Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sony planning projects with Mysterio and Kraven

The Hollywood Reporter had a spotlight on Sony's Spider-Man films that included a nugget on Mysterio and Kraven.

Other projects will focus on Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio. The idea, says a studio source, is to build out a world gradually rather than launch one immediately, as they had been trying with Spider-Man villain ensemble Sinister Six, which has been shelved.
    This has been interpreted as Sony wanting to make solo films about Kraven and Mysterio, although the statement is a bit more vague.

I'm hoping these are villains Sony is thinking of using for future Spider-Man films, rather than proposed leads.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Kraven and Mysterio are one of the few Lee/Ditko and classic Rogues the movies still haven't gotten to, so given they've said they're still steering clear of villains who've already been used, I think it's likely that there might be plans for them with MCU Spider-Man.

But if they're planning movies based around them as leads...then I don't have any clue what Sony is thinking at this point .

They are doing way too much coke at Sony.

iMan 42s

Kraven could lead a film if Last Hunt was anything to go by (the source material exists). I'd be very interested in seeing Kraven on the big screen especially if there was a Vermin kind of villain for him to fight. Be it KLH or a Kraven solo movie I could easily see how that would work. Kraven is a villain who could easily fill a movie slot and you can tie that into a Scarlet Spider spin-off easy. Merchandising would do wonders since Kraven would need a lot of gadgets. Come to think of it, why hasn't Kraven been on the big screen yet?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Lmao Sony is so desperate. All of these stupid spinoffs are going to flop

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I am starting to wonder who the hell Spidey is going to face in his MCU made movies if all these characters are being drafted into Sony's own movie universe 'which is totally in the MCU, honest!' nonsense.

I mean a Kraven solo movie does sound kind of fun. Heck I would love a Doctor Octopus film too if they took some elements of Superior Spider-Man but just had classic Ock with Anna Maria instead. But I seriously can't imagine Mysterio working as the focus of his own movie. He's not that effective a villain at the best of times, and trying to imagine it working without Spider-Man, like all these planned movies? It almost seems to be trying to replicate DC's own apparent intention of doing Deadshot and Black Adam movies where the villain is the focus, but there's only so many characters that can work for. Fox could do a Magneto or Doctor Doom film and I would totally buy it, but not Mysterio.

If Sony is dead set on doing a villain flick, then they should consider something like Superior Foes of Spider-Man. They already have Shocker in play, so consider getting some of the other characters from that comic and do a fun heist flick with apparently ineffective bad guys.

I think all the news coming out with Sony and their film plans are their attempts at trying to renegotiate the contract they signed with Marvel when the let Spider-Man be in the MCU.

Mostly because I have this feeling that Tom Holland won't be obligated to appear in any Sony Films, and Sony is realizing their movies will struggle if that version of Spider-Man doesn't appear.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Kraven could lead a film if Last Hunt was anything to go by (the source material exists). I'd be very interested in seeing Kraven on the big screen especially if there was a Vermin kind of villain for him to fight. Be it KLH or a Kraven solo movie I could easily see how that would work. Kraven is a villain who could easily fill a movie slot and you can tie that into a Scarlet Spider spin-off easy. Merchandising would do wonders since Kraven would need a lot of gadgets. Come to think of it, why hasn't Kraven been on the big screen yet?
    Kraven was an anti hero for a day, before killing himself. Kraven works best an antagonist, not a protagonist. Kraven is the villain of that story, trying to turn it around so he is the protagonist is weird and I don't think works.

Incredible Member

Sony just needs to stop trying with all the spin-off films. Venom, Black Cat, Silver Sable, the Sinister 6, they're all dependent on Spider-Man, you can't just separate them and try to make a series about it. The same goes for that BS they said about Aunt May having her own movie where she was going to be a secret agent, its stupid and it won't work because it's so far off from the source material and at the end of the day how many people do you know would actually be interested in a movie about Aunt May?

