Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kirby's New Gods of the Fourth World is rife with idiosyncrasies that only confound writers the further they get from the Source(haha). Kirby was King, sure, but the gods of Apokolips and New Genesis are a like puzzle piece from another puzzle entirely --jammed into place and buckling the rest of the image.

Ugly, rough things bother me like a pea under my mattress, so I sat down with my Google, a timeline, and a postmodern sensibility... and ended up making something that's unrecognizable except as a sprawling science-fantasy Elseworld.

I ended up making all of Darkseid's retinue "corrupted" versions of previously benevolent divinities. Darkseid himself was previously the God of Empathy. So Granny Goodness went from Kindness to Cruetly, and her students emerged as Tortures(Sharp, Blunt, Hot, Cold, Choke, Drain, Mental). Orion could have become malevolent Rage, but is instead focused Anger. I moved Highfather away from "Goodness" and "Wisdom" to something more esoteric and ambivalent for the sake of story: Evolution (learning, changing and improving). Scot becomes Creativity to match HIS father.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 06-26-2017 at 01:35 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    The New Gods are supposed to be gods, but what concepts do they personify. So far I know that Mister Miracle represents Freedom, Metron is knowledge and Darkseid is tyranny. IIRC The New Gods are sort of descendants to the Norse Gods (Old Gods) and in Norse Mythology there were two clans, the Aesir and the Vanir just like in Fourth World where there are two planets, Apokolips and New Genesis. During the Darkseid War, Superman once became the God of Strength which sort of reminds me of Orion, Batman became God of Knowledge and took Metron's role and Flash became the Black Racer (Death).

Gods of New Genesis
    - Highfather - God of Peace & Wisdom (also Skyfather of New Genesis and communicator of the Source). Parallel equivalent of Zeus/Odin.
    - Metron - God of Knowledge.
    - Mister Miracle - God of Freedom. Parallel equivalent
    - Orion (Dog of War and Apokolyptian origin) - God of War (courage and defense aspect of war) or God of Strength. Parallel equivalent of Ares/Mars.
    - Lightray - God of Light. Parallel equivalent of Apollo.
    - Himon - God of Inventing and Sciences. Parallel equivalent of Hephaestus
    - Bekka - Goddess of Love?.
    - Big Barda - Goddess of Fury?
    - Forever People - Gods/Spirits of Youth.

Gods of Apokolips
    - Darkseid - God of Tyranny & Order. Parallel equivalent of Hades (Apokalypse is like an Underworld), Czernobog or a more darker portrayal of Zeus.
    - Desaad - God of Torture.
    - Granny Goodness - Goddess of Cruelty.
    - Kalibak - God of Battles or God of War (savage and violent aspect of war).
    - Steppenwolf - God of War (brutal and slaughter aspect of war). Parallel equivalent of Ares.

Black Racer - God of Death. Parallel equivalent of the Grim Reaper.

In a fic called 'With This Ring' they named Devilance as the new god of hunt.
    Kalibak as the new god of the horrors of war
    Granny Goodness as the new god of child abuse
    And Grayven as the new god of conquest.