Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    This was something I was just thinking about and made me pretty curious. Have there ever been characters who have cheated or been cheated on by a significant other? The only ones I can think of is Jean Loring having an affair (and Ray leaving to some adventure and hooking up with some Princess) and Ollie straying once or twice. I can understand why they don't do it because cheating can often make characters unforgivable to many people like Crystal or Cyclops at Marvel but are there any other examples?
    Well, apparently TPTB at DC felt that the WW mythos could use a little infidelity and backstabbing in it and had Hippolyta be into Zeus despite him being Zeus and all the unpleasantries the myths indicate he is about.

Another vile one was Jesse Quick sleeping with Liberty Belle's boyfriend. That came out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In James Robinson's Starman.
    Normally I hate retcons like that but if it makes sense, it's not as bad. Only things like Sin's Past really piss me off

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Y'know, I was kind of uncomfortable with that (especially on Ted's part) but I think Robinson handled it pretty reasonably for what it was.

Of course, Ted and Dinah both kind of got off pretty well for cheating on their spouses...
    I would have been much more okay with it if they both had briefly separated from their spouses before their affair. I guess the major problem is with me, though - I became fans of both of them before DC started adding the not-very-admirable activity to their stories later on.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Another vile one was Jesse Quick sleeping with Liberty Belle's boyfriend. That came out of nowhere.
    I just read about this. I was like "Wha...?" .

I mean, I knew Jesse had problems with her parents, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I would have been much more okay with it if they both had briefly separated from their spouses before their affair. I guess the major problem is with me, though - I became fans of both of them before DC started adding the not-very-admirable activity to their stories later on.
    I can get that. It does add a seedy element to their team-ups in hindsight, and I just can't see Ted cheating on his wife.

BANNED

I just read about this. I was like "Wha...?" .

I mean, I knew Jesse had problems with her parents, but still...
    Yeah that was during the pre-Graduation Day era of The Titans. Jess had a piss-poor defense about it too.

One for me goes to the that whole Earth Man & Shadow Lass affair in LoSH. Made no sense whatsoever.

It is interesting that none of the main A-listers have really been involved in something like this. Probably DC wanting their biggest heroes to be clean. Oliver Queen seems to be the exception to that. And none of the main love interests have been involved in it either. The Atom is the only major character I can think of whose main love interest cheated on him

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1107 View Post
    Yeah that was during the pre-Graduation Day era of The Titans. Jess had a piss-poor defense about it too.

One for me goes to the that whole Earth Man & Shadow Lass affair in LoSH. Made no sense whatsoever.
    On-top of Shadow Lass dumping Mon-El for him .

In JLA Year One the Golden Age Black Canary tells her daughter she had an affair with Wildcat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Kord View Post
    In JLA Year One the Golden Age Black Canary tells her daughter she had an affair with Wildcat.
    Jeez, that makes two affairs with her fellow Justice Society members. I feel bad for Larry Lance .

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I don't remember that one. Who was the boyfriend?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

There really aren't very many cases of high-profile DC characters being involved in clear-cut infidelity. I know there was Hawkgirl cheating on Hawkman in their first life in the DCAU, but in the comics the ones I can recall are:

Manitou Raven's wife, Manitou Dawn, slept with their teammate Oliver Queen during Justice League Elite.

Deathstroke slept with his son Jericho's fiancee recently, and Jericho had before cheated on her with a much older friend of Deathstroke

Lois Lane was very heavily implied to have been cheating on Clark with Jeb Friedman. I think this can be safely ignored though as it was quickly recognized as a mistake and Jeb was killed off.

Bekka came extremely close to cheating on Orion with Batman.

Hal Jordan bangs Guy Gardner's girlfriend shortly after Guy becomes trapped in the Phantom Zone

Incredible Member

I found this post on another site about Ollie as cheater is a retcon.

1941-1969: Ollie has no real recurring love interest. (There’s Miss Arrowette, aka Bonnie King, Cissie’s mom, but she’s only portrayed as a potential love interest for Ollie in one of her four Silver Age appearances.)

1969: Ollie develops his leftwing hothead personality and falls head over heels for Dinah (who originally was a good ten years older than him, which is a dynamic I love).

1988: While in a committed relationship with Dinah, Ollie is raped by Shado, who bears a child as a result. He has no knowledge of this happening and doesn’t know the child is his.

1993: Ollie is kissed by a teenage runaway he and Dinah have taken in, and Dinah dumps him for not pushing her away.

1995-2000: Ollie dies. Chuck Dixon relentlessly portrays Ollie as a lovable but incorrigible horndog in both Connor’s Green Arrow and Dinah’s Birds of Prey, largely to contrast virginal, shy (and likely queer, deal with it Homophobic Chuck) Connor with his father and to explain some of Dinah’s issues during this period.

2000: Ollie is resurrected in Quiver, which is my favorite Green Arrow story, but has a few terrible moments in it, including one in which he is depicted as willingly cheating on Dinah with Shado.

2002-2016: Ollie is dragged through a decade and a half of character assassination in which more infidelity is retconned into his backstory, he’s revealed to have knowingly abandoned Connor and his mother after Connor was born, he cheats on Dinah some more, their relationship becomes increasingly toxic and physically violent, and everything is terrible. Honestly, I’m not sure how bad it eventually got, because I jumped ship completely after Lian’s death.

2016: Green Arrow: Rebirth happens and my big dumb romantic hippie rascal came BACK and I love him so much I want to cry about it!

Happy they got rid of that Friedman thing and only left it as an implication and then ignored it. That sounds awful

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    1969: Ollie develops his leftwing hothead personality and falls head over heels for Dinah (who originally was a good ten years older than him, which is a dynamic I love).
    Back in '69, I thought the JS'ers were about the same age as the JL'ers.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?