Friendly Neighborhood could be the more traditional, complimentary, satellite book.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Spec going to be the Spider-Man team-up book though? At least that's what it seemed to be developing into.

Friendly Neighborhood could be the more traditional, complimentary, satellite book.
    Both RYV and Spectacular were stated to be "back to basics" and "classical" Spider Man. As of right now, RYV is a superhero family book and Spectacular seems to be team up.

If Spec is going to be a team-up book (I would not know because I have not seen the solicitations or read the first issue yet) then I guess Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man could be a traditional satellite book.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comicfan111 View Post
    If Spec is going to be a team-up book (I would not know because I have not seen the solicitations or read the first issue yet) then I guess Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man could be a traditional satellite book.
    Maybe. I hope FNSM doesn't come to pass but Spectacular in its first issue already has Peter with Human Torch, Ant Man and then Riri Williams so that's why Spectacular has already been pegged as a team up until later issues hopefully dissuade this POV.

BANNED

If they haven't learned anything from their short term profits business model, they are doomed and heading into a darker age of sales. As time goes on, their precious number 1's sell less and less and they are still launching new books en masse with fifty percent of them barely meeting expectations.
    You won't get no disagreement from me there Unknown...I agree 100 percent.