Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Did Stjepan Sejic just revive Aquaman?

As most people should know, Stjepan Sejic started his work on Aquaman with issue 25 this week and is not coincidence that the book has received a significant improvement.

Sejic's artwork has the kind of fantasy style that the title has been begging for years. I could argue that he's even better for the book than Ivan Reis and I adored his work. Every scene is memorable and offers lot of creativity in the way how the panels are constructed while the characters remains gorgeous, these are easily the most beautiful Arthur, Mera and Dolphin I've seen.

Not only that but strangely enough, Abnett's story has become much more interesting now than in the last few arcs. It deals with overly-typical "Arthur has been banished from Atlantis" premise but is handled solidly with strong execution and interesting twists like making Aquaman into an actual mystery now. The Trump parallels with Corum Rath are quite obvious and while I'm pretty tired of that sort of thing appearing in other books, it makes sense here since Atlantis always had a xenophobic view and so having a paranoid and racist leader is logical.

It might be a bit too soon to be excited but I'm quite digging this so far. Good stuff.

BANNED

I wouldn't call it a "revival" since with the exception of Bunn's run, and to a lesser extent the early Rebirth issues, Aquaman has mostly been consistently great since the Nu52 started (Literally the only title I can say that about BTW). But yeah, the story itself is still great, albeit not flawless, and Sejic's mystifying art makes the book even better.

It reminds me of the Lord of Asgard era of Thor (right before it was thrown into the firepits of Apokolips with Disassembled), the Sword of Atlantis era of Aquaman and the Loki run in Journey Into Mystery by Gillen.
    Which means... it looks fantastic, but may be short-lived because traditional superhero readers seem to hate fantasy tropes and themes in their comics.

And it's mind-boggling, considering how much overlap there is in fantasy fans and superhero fans in comic shops due to the card games and rpgs.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

For me he did. Stunning stuff. Before Aquaman was boring me to tears, but this issue i was really drawn into it and the story because everything just looked so spectacular and interesting.

yes he did.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Sejic has that effect on his authors, if he isn a co-plotter. Ron Marz typically does nothing for me, but his work with Sejic was top notch.

Revive Aquaman? NO...

Books like Batgirl need revive, with Aquaman was only bad luck..

But Aquaman is now stuck with a "once-a-month"/$3.99 normal U.S. cover-price status starting with the next issue, isn't it?

No. In my opinion, Aquaman has consistently been one of the best books from Rebirth. Sejic's art is just the icing on the cake.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

No. 678910

And it doesn't hurt that Sejic's Aquaman looks a lot like a mix of Jason Mamoa and early Brad Pitt...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't care for Sejic's art.
    I have a feeling that issue #25 will be my last issue for awhile.

BANNED

Lol, there was an editorial change for Aquaman.

So the editor is probably taking an active role in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    And it doesn't hurt that Sejic's Aquaman looks a lot like a mix of Jason Mamoa and early Brad Pitt...
    Wow! I guess I will be revisiting Aquaman again! I put it down after the start of the Dead Water business. But with a description like I simply MUST check it oush . . .

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

More like this is the first time in at least a decade he's been good in a non-Brave and the Bold context, but yes.
    Buh-bye