Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Jim Gordon cheated on his wife in Batman Year One

I think Kyle Rayner was still with Star Sapphire when he hooked up with whatshername in "Omega Men."

And back at Marvel, Colossus cheated during Secret Wars.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Oliver Queen is the most egregious example and most of that can be laid at the feet of Judd Winnick. My guess is that the vast majority of his work with the character will be forgotten and never return.

Kendra had a very brief fling with Roy Harper back when Brad Meltzer was writing Justice League. Although, as Ross from Friends would say, she and Carter were on "break" when it happened, so it probably doesn't really count as cheating.

And to be fair, it was implied that Carter may or may not have been involved with Power Girl during the same time frame (although I'm of the belief nothing happened between them).
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Extraordinary Member

There's a quite famous story from John Byrne's Action Comics run where Barda (who's married to Scott Free) and Superman nearly, well, make a sex tape. But I don't know if that would count as infidelity since they were both under mind control at the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Kendra had a very brief fling with Roy Harper back when Brad Meltzer was writing Justice League. Although, as Ross from Friends would say, she and Carter were on "break" when it happened, so it probably doesn't really count as cheating.

And to be fair, it was implied that Carter may or may not have been involved with Power Girl during the same time frame (although I'm of the belief nothing happened between them).
    Wait, did Carter and Kendra actually become a couple in their solo book? Ewwwwwww.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    There's a quite famous story from John Byrne's Action Comics run where Barda (who's married to Scott Free) and Superman nearly, well, make a sex tape. But I don't know if that would count as infidelity since they were both under mind control at the time.
    No. That does not count at all. Like most examples of 'cheating' in the DCU, it's rape, pure and simple.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Wait, did Carter and Kendra actually become a couple in their solo book? Ewwwwwww.
    IIRC, I think in Blackest Night, Kendra confesses (right before dying) that she loves Carter. Then when they're all revived from being Black Lanterns, she remembers all of her past lives and is basically Shiera.

No. That does not count at all. Like most examples of 'cheating' in the DCU, it's rape, pure and simple.
    Yeah, I thought so too. Unfortunately, all we can say is that...it was the 80s. They really weren't the most PC days.

There's already a thread about this.
    IIRC, I think in Blackest Night, Kendra confesses (right before dying) that she loves Carter. Then when they're all revived from being Black Lanterns, she remembers all of her past lives and is basically Shiera.
    I also recall them pretty much becoming a couple during the Palmiotti/Gray run.

BANNED

Yeah, that much I remember (it's one of the worst parts of that dreadful story), but @Hawkman made it sound like the two had a thing going prior to the 2006 JL.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, that much I remember (it's one of the worst parts of that dreadful story), but @Hawkman made it sound like the two had a thing going prior to the 2006 JL.
    Eh, I actually quite liked that story, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Eh, I actually quite liked that story, but different strokes for different folks I guess.
    I also enjoyed that part with the Hawks as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I also recall them pretty much becoming a couple during the Palmiotti/Gray run.
    This. They declared their love for on another and consummated their relationship in the final few issues of Hawkman Vol. 4. The events of OYL separated them off-panel, with Kendra on Earth and Carter on Thanagar, and by the time he came back the relationship was somewhat strained by their sabbatical from one another. That's around where Justice League started off from.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

How the hell that Superman/Big Barda storyline ever got the green light I'll never fathom. Even for back then...

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    How the hell that Superman/Big Barda storyline ever got the green light I'll never fathom. Even for back then...
    Every now and then, DC tries to push the envelope. This was a time they shouldn't have.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oliver Queen is the most egregious example and most of that can be laid at the feet of Judd Winnick. My guess is that the vast majority of his work with the character will be forgotten and never return.
    Not really. Mike Grell was the one who laid the foundation for that and in any case it works for the better since the idea of Ollie being this extremely flawed person who acts by his emotions instead of his brain makes him a much more complex and interesting character, one that knows what he does is bad but most of the time does it anyway which of course, contrasts wonderfully with his career as a hero.

Also, Winick's run is extremely influential since that pretty much was where the idea of Team Arrow was defined and nobody has done a better job at creating a family dynamic for this series than Winick.