Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    I've been having trouble sleeping lately.

I keep looking at my alarm clock, and it takes me an hour to fall asleep. What do I do?
    Change your job, flat and girlfriend/wife.

Amazing Member

I also have anxiety problems and ADHD, and I take meds for them.

Turn your alarm clock around so you can't see the time from your bed. Also I'm a medicinal marijuana smoker for depression and anxiety issues, it's much more effective than other prescription meds and helps me sleep better too

Incredible Member

Some excellent advice has been posted already. I have one more idea that has helped me: slow down your breathing. Not so much that it triggers the reflex to inhale deeply, just slow down a little at a time. After exhaling, wait a bit longer than usual to inhale again.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Some excellent advice has been posted already. I have one more idea that has helped me: slow down your breathing. Not so much that it triggers the reflex to inhale deeply, just slow down a little at a time. After exhaling, wait a bit longer than usual to inhale again.
    Your on the right track Rob.
    I also have sleep problems. Lately I've been practicing deep breathing techniques with real success.
    Take steady, even breaths. Five seconds in. Hold for one second. Five seconds out. With each exhale imagine your body relaxing one piece at a time, starting with your toes and working up to your head. Picture a still pond if needed to calm your thoughts.
    It also helps to run a fan in the room. The clock is your enemy. Set the alarm and turn it to face the wall.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

One more bit of advice. As early as you can at night, after dinner for example, start getting ready for bed. If you bath/shower at night, do that as early as possible. Put on your PJ's or whatever your routine is as soon as possible. Make it so that as soon as you start feeling really tired you can stop whatever you are doing and go to bed. Lay down, turn off the lights, get comfortable, then you'll fall asleep soon enough.

If you wait until you are tired before getting ready for bed, as soon as you are finished with your evening routine you might get a second wind and be unable to sleep.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    I keep looking at my alarm clock, and it takes me an hour to fall asleep. What do I do?
    Just one hour? It takes me like 2 or even 3 hours and I tried everything but nothing seems to work.
    I also suffer Sleep paralysis lmao.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

You can always use the non-sleep time and watch The Machinist (2004)

Sorry. Often suffering from sleepless nights myself due to stress.

Mighty Member

Also unplug your alarm clock and just use your phone for an alarm. That way there is nothing to look at.

Also maybe stay up later. I only sleep about 5 hours a night (6 on good nights). I don't have much choice, but since I don't get enough sleep, I am tired as hell every night and fall asleep as soon as my heads hits the pillow. I often can barely even remember getting into bed the next morning.

Mighty Member

Also I see this thread is almost a year and a half old. I wonder if that person ever started sleeping any better.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Also I see this thread is almost a year and a half old. I wonder if that person ever started sleeping any better.
    This thread is old but that's still a thing. I think I'm sleepless because of various reasons, mostly because of a job, you can't just change job quick. Moreover I was diagnosed with apnea and now I can't sleep without a CPAP machine. Are any of you using any special pillows like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumz View Post
    This thread is old but that's still a thing. I think I'm sleepless because of various reasons, mostly because of a job, you can't just change job quick. Moreover I was diagnosed with apnea and now I can't sleep without a CPAP machine. Are any of you using any special pillows like this?
    No. But I sometimes prop them in that fashion for a different sleep sense.