Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default When did you start reading X-Men comics?

In what year did you start reading X-Men comics? How old were you at the time? Also, where did you first buy comics i.e. a direct market comics store, bookstore, newsstand, Wal-Mart, etc.?

I started reading X-Men in early 1991 when I was 10. My first issue was X-Factor vol. 1 #67. I bought it off a comics newsstand at a local convenience store.

Among other things, I'm curious about the Boomer vs. Gen X vs. Millennial ratio among posters here.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

92' or 93' shortly after the first season of X-Men... gateway drug.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

1992. I was 8 years old.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Late 80's first books I bought was a packet of Batman books at a Kay Bee Toys. Got into Original X-Factor, X-Men, New Mutants, Spidey, Superman, and West Coast Avengers.

Incredible Member

1973. I was either 8 or 9, I don't recall the exact month that I started. I started reading my uncle's comics. He had the entire original X Men run. This was during the reprint period. Also had all the FF and Spider Man issues. I went from there. Until I dropped them, I read a bunch of titles from both companies(although almost always more Marvel than DC), but always read those 3 things. Obviously, with all the spinoffs, especially Spidey and X Men, it got to be a lot more. I dropped X Men under Morriaon, FF during CIVIL WAR and Spider Man with OMD. Haven't bought a new book since. But 73 is when I started.

1 around 1995-96.

Believe or not, I started with Cable and Deadpool, it was also my first comic, i still remember wondering who the guy with googles was in one of the issues, it was Cannonball.

This was around 2010.

BANNED

Since the womb.

Spectacular Member

I feel like I am way younger than most posters here and also started reading X-Men comics within the last 3 years, that too 100% digitally.

I started reading comics in July 2014, I was 27 years old. This was very soon after watching X-Men Days of Future Past in theaters. I am one of those rare people who, by then, had watched all the X-Men movies (but not X-Men Origins Wolverine, or The Wolverine), watched the 90s X-Men TAS cartoon (but not X-Men Evolution, or Wolverine and the X-Men) but hadn't read a single super hero comic book ever (I had read Asterix and Tintin comics when I was younger). I had read random wikipedia articles about X-Men characters and I remember being thoroughly confused

After watching the DOFP movie, I came across this Wired article - https://www.wired.com/2013/09/x-men-...ntial-stories/ .
    I suddenly felt like trying out the comics. I don't even remember the exact reason really, apart from reading that article.

I got a Marvel Unlimited account and started reading Ultimate X-Men 1-100 .This was before I started reading things in some sequential order and I remember reading Dark Phoenix saga, House of M, Age Apocalypse, basically just jumping around reading X-Men comics from all the eras.
    I have ended up reading quite a lot of X-Men comics in these past 3 years. I also started buying digital comics on Comixology, but most of the reading was on Marvel Unlimited and still is.

The first comics I read were from my buddy's Savage Sword of Conan collection in early 1984. I was 8 at the time and I thought the Conan books were awesome. Crazy hot girls and rampaging violence. For an 8 year old boy this was the stuff of dreams. I'd cut my teeth on Narnia, The Hobbit and the Hardy's Boys so such a visually viseral comic left a real impression. My parents would never have let me read that stuff of course so I'd read them at my friends house.

I got my parents to take me to Warp Comics, the one comic shop I could find in the yellow pages (anyone remember the yellow pages?). I knew they wouldn't let me buy Conan so I look around for something else that I might like that they would be ok with. After looking around a bit this beauty caught my eye and I walked out with it.

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_180.jpg

Once I read it I kept buying them. Once every couple of months I'd get a ride into town and pickup my x-men. Then I found out about the DPS and the Brood saga and I begged, borrowed or stole to read those books. There was no going back after that.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Good times

i started reading month to month several months before X-Cutioner's Song began (#281 i think is where i began). i had read several random issues before though. most from the outback era.

Just a little bit before House of M. Ain't that a bizarre place to start, in retrospect.

This year started reading a bit. Of course watched the shows, movies and kept up with general storylines news and whatnot, but wasn't motivated to read till this year.

BANNED

Late arrival, here. Loved the animated series back in the 90s, but didn't pick up any books until a couple years ago when I stumbled across X-23 on TV Tropes. Innocence Lost and NYX were the first I picked up in Trade.