If Sony wants to make a Spider-Man spinoff two things need to happen. 1st they need to do an adaptation of the Clone Saga (either the original or Ultimate universe) so they can bring in Ben Reilly, Kaine, and/or Jessica Drew to be Scarlet Spider/Spider Woman. 2nd they need to bring Venom successfully into Spider-Man so that they can have Flash Thompson get the symbiote after they get rid of Eddy and it changes hands.

Extraordinary Member

Alright, since I had to occupy myself while waiting for new internet to be installed, I spent time making this Kraven movie pitch. Here's the catch; I'd use a Spider-Man movie to introduce the family, with Sergei Kravinov as the main villain, then I'd have the spinoff follow his daughter Ana as the protagonist. I've also, not going to lie, changed a lot of the family's characterizations, though I think they could be flexible; for instance, Chameleon could be a mostly non-violent threat who just kidnaps the people he impersonates, or he could be the psychotic kill-and-replace-then-dispose-of-the-body guy. If you don't mind, take a read, and tel me what you think.

Spider-Man to Kraven movie idea

-Ana Kravinov is main protagonist of Kraven movie, so she needs both sympathetic traits, an engaging character arc, and threatening skills.
    -In a Spider-man movie, Ana is enrolled in Midtown specifically to try and ascertain which member is Spider-Man, with her uncle Dmitri the Chameleon acting as her tutor in this situation and backup as a Sociology teacher.
    -Ana is a dutiful daughter who seeks her father's affection, and does receive it, but only as a huntress and only when she succeeds; he's not abusive, but very cold and negligent.
    -Ana is totally at a loss for how to act as a high school student; she doesn't like anyone touching her or invading her personal space (seeing it as a challenge), has trouble with wordplay even in her native Russian, and is far too blunt and brusque. She also is over-competitive in PE, and doesn't get most sports. She does, however, love soccer as a guilty pleasure.
    -Ana seeks out Peter's clique because they're the prime suspects because it was their field trip he disappeared from and back into. Because Ned saw Kraven and got utterly terrified of him, he makes Pete promise not to tell him if he's ever in danger, just rescue him from it. Ana then introduces herself, immediately tipping off Peter she's attached to Kraven, and Ned starts to develop a crush on her.
    -Peter's immediate circle becomes a twisted Breakfast Club from hell; Pete has to keep on dodging Ana's deductions with alternative explanations while trying to help Ned avoid the crossfire and later hilariously help him court Ana, Ned becomes correctly suspicious of Chameleon because of the way he teaches differently, MJ knows that Pete is Spider-Man and is acting to help him stay hidden without his knowledge, and Ana is finding herself enjoying her successes at blending in socially and feeling bad about her failures.
    -Ultimately, Chameleon, who's been helping Ana fit in better like a parent and trying to focus her sociology education to help her, comes up with a gambit to put another high school dance in danger to draw out Spidey for Kraven, with Ana joining the planning committee to sabotage everything. However, Kraven encounters and believes he's killed Spider-Man before the dance, and is convinced to leave the dance as a back up just in case.
    -Chameleon manages to trick Kraven into allowing Ana to go to the dance for fun, so she hurriedly asks Ned out. Unfortunately, just as she and Mary Jane are about to pick up their dates, Kraven discovers prove Spidey's alive and enacts the trap.
    -While Ana does effectively help her father against Spidey, when the trap threatens to hurt the kids below, including Ned and Mary Jane, she acts to save them. She has to choose between finishing off a wounded Peter (MJ lets her in on the secret after she's rescued), and helping Ned and others trapped under rubble. She chooses to save them, her father is maimed at the end of the fight, and she despondently sits at the dance until MJ convinces her to give Ned a dance for fun.
    -When Chameleon comes for her, he offers her a choice; either help him free Kraven and get revenge, or take a sabbatical. When she chooses the sabbatical to find her mother after seeing MJ and Pete greeted by Anna and May, he approves.

