Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What personifications do the New Gods represent?

The New Gods are supposed to be gods, but what concepts do they personify. So far I know that Mister Miracle represents Freedom, Metron is knowledge and Darkseid is tyranny. IIRC The New Gods are sort of descendants to the Norse Gods (Old Gods) and in Norse Mythology there were two clans, the Aesir and the Vanir just like in Fourth World where there are two planets, Apokolips and New Genesis. During the Darkseid War, Superman once became the God of Strength which sort of reminds me of Orion, Batman became God of Knowledge and took Metron's role and Flash became the Black Racer (Death).

Gods of New Genesis
    - Highfather - God of Peace & Wisdom (also Skyfather of New Genesis and communicator of the Source). Parallel equivalent of Zeus/Odin.
    - Metron - God of Knowledge.
    - Mister Miracle - God of Freedom. Parallel equivalent
    - Orion (Dog of War and Apokolyptian origin) - God of War (courage and defense aspect of war) or God of Strength. Parallel equivalent of Ares/Mars.
    - Lightray - God of Light. Parallel equivalent of Apollo.
    - Himon - God of Inventing and Sciences. Parallel equivalent of Hephaestus
    - Bekka - Goddess of Love?.
    - Big Barda - Goddess of Fury?
    - Forever People - Gods/Spirits of Youth.

Gods of Apokolips
    - Darkseid - God of Tyranny & Order. Parallel equivalent of Hades (Apokalypse is like an Underworld), Czernobog or a more darker portrayal of Zeus.
    - Desaad - God of Torture.
    - Granny Goodness - Goddess of Cruelty.
    - Kalibak - God of Battles or God of War (savage and violent aspect of war).
    - Steppenwolf - God of War (brutal and slaughter aspect of war). Parallel equivalent of Ares.

Black Racer - God of Death. Parallel equivalent of the Grim Reaper.

I always throught of Steppenwolf as more of a God of the Hunt, a sort of parallel to the Wild Hunt legend.

The idea of Orion and Kalibak as dual Gods of War is interesting. I would suggest Orion as a sort of deconstruction of Pallas Athena from Greco-Roman mythology and the concept of strategic warfare. Orion isn't a savage but is worse for wear from war.

Metron is an interesting case because he isn't a God of New Genesis. In fact, he predates the Fourth World according to Kirby's orignial stories. He's mercenary, willing to give knowledge to whomever would pay his price. It's an interesting commentary on the inherient amorality of science, especially in the wake of inventions like the atomic bombs and the creation of modern rocketry from former Nazis.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I find important to note that although the Fourth World is made of Gods, they're more of a product of their time than a direct parallel to other mythologies.

Okay, the way I see it, Mister Miracle is the god of Freedom and Barda is the goddess of Freedom fighting. That's why they love each other so much. I'd put Scott as an equivalent to Lord Ganesha and Barda personifies several aspects of Oxum (African/afro-Brazilian deity)

I don't see Granny as the Goddess of Cruelty pér se, but the Goddess of Subjugation. She's the castrating mother that will crush your identity "for your best", make sure you fit in and so on.

Orion, if I had to force a parallel, I would not equate to Ares, but to either Tyr or Ogum (the latter was sincretized with Saint-George, the Dragon slayer, in some countries); he's the God of Righteous combat and anger, his birthright being to smite evil.

It's interesting to note that the archetype of the knowledge God was broken down in 3 by Kirby: Metron, the neutral, amoral scientific knowledge, Himon, for inventness and progress and Desaad, for cruel experimentation and application.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I think the Tyr parallel fits Orion very well. And I suppose an argument could be made for Lightray representing Balder, though I must admit I dont know enough about Lightray to totally stand by that one.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think the Tyr parallel fits Orion very well. And I suppose an argument could be made for Lightray representing Balder, though I must admit I dont know enough about Lightray to totally stand by that one.....
    I think the Apolo comparison fits Lightray very well, even though her has some aspects of Hermes in there too.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I find important to note that although the Fourth World is made of Gods, they're more of a product of their time than a direct parallel to other mythologies.
    I agree.

