Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    When the war Thor was first I dictated in unworthy thor 5 a much different physicality was indicate than volstag

any ideas ?

Like it being volstag a lot
    The panel is apparently one of those overexposed scenes when a figure enters a door with a light behind their back. It always makes them look thin and alien looking, and in this case made him look normal proportioned, which stands to reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    From the description of how Jane's cancer has spread, I'm guessing it's now terminal. Chemo is no longer an option. Jane is right to be worried. She can survive forever as long as she stays in her Thor form (though this is still pre-Secret Empire isn't it - which means she's currently in serious trouble because Steve has the hammer), but her mortal form definitely doesn't have long left. The War Thor arc ends in September. I think the arc after may be her last. When she dies, that's when Odinson will take back the hammer.
    I still believe she will both die AND become Thor permanently.

P.S. To clarify: I mean permanently in the context of comics, where nothing is permanent.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-22-2017 at 11:15 AM.

To address concerns being expressed elsewhere that this issue is suggesting Thor had affairs while he was with Jane I would point to both the wording and the context.

Dalliance can imply a casual affair, but it can be as mild as a casual flirtation. The word implies something that is just a passing trifle. I believe if Aaron was trying to assert Thor was running around bedding women behind her back he would have used a stronger word.

Context is everything. For starters this is one of those 'we have unresolved issues' conversations. Nobody could claim the relationship between Thor and Jane ended smoothly, and many pages since have suggested just the opposite. Jane is often portrayed as having issues with what happened when they split.

To me Odinson reads as the guy that thinks it is all about him. He immediately jumps to the conclusion that Jane was somehow jealous of the other women that flirted with Thor (often harmlessly like Janet did in The Avengers), thereby proving he doesn't understand Jane's reasoning at all. Of course it is partly about him, it is partly about them and it is partly about Jane. Jane is a sensible and together woman except when it comes to Thor. Clearly the last thing on Jane's mind, as she contemplates death or similar, is Thor's faithfulness in the past.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-22-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Jane is a sensible and together woman except when it comes to Thor.
    And her kid (and [presumably ex-]husband). Has it even been mentioned that she's a deadbeat mum this whole run?

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    And her kid (and [presumably ex-]husband). Has it even been mentioned that she's a deadbeat mum this whole run?
    Good point.. whatever happened to Keith and Jimmy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Good point.. whatever happened to Keith and Jimmy?
    shhhh! didn't you learn anything from Janet Van Dyne? never mention someone's forgotten children!

It's obvious Thor was being sarcastic, he felt like someone was playing a big joke on him. Also, he has a right to be angry, she lied to him when he was seeking closure, during a period where he was drowning in depression and self hate. He went to talk to her, she saw how sad he was and lied to his face. She didn't apologize in the issue, she deflected, and immediately jumped to her sob story to guilt trip him.
    Ignoring that he offered her a cure for cancer and she didn't accept it, that people close to the avengers like black panther have the cure to cancer, that there are mutant and inhuman healers all around. Her cancer wouldn't have progressed so rapidly if she wasn't grabbing the hammer every moment, and letting it kill her.

Thor cheating or having dalliances is a retcon, I doubt anyone can find a scan from Stan Lee's Thor when Thor and Jane where together a, where he was cheating on her. I wouldn't say Jane is sensible when it comes to Thor, she flirted with Hercules and other men to make thor/Donald jealous, she left her husband and child to see if she could get with Thor again. You claim he is not understanding her, but she is also being dismissive of how being lied to by someone you're very close to when you're in a very bad place emotionally is.

For the issue.
    I loved it.
    Volstagg has seen a lot, from the wars he's fought to the stadium full of burning people in Siege. It hurts to see him go through this, those children must've been the last straw, especially being close to his children's age (will they ever grow up?)
    I love Dautermans art, but the second artist felt right, it showed the darkness of the story.
    Can't wait for Jane Vs Volstagg, I wonder if Thor will be involved, since solicits don't mention him.
    Still waiting for the Thori, Thor and Loki meeting.
    Glad we could get back to this story line, the shiar stuff was fun, but felt like filler. This issue really showed Jason Aaron as a writer.
    With Janes revelation of dying, will this tie into her losing the hammer in Secret Empire, and Thor being with Hydra (since he knows).
    It would be fun to see a future storyline of Jane trapped in a Thor body slowly losing herself and humanity, unable to leave the hammer for more than a certain period, or die.
    It's not too late to bring The Unworthy Thor comics.
    10/10 issue, I'm too much of a fanboy to subtract anything.
    Can't wait for the Thor Vs Thor battles to come.

It isn't a retcon if we didn't see it. It's just a revelation of something that happened off-panel.

So, it would be alright if they revealed that used to Jane sexually harassed patients back in the day?
    I have no problem with retcons, my favorite character Jean grey is a living (dead?) retcon, let's just not pretend it's something else.

Lol, why am I getting triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    You have presumable missed quite a few comics if this is what you think about that topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    Lol, why am I getting triggered.
    You are responding to something you feel strongly about, don't feel bad, we don't all need to agree. Thor has a convoluted and often contested cannon. It isn't a simple story and things contradict each other.

Personally I don't think this is a retcon, this is just relationship dialogue. People often say things that are half true, or twisted when they get into this kind of discussion. I could provide a panel or two where people flirted with Thor, that is all he referring to IMO. He is projecting his own jealousy. He is jealous of Jane's relationship with Mjφlnir. The clue is in the way he talks about that relationship. As if Jane is purposely flaunting it in front of him.

If you strongly identify with the character it is perhaps natural that you may agree with him, but it is only his perspective.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-22-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    So, it would be alright if they revealed that used to Jane sexually harassed patients back in the day?
    I have no problem with retcons, my favorite character Jean grey is a living (dead?) retcon, let's just not pretend it's something else.
    Pretty sure cheating on someone and violating someone's body are two totally different things. I hope you can see that. Classic Thor and young Thor were both known for their arrogance and immaturity. It was a bulk of Walt Simonson's run IIRC. And the opinion on retcons shouldn't matter as retcons contradict a previous work. As far as I know, Odinson cheating on Jane isn't contradicting anything from before.

I hate the cheating retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I hate the cheating retcon.
    Well don't see it as a reference to cheating then. I don't and I doubt Aaron does either.