Kraven the Huntress movie.
    -Ana is trying to track down her mother and goes to her original tutor: Silver Sable or a female version of Puma. SS/P greets her warmly, and reluctantly gives her the information to try and find Sasha Kravinov, who is busy hunting... The Lizard, who is still shifting back and forth between the monster and the man.
    -Ana does what any Kravinov would do, and seeks the prey to find the predator. But when she finds Lizard in the Savannah, she is accosted by the Grim Hunter, her older brother Aloysha. The Grim Hunter (and, we'll discover, Sasha Kravinov) uses guns and more high tech hunting equipment. He introduces himself, clearly has conflicting desires to reach out and yet orders to keep her away at all costs, and orders her to stay away.
    -She refuses, and in the ensuing fight, is badly wounded. Dmitri doesn't kill her and sets her into safety, where she is found by a worried SS/Puma and nursed back to health. Ana is grateful for the rescue, but is so humiliated by her defeat and the mercy shown (Sergei her father drilled that into her) that she conceals her care for SS/P and yells at her before setting off again, this time in Grim Hunter's truck and with his equipment.
    -Unfortunately, Grim Hunter has tracking devices in his vehicles and accosts her again, alongside Sasha, their mother. Sasha reveals that she despises Ana because Sergei is Ana's father; Sasha and Sergei hail from different lines of the Kravinov family and were married by arrangement, while Aloysha is the son of her first lover. They once more beat her (Grim Hunter showing some hesitation) and this time strand her in the desert at Sasha's insistence. Because she trashed SS/P's tracking technology, she is mostly helpless, but manages to power through the pain, patch herself up, and hunt enough food to make it to an oasis motel, where she is taken in and rehydrated and given medical supplies... By the Connors family.
    -The Connors are here to meet Curt after he ingests a Lizard suppressant so he won't completely change around them. And Ana watches long enough to identify what makes Mrs. Connors an actual mother, and when she sees the signs that her biological family is here, she hides the Connors, calls SS/P and prepares a trap with Lizard as bait.
    -The suppressed Curt Connors appears, clearly having some mutated elements present, but full faculties, and is trapped by Ana in a net. Sasha and Grim Hunter appear, and while Grim Hunter is willing to accept Ana as his sister, Sasha only offers a cold partnership. Sasha also reveals that their bounty includes the Connors Kid, and that causes Ana to speed up her initial plan; she attacks and disarms Grim Hunter and Sasha of their guns, using other traps and tricks.
    -The fight is a free for all; Ana manages to temporarily blind Grim Hunter with his own gas grenade, and Sasha gets ahold of a adrenaline injector she and Grim Hunter have been using and throws it and everything else at Ana. The injector hits Dr. Connors, releasing the Lizard, who snaps the net and comes after all three Kravinovs. This allows Ana to win the fight by outlasting the others.
    -SS/Puma arrives to take all three into custody. Grim Hunter gives Ana a salute as recognition of their relation, while Sasha refuses to look at Ana and Ana responds by doing the same, and then hugging SS/Puma as she would a mother.
    -End credits teaser: Sergei awakes, reads about what happened, and scowls in disappointment. "This must be corrected," he says.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Uh, yay?

I'd like to see Mysterio in a movie, but only as the villain of a Spider-Man movie, so if it's going to be a Venom-like spinoff, I'm not interested.

Kraven, I'm not so sure. I'd love it if someone made an adaption of Kraven's Last Hunt, not really a cinematic universe deal or a new story inspired by it, but like some of DC's animated movies, such as Killing Joke; just faithfully adapt the story in animated or live action form and let it stand by itself. The character could work in a normal movie, but I'm not sure there's enough for a whole film.

Just what the f$%k are you doing Sony?

BANNED

Being that Mysterio is my favorite Spidey villain and that I have always wanted to see his character in a Spidey movie...I don't think this is the best way to go about presenting the characters of Mysterio and Kraven at all.

besides the dodgy choice of characters, i'd say the larger problem is jumping on the shared universe band wagon. just because the MCU has done it right, doesn't mean audiences have any appetite for more of the same
    troo fan or death

Mysterio is a fantastic, underrated villain and could definitely carry a film on his own. A reworking of his Ultimate design would work pretty well on film as well.

I'd be interested to see Kraven too, and Kraven's Last Hunt could make for a fantastic film, although he would need to be introduced first. I'm not convinced that he is visually interesting enough to be a sole villain though.