I think the best clues could be taken if you think of the youth counter-culture of the time period and then also consider that the New Gods were originally supposed to replace the Asgardians over at Marvel.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    - Darkseid - God of Tyranny & Order. Parallel equivalent of Hades (Apokalypse is like an Underworld)
    Hades was not one of the 'bad' gods.
    He was the god of the afterlifes, both good and less good. He was also the god of wealth (because his domain was underground, and gold and such, well, you dig it up out of the ground).
    He was not the satan figure modern adaption cast him as.

I think the Apolo comparison fits Lightray very well, even though her has some aspects of Hermes in there too.
    Beyond the obvious, why do you say this? Like I said, Im not overly familiar with Lightray.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Lightray is definitely the Apollo of the New Gods. The god of light, youth, and beauty. A contrast to Orion who is both aspects of war. His more controlled side is the bravery of the warrior but there is also the savage side just under the surface. The brutality of war. Something he shares with his half-brother Kalibak.

People often forget about Fastbak. The god of speed. In crossovers I think it's more appealing to connect The Flash to the Black Racer.

Desaad is the god of not just torture but sadism. He enjoys watching others suffer and inflicting pain.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-23-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Hades was not one of the 'bad' gods.
    He was the god of the afterlifes, both good and less good. He was also the god of wealth (because his domain was underground, and gold and such, well, you dig it up out of the ground).
    He was not the satan figure modern adaption cast him as.
    I know Hades is not bad, I was using him as a similar equivalent of Darkseid because Apocalypse was like an Underworld in the Fourth World. Maybe Chernoblog is a good equivalent of him.

True, He does have some qualities of Hermes as well as him being a speedster in air.
    Last edited by Incognito; 06-23-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Are there old gods that would equate to Darkseid. Yes he's the god of evil but he's also the god of totalitarianism and power? I guess all gods demand subservience from their worshipers. Which always made me laugh, because even supposed benevolent gods aren't that nice. I'm a god so I'm going to create these tiny amazing beings who can learn and love but if they don't constantly worship me I'm going to torture them. That is definitely sociopathic/psychopathic behavior.

Retired

Orion is named after Orion. He was a hunter--but not a god. Kirby's Orion (or O'Ryan) has to use his Mother Box to subdue his monstrous side. Baldur was the god of light and I think of Lightray as being his equivalent.

I don't believe Kirby intended Darkseid as the god of evil, as Darkseid isn't completely a horrible guy. Maybe he's taken on that aspect with other writers, but Darkseid is more like a god of nihilism. However, he can't be a god of the dead, as Apokolips is a place of the living. The Black Racer of Death takes the dead to Hadis--which I think is beyond the Source Wall. Maybe in his pursuit of the Anti-Life Equation, Darkseid longs for complete death of everyone and everything--including himself. And he probably doesn't see this as an evil mission.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Darkseid is a god of control. His whole goal in life is to subjugate everything.

Granny goodness is a warped earth mother archetype.

The Furies . Lashina(domination,) mad Harriet (masochism) Stompa (sadism)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    I know Hades is not bad, I was using him as a similar equivalent of Darkseid because Apocalypse was like an Underworld in the Fourth World. Maybe Chernoblog is a good equivalent of him.
    Apokalips is nothing like an underworld. New Gods mythology doesn't have a concept of an afterlife, I think.
    It is the planet where the evil gods live.
    The closest thing to a NEw God of the Underworld is probably the Black Racer.

New Genesis isn't heaven, Apokalips isn't hell. Apocalypse is a lame X-Men villain.

Most of the New Gods stuff translates poorly or not at all to classic mythology.

Chernobog and Bielobog superficially seem somewhat similar to Darkseid and Highfather in that they balance each other out. Or should anyway, if DC writers paid attention to how this mythology works.

Above all other things though, Darkseid is a god of Order, specifcally fascism.
    Last edited by Carabas; 06-25-2017 at 03:43 PM.

On a more over-arching scale, IIRC, Kirby's intention was that the New Gods of Apokalips (particularly Darkseid) represent Order and the ones on New Genesis represent Chaos.