View Poll Results: Which one has the most influence on if you will or won't invest in a comic

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Art

25 43.86%
  • Story

32 56.14%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Writing although I am a sucker for Jae Lee's art for some reason. As long as it's not stick figures I will stick with it if the writing is good. Case in point: Powers. Phenomenal book but didn't dig the art. Yet I'll still read it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Writing although I am a sucker for Jae Lee's art for some reason. As long as it's not stick figures I will stick with it if the writing is good. Case in point: Powers. Phenomenal book but didn't dig the art. Yet I'll still read it.
    Can't remember the title now, but there was a stick figure comic strip I really enjoyed reading back in high school or something.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Fantastic Member

Oh, buy no means does the art have to be great in any sort of "classical" sense. I could totally love stick figures if it was done well - I love Lemire's artwork because it speaks to me. Mignola...Kirby...just has to appeal to me.

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

For me, it is usually Art that is the deciding factor. If I had to pick between Great Art + Bad Story or Bad Art + Great Story, I would choose the comic with the great artwork. I find that if a comic has really poor art, I can't enjoy a story. On the other hand, if a comic has great art but a lame story, I can at least admire the artwork as I flip through the pages.

Incredible Member

Since I'm artist myself I prefer art over story but there are occasions where a great story makes up for the bad artwork, a good example is The Dark Knight Returns, it's the ultimate Batman story even if Frank Miller's art is crude.

Since comics are such a visual medium, the art is what usually makes or breaks it for me. There have been cases where even poopy art can be tolerated or just not my cup of tea, if the story is good enough.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Mostly story but if the art is just downright awful, I don't care how good the story is.
    This. I've loved mediocre art with amazing story. I've never loved mediocre story with amazing art. However really awful art can ruin even the best story.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Competent art is essential, but I do prefer a good story.

I'd rather have great writing and passable art than great art and passable writing (although this doesn't mean we can't have the combination of great art and great writing.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Has to be the art in a comic book.

Story ranks slightly higher for me. Especially over a longer series. A good story can save bad art. But good art cannot save a bad story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justart27 View Post
    Something sparks your intrest in a comic, especially when its a less known or new title. For some its the art, for others its the story. Granted the marriage of both being good is ideal...but sometimes that isnt the case. So if you have to choose which one will have the most influence on if you will invest in a comic or not, is it the art or the story? And why?

All-New Member

Story. I prefer both great story and art, but somehow i'm more disappointed after i read bad story with great art. I feel the artist wasted his talent (loose example is Forbidden Manuscript - it doesn't have bad but completely average story&characters with very good art, but i ended reading with feeling that art didn't help it much and i wouldn't want to have it in my collection. It's similar with Helldorado, less than average story and interesting art). On the other hand, weird, unusual or at first glance ugly art (Why i killed Peter, Ordinary Victories, City of Glass...) can tell the most amazing, enjoyable, or at-the-edge-of-my-seat story, and make me wanna read it over and over... I was also skeptical before reading V for Vendetta because of art, but quickly i started to enjoy it, partly because it's good and mostly because the story was great. Same will be for Sandman probably, when i wander through pages art mostly seems like a **** (especially how it's colored), but the story will make up for it.
    I'd rather keep on my shelf good story, than heartless art.
    Last edited by JackJocko; 10-25-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: adding new info

Art.

If the art is bad I'll never bother to buy it and so I also won't know if the story is good or not.

I tend to lean towards the art side of things. I can tolerate mediocre stories if the art is amazing, but if the art starts to wane, so does my interest in the title.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I used to think the key was good art...but then the 90s happened, and McFarlane's gig at writing and drawing Spidey showed me that it takes more than good art to make a good comic.

But good art sure as hell helps.