View Poll Results: Which one has the most influence on if you will or won't invest in a comic

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Art

25 43.86%
  • Story

32 56.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Art vs story: which one decides a comics fate for you?

Something sparks your intrest in a comic, especially when its a less known or new title. For some its the art, for others its the story. Granted the marriage of both being good is ideal...but sometimes that isnt the case. So if you have to choose which one will have the most influence on if you will invest in a comic or not, is it the art or the story? And why?
    Last edited by Justart27; 06-22-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Mostly story but if the art is just downright awful, I don't care how good the story is.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

In comics, art is king. ...

And with a finite amount of money and space, and many at 4 bucks a pop, the art has to be a favorite for me to stick long term.

I think both need to be at least somewhat passable for a comic to be enjoyable. Usually I lean more towards who's writing it (as well as what the book is actually about). But I've also bought comics solely because I love the artist (guys like Manapul, Sale and Fabok). And didn't care who was writing it.

Although both are important to me, definitely Art can be a deal breaker.
    Everything is visual today. Awesome, well thoughout work can make an average story keep me tuned in and interested.
    Crazy outlandish stuff, blech!
    No thanks. Or if people are drawn severely disproportionately and silly, instant turnoff and tune out.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Story for me. I appreciate great art and have my favorites and all that like everyone, but writing/story is most important for me, just how I'm wired. I see things in terms of stories and writing.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Mostly the art. Good stories can be found in any medium but you can only get good comic art in comics.

I'm very shallow, it's all down to looks for me

Both are extremely important to me, but I'm not going to read a beautiful book with boring and bad writing. Justice League Rebirth is, for the most part, a great looking comic, but I'm certainly not going to read it every month.

I would be sad if bad art brings great writing down, but I would still read it if the writing and/or story is super good.

Obviously, both ideally. But push-comes-to-shove i can tolarate bad art if the story is absorbing but not vice vercs.

When the art is bad I won't pick it up, so the story won't be read by me. When the art is great and the story turns out to be crap I will ditch it, but because of the art I've read it at least. So both need to be great, but the art is the first to decide on.

I like both to be top notch, but I would lean towards the story. If the story is good then I can get by with lesser (but not outright awful) art, whilst a bad story cancels out the art for me. If the art is nice then I might just admire the art, but then I might as well just buy, you know, some art
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Story for me. I appreciate great art and have my favorites and all that like everyone, but writing/story is most important for me, just how I'm wired. I see things in terms of stories and writing.
    I agree, but good art can also elevate a story from okay to pretty good.

Fantastic Member

Having solid art in a comic book/series is critical as to whether I like the book.

I have read comics with lackluster art & great stories, and I'm not impressed at all. If the art either sucks or is just average, I will probably not read (or continue to read) the book.

Conversely, superb art will elevate a comic with lackluster writing any day of the week.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    Having solid art in a comic book/series is critical as to whether I like the book.

I have read comics with lackluster art & great stories, and I'm not impressed at all. If the art either sucks or is just average, I will probably not read (or continue to read) the book.

Conversely, superb art will elevate a comic with lackluster writing any day of the week.
    pretty much the same for me. The art is of primary importance to me...