Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I like planet of the apes 2001 more than rise of the planet of the apes don't get me worng its ok for what it is im just not a huge fan of it so what im asking is do you think ill like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes?
    If you didn't like Rise then you may not like Dawn. I thought that both were great and Dawn far surpassed what I expected.

I saw it twice yesterday. I went to the matinee, and then my family decided to go see it later that day, and I tagged along. This is one of the few sequels that surpassed the original and is way better that what many would expect a movie about apes to be. Everyone involved could have said this is just about some damn talking apes and treated it as such. Instead, it's a solid science fiction movie with a solid story. It has it's flaws but they don't detract or take anything away from the movie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    The use of Kobo just made me cringe. Why is it that most villains/trouble makers in American movies are angry meatheated bullies? Does no one think anything through anymore?
    Granted near the end, Koba turned into a mustache twirling villain. However prior to the city siege, I found the character quite sympathetic. His hatred towards humans made perfect sense but I don't think that's what drove him over the edge. I think it was the beating that Ceasar gave him that led him on the road to crazy town.
    Last edited by maczero; 07-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Saw this tonight (last night, technically). And I find myself in that rare circumstance of honestly being surprised, even genuinely baffled by the positive response so far.

I've never been someone who places a lot of stock in reviews, good or bad. I've enjoyed movies with largely negative reviews and been impressed by those disliked by critics. And then on other occasions, I've been in agreement with the general consensus about a movie, good or bad. But wherever my own opinions may fall, I'm usually able to at least see where the dissenting voices are coming from. I might not agree, but I can see why people might have a particular opinion.

With DotPotA though... I just can't see it. And I say that not because I thought it was a bad film, it certainly wasn't that. But I did find it especially ordinary. For me, the basis of any good movie is its characters. From the cheesiest action-fest to something more thought provoking, the characters are the driving force. Sure, if a movie is all car chases and explosions and killer-bikini-vampire-girls, then the characters can get away with not being especially rounded, just so long as they're entertaining within the context of that movie. But if a movie purports to be a little more intelligent, a little more real... then so too, the characters have to reflect that. And that's where Dawn falls down. Hard.

Of the apes, only Caesar and Koba really have any personality to speak of, with perhaps a nod to Caesar's son and Maurice. And of the two lead(er)s, Koba does just come across as your standard wronged villain, there's no real depth or layers to his character at all.

Having said that, the Apes fair a lot better than the humans who are... there. Although not quite as bad as Godzilla's most extreme of stock/generic characters, we're not a million miles away from that kind of under-developed writing here. The movie even achieves something I've heretofore always thought was impossible, and somehow even made Gary Oldman seem a little bit dull and unnecessary - and that man made Lost in Space watchable. Ish.

At the end of the day it's a well made movie with a great performance from Serkis. But when the movie offers you so few characters to connect with, it just becomes difficult to care about anything that happens right up until the credits finally roll.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 07-15-2014 at 06:54 PM.

This was such a beautiful movie. Everything from the performance, visuals and story is absolutely amazing. I really hope this gets the attention of the Academy Awards.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/