Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Default Is Starfire essentially what Wonder Woman was intended to be?

Don't get me wrong, they are very much quite different, but I feel like a few traits that Kori has are essentially traits that was intended to define Diana. And before someone says it, we know, it's comics so of course writers are going to borrow from established materials.
    • The princess of a foreign land.
    • From a culture that values combat as much as passion.
    • Amazonian physique—While she is officially 6'2" now, Diana has been only 6' & under for years now, compared to Starfire's 6'6"+.
    • General sense of liberation & independence— Diana shouldn't be as sexually liberated as Kori, but her having sex if there's love (friendly or otherwise) would be tasteful.

Ultimately, do you think Diana could have strived if written as a less naive, more assertive, Starfire?
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 06-23-2017 at 06:36 AM.

The tropes you listed are so common in fiction I'll be amazed if Wolfman was even thinking about Diana specifically when he created Starfire.

Yeah, almost every female character with super strength has a weightlifter-like physique. Height is a bit less so.

I was led to believe that Starfire was inspired more from Dejah Thoris.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The tropes you listed are so common in fiction I'll be amazed if Wolfman was even thinking about Diana specifically when he created Starfire.
    Independently? Yes.

Collectively? No.

Starfire and Storm remind me more of each other than Kori and Diana do. That's because of their original costumes similarities, big hair, lack of eyeballs and earthiness.

Retired

The storyline for Starfire in the Perez and Wolfman Titans is a lot like the reboot Perez and Potter Wonder Woman. So there's that. But I don't think Starfire much resembles the original Wonder Woman.

Mighty Member

i always thought they were pretty similar in a lot of ways I think perez wrote them very similarly or one of them had to influence how he wrote the other. They were both doe eyed curly haired women from weird worlds in a fish out of water story.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 06-23-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don't think you can say Starfire's what Diana was INTENDED to be. They just share a lot of similarities.

But ultimately while Starfire and Diana share many things Starfire's less about spreading the idea but instead simply embodying it. While Diana is its living symbol meant to spread the idea around and help bring peace.

Starfire embodies it in her personal life and Diana emobdies it and tries to help others reach that point.

Kori was always quick to anger and killing was often an impulse she was brought down from. Her people were really ruled by their emotions without a lot of filter.
    I dont see Diana​ having that quality .... But I can see similarities between the two.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Don't get me wrong, they are very much quite different, but I feel like a few traits that Kori has are essentially traits that was intended to define Diana. And before someone says it, we know, it's comics so of course writers are going to borrow from established materials.
    • The princess of a foreign land.
    • From a culture that values combat as much as passion.
    • Amazonian physique—While she is officially 6'2" now, Diana has been only 6' & under for years now, compared to Starfire's 6'6"+.
    • General sense of liberation & independence— Diana shouldn't be as sexually liberated as Kori, but her having sex if there's love (friendly or otherwise) would be tasteful.

Ultimately, do you think Diana could have strived if written as a less naive, more assertive, Starfire?
    I don't see it. I don't see the Amazons as "valuing" combat in the same way as the Tamaranians. Considering there are years of Starfire alongside Donna Troy and they are noticeably different in personality, I don't think this holds up.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Kori was always quick to anger and killing was often an impulse she was brought down from. Her people were really ruled by their emotions without a lot of filter.
    I dont see Diana​ having that quality .... But I can see similarities between the two.
    Well true but remember that's largely because of her years as a slave. Her brother and other Tamaraneans are usually peaceful. Combat trained but peaceful much like the Amazons. (Well with exception to Blackfire a whole other thing)

Starfire, Blackfire, and (I wanna say Wildfire) are from an era of Tamaranean civilization where they've been at war with the Gordanians for centuries. Pretty much everyone on their planet LIVES in a warzone.

BANNED

No, I think those traits are largely accidental.

If you look up old interviews with George and Marv, you'd find a mention of Starfire basically being Red Sonja from Outer Space.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Well true but remember that's largely because of her years as a slave. Her brother and other Tamaraneans are usually peaceful. Combat trained but peaceful much like the Amazons. (Well with exception to Blackfire a whole other thing)
    My point was more about theTamaraneans being ruled by their emotions... Quick to love, quick to anger...