Default Spider-man comic book idea for girlfriend

Hi.

I want to buy my girlfriend a Spider-man comic book (full story/collection) - she has never read Marvel comics but mentioned Spider-man would potentially be the most interesting character for her.
    So, taking into consideration the perspective that:

- She has never read any Spider-man comics/ has little to no background knowledge of the character and its evolution

- I would prefer getting her something more recent, wouldn't go for something older

Any tips/ suggestions?

Thanks!

Sins Past.

Just kidding, don't traumatize her.

Ultimate Spider-Man would do nicely.
    Currently Reading: Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Renew Your Vows, Mighty Thor, Silver Surfer, Infamous Iron Man, Spider-Man, Walking Dead, Saga, Renato Jones

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by UMAN View Post
    Sins Past.

Just kidding, don't traumatize her.

Ultimate Spider-Man would do nicely.
    Seconded. The Ultimate Collection Vol 1 has issues #1-13. The last issue is the Peter-MJ conversation that got such acclaim.

One More Day
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Besides Ultimate Spider-man, a good modern series that is completely self-contained (as it takes place in its own parallel universe) is Marvel Adventure's Spider-man. It's good, but was oriented to kids.

Other than that, perhaps I can recommend other "Spider" heroes like Silk (Vol 1 & 2), Spider-Gwen (Vol 1 & 2) and all of Peter David's Spider-man 2099 (both the 90's series - Volume 1 and his most recent 2010's series - Volume 2 & 3).

Or if you want a slightly more mature tale, Scarlet Spider (2012) with Kaine & Aracely in Houston, TX is mostly self-contained (everything you need to know is explained there) and a joy to read (it is my favorite comic). If you want more opinions by other people and some minor spoiler, see the forum thread linked in my signature.

And if you want a even darker story: Venom Volume 2.

That said, you could give her access to a digital Marvel Unlimited account and let her read these & explore the other +20,000 titles there.
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 06-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.

I know you said you didn't want anything old, but I might suggest Assassination Plot. Sabretooth, Silver Sable, Captain America, Solo.
    Spider-Man Todd McFarlane Omnibus might also be something she might like. Probably the Erik Larsen one as well. There is an Cosmic Adventures Epic Collection.

For newer, I love Renew your Vows